• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcyclist smashes into rear of truck at high speed

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
Link to Tulsa, OK KJRH

Motorcyclist smashes into rear of truck at high speed
Posted By: Russell Mills

mx_fatal041707.jpg

A motorcyclist moving at an estimated 120 MPH smashed headlong into the rear of a semi rig early Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon, Tulsa police identified him as Brandon White, 25, of Tulsa.
It happened shortly after 1:00 a.m. near the 8100 block of South U.S. 169.
The motorcycle traveled several hundred yards after impact, ending up about 8500 S. U.S. 169. The truck was nearly to 91st Street before it could come to a complete stop.
Emergency responders say the White died instantly, despite the fact he wore a helmet.
He actually impaled himself into the rear of the truck, head first, and was then drug along behind the truck until the driver of the semi could pull it over.
Rescue workers found him dangling from the rear of the truck.
The trucker told officers the impact made him think he'd been hit by another truck.
The medical examiner will try to determine if White might have been intoxicated at the time.
Accident investigators believe his speed at time of impact was around 120 MPH.

Hmmm? 1:00 AM. A motorcycle doing 120mph slams into the back of a semi. Sounds like a little much-needed chlorine in the gene pool to me.

Emergency responders say the White died instantly, despite the fact he wore a helmet.
Well..:doh: no kidding. estimated 120 mph.
"Stupid is as Stupid does Sir!"

we should ban motorcycles that go over 70 mph, and he should of had a complete background and persona check before being issued a license to operate such a dangerous machine.:miffed:

In fact, there should a ban on automatic vehicles as well, if you cant operate a manual transmission, then you shouldnt be allowed to drive.

Alright now, lets not start this up. ;-)

C'mon now. This kid is dead and has left a pained family in his wake. As crazy as what he did may seem we should treat his death with some dignity...

Who knows? Could have had a mechanical failure, such as throttle locked open, etc.

Can't seem to make much of the picture, but thought for a second that I was looking at the remains of an airbag. I wonder if he was on a bike so equipped.

Looks like the remains of bodywork to me.

Hate to see someone die, but you do stupid things, your gonna get hurt

Could be suicide. I remember back in 81 when I was working at the Kawasaki shop here in Tyler. Right down on the corner there was a bike that crashed into the back of a pickup. The owner of the shop had sold the guy the bike. We found out latter his wife had left him and some other things and that he had commited suicide.

Yup like the kids who went by me at 70 in a wheelstand tonight, one to the left one to the right. One of em was looking so unsteady I slowed and had a foot on the brake so I might not run over him if he fell. He veered over slowly close to the median wall and brougt it down.

All ya can do is shake your head and thank the stars you lived through your young dumb days and hope that they do too.

Can't seem to make much of the picture, but thought for a second that I was looking at the remains of an airbag. I wonder if he was on a bike so equipped.

that is actualy whats left of the fuel tank!

How do they know he was doing 120 mph? Is this based on the weight of the vehicle and the severity of the damage or did the cop just pull the number out of the air (I've had experience with at least one clueless cop biased against motorcycles.)?

How do they know he was doing 120 mph? Is this based on the weight of the vehicle and the severity of the damage or did the cop just pull the number out of the air (I've had experience with at least one clueless cop biased against motorcycles.)?

Good Point....I have had the same misfortune, rather than use Newtons laws of Motion and truly calculate the factual speed, some LEO's just swag it, I hope there are none that do that on this list, as it makes for bad relations. My policy is to try to always be accurate and take the time to make a statement that is informed and not a case of open mouth and insert foot to remove all doubt of intellegence! And no I am not a LEO.......:trust: :zen:

I have actually done some accident reconstruction work in my days and it happened to be with commercial trucking. It is not very difficult to determine speed based on several factors...skid marks, impact marks in the road, light dispersion on both vehicles(actual fragment of the lights). Its very detailed but certainly there is a process that will estimate speed at impact very quickly when looking at an accident scene.

When I was a kid in West Germany, Kawasaki's Green Dragon was the bike GI's loved to ride. I was on a Yamaha 50, age 14. A GI with a passenger on a Kaw 750, flying along a country road with a 50 KMH (30 MPH) speed limit. A VW micro-bus pulled out the A&W (first US fast food in Germany) and was slammed into by the bike. I arrived at the scene about 5 minutes after impact.

The front wheel was compressed in the middle; the drum brake pinched to about half its diameter. The forks were slammed back, moving the engine off its mounts. The impact was in front of the driver's side front tire on the VW, taking half the front off, along with the driver's legs.

The rider of the bike flew over the VW and was impaled on a road side pole that marked the edge of the pavement. The passenger from the bike flew through the windows of the VW, onto the road on the other side where he was run over and killed.

The speedometer of the bike was stuck at 82 MPH. That's how the MPs knew how fast that sucker was going.

Don't know if the fella in Tulsa had an electronic speedometer - a mechanical one can tell a tale.

Jesus Mary and Joseph.... What a wreck. I'm glad I lived through my bad decisions. It LOOKS like he made worse ones at some point, but we may never know.

I read elsewhere that he lost his head... literally.
Very tragic for his family and the truck driver.
Youth, speed, and one in the morning. Bad combination.

The speedometer of the bike was stuck at 82 MPH. That's how the MPs knew how fast that sucker was going.

Don't know if the fella in Tulsa had an electronic speedometer - a mechanical one can tell a tale.

most electronic speedometers tell tales also when impact kills power, but in this case I seriously doubt the speedometer survived.

I can only think of two good things that come from this.

1= it was extremely quick and he never felt a thing, so many suffer slow painful deaths.

2= hopefully this story will make someone think and back off and not become another statistic.

most electronic speedometers tell tales also when impact kills power, but in this case I seriously doubt the speedometer survived.

I can only think of two good things that come from this.

1= it was extremely quick and he never felt a thing, so many suffer slow painful deaths.

2= hopefully this story will make someone think and back off and not become another statistic.

I agree with your second point. Seeing several GIs kill themselves on Green dragons and Honda CD-750s made me realize how dangerous motorcycling is.

As my favorite theologian, Dirty Harry, puts it - "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Back