• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Racing the Baja 1000

Good idea on the bike. I would train more on the ST and hare scramble type tracks if you can. The TCCRA lets you practice on sat all day if you want for a small fee.

I am aiming for a mix of both. I find the motocross riding to be much more strenuous and fatiguing than single track so I think it will have a greater and faster impact on my overall fitness.

The nice thing about Cycle Ranch is they have three different tracks I will be training on - a vet track with no real jumps, a sand track with no jumps, and a traditional outdoor motocross track. The sand track, in particular, seems like it is going to be excellent training (I'm expecting a lot of sand in Baja). I do not have extensive sand experience so this track should help me with technique. I have also figured out that, for me, the sand track is easily the most strenuous and difficult of the three tracks. It is a heck of a workout and wears me out very quickly, especially if I'm trying to ride it fast.

That being said, I will likely spend more total hours riding single track than motocross since I already know I can ride at least two hours of single track and I'm not even close to being able to do two hours on a motocross track. When my fitness is to the point where I can ride motocross for 2-3 hours I'm thinking I will be in shape to ride single track for something like 6 hours. Time will tell.

I had issues with arm pump and grip when I raced enduro. I learned to push through it and after the 25 mile mark I was much faster. What helped me most is seat time and pushing during off days (ride without stopping).

I'm with you - more seat time is likely the most important training I can do.

Also, do you have elbow pads or one of those armor jackets. I learned to just barely close the wrist strap on my gloves and ditched the elbow pads as they crossed my forarm to tight to keep them in place. Also, I found that under armor type compression shirts hurt my grip as well. I used to wear some of the cold gear on colder days and I always had arm pump.

I just got an armor jacket. I've never used one before so this weekend was my first time wearing one. I used it both days but did not notice that it made any difference in the rate of fatigue in my arms/grip or in arm pump. I'll be sure to be more observant about it since you mentioned it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just to sound off on what helped me. Like WW, I would say more seat time will help. What helped me was warming up the muscles just before starting (15 minutes or so) getting the blood vessels flowing before you start hammering them. I used a grip strengthening exercise for 2 minutes in each hand.
Then trying to stay farther forward so your hands/arms are not holding you forward. Not recommend for riding sand, sorry, but keep your weight back when riding sand. While riding single track, when it's not too hairy, try to unwrap you fingers and just balance on you palms. :ponder: one finger on the clutch & one on the brake. That did it for me, once I lost the death grip on the bars I stopped having arm pump. But it took a season of enduros and hairscrambles to get my mind to trust that if I balanced myself forward on the bike I could go faster and longer.
Just some random babble and thoughts.

Sam

If you want a good training run in the Caprock Enduro is up in Turkey Texas ths weekend that should get you a good mix of riding in reasonable as possible local conditions to some of what you will see

When, after the race is over and all the dust settles, is the old saying true, " the older I get the faster I was." (???) Never the less, you guys have a ball and be safe. HB

Thanks to all for the advice and comments.

This past weekend I had a noticeable improvement in my fitness. I went to Cycle Ranch on Saturday and spent time riding all three tracks (Vet/GP track, sand track, and the main track). My hands/grip no longer seem to be the limiting factor. I did a 40 minute moto (mostly on the main track) and overall fatigue caused me to stop at 40 minutes, not hand/grip fatigue. After resting for 45 minutes, I then did a 1 hour moto (mostly on the Vet and sand tracks), again with no hand/grip limitation. Overall fatigue caused me to stop.

I noted a few things from this session. First, I've sped up quite a bit (i.e. I'm riding faster), which is a good thing.

Next, I've gotten more comfortable on the sand track which has resulted in it taking less physical effort. The first two times I rode the sand track I was constantly fighting the bike, trying to get it to go where I wanted while trying not to crash. That took a lot of energy. This time around I was a lot smoother and was able to ride more laps without less fatigue. I think that's a good thing since I'm expecting a lot of sand in Baja.

Finally, of the three tracks (Vet, sand, and main) the main track now requires the most effort. It seems to me that jumping is the main variable accounting for the difference in physical effort. The Vet and sand tracks don't have any jumps while the main track has a bunch of them. Now that I've sped up and am jumping quite a bit further on the main track jumps, my guess is that absorbing the force of landing is where the effort is mostly being used.

Overall, I'm pleased with the way my fitness is progressing. However, I've had a health issue pop up that may derail my race plans. It's not super serious and my doctor and I are working through it but it could cause me to miss the race this year. Time will tell.

Next, I've gotten more comfortable on the sand track which has resulted in it taking less physical effort. The first two times I rode the sand track I was constantly fighting the bike, trying to get it to go where I wanted while trying not to crash. That took a lot of energy. This time around I was a lot smoother and was able to ride more laps without less fatigue. I think that's a good thing since I'm expecting a lot of sand in Baja.

:tab The better you get at most anything, the less effort it takes. Watch the extreme enduro stuff and the guys up front make it look EASY, but the guys behind them look like they are getting killed! I've noticed with my own skill progression over the years that I am less fatigued now than I would have been in years past doing the same kind of riding. Fatigue arises from fighting yourself as much as it does from fighting the bike!

In addition to my training rides, I've been working on the bike. The suspension was initially much too stiff but Doc of 812 Suspension Design in Round Rock fixed me up. He installed the correct weight spring for my weight, replaced a broken piston in one of the forks and did a general service on them. Now the forks go up and down like they are supposed to.

The front brake was terrible. I replaced the brake pads, rebuilt the caliper and found a stuck piston, and added a stainless steel brake line. Now I have a front brake that actually stops the bike. Sweet.

I replaced the gas tank (the original one had a frozen bolt), installed some new plastic and then added graphics. Here is the before and after.

_MG_0069-XL.jpg

_MG_0106-XL.jpg

Looks great! I've heard some pretty good things about 812 suspension. I will likely have them do mine when its time. My buddy dropped his bike off with Alan Cotton a few weeks back while he was visiting is family in Austin. It ended up on the 812 Suspension Instagram as a glamour shot. Pretty cool. He texted me the picture and I asked him if that was his garage.... He told me it was the 812 shop. I said "yeah, looked way to organized for your garage"

Last edited:
Not an inch ridden in the race and already the bank account is taking a hit... :-P

However, I've had a health issue pop up that may derail my race plans. It's not super serious and my doctor and I are working through it but it could cause me to miss the race this year. Time will tell.

I hope it all works out for you Richard, hate to see you loose the fitness you've built up and all the work you've done so far.

Maybe this will help motivate you. Brief language problem here (BE WARNED) but I think it's appropriate given the level of seriousness this posses.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI"]Animal House: Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor - YouTube[/ame]

Well...darn it! As of now, I'm out for Baja this year.

My doctors and I agreed that I needed surgery so Friday afternoon I had my gall baldder removed. The surgery went fine and my doctor's tell me I will be back to normal (for me) in about 2 weeks. From that standpoing I'm obviously very pleased.

However, I have a $9000 health plan deductible (which I atribuite to Obamacare regulations) that had to be paid before medical services could be performed. I used my race money to pay for the surgery. I'm glad I had the money but since I spent it on surgery I obviously can't also spend it on racing. So, for now, my Baja 1000 race plans are suspended.

Gallbladder surgery

Two friends meet and following the usual “how are you and what’s up” the first friend asks:
- Everything OK with your gallbladder? Did you undergo surgery?
- Nah, I didn’t. I was taken to the surgery room but couldn’t take it in the end. Just before they put me under, I got up and ran away.
- For real? What were you afraid of? It’s routine surgery. Even more routine than taking your tonsils or your appendix out.
- I’m not arguing but this is how it went… Two nurses and an anesthesiologist were standing above me and kept on repeating the same thing, over and over again… “don’t worry about a thing” … “everything is going to be fine”… “it’s a very simple operation, you’ll see..”
- It’s true. That’s how it is. I still fail to understand you. Why did you run away?
- I ran away because they weren’t talking to me. They were addressing my surgeon!

Richard, I happy to hear the procedure was successful, sad to hear you had to deal with this at all, sounds painful from where I am sitting.

Bummer about the cost of medical care these days, it is insane. We pay huge premiums with massive deductibles and I doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Good news is there is always next year :)

Gallbladder surgery

Two friends meet and following the usual “how are you and what’s up” the first friend asks:
- Everything OK with your gallbladder? Did you undergo surgery?
- Nah, I didn’t. I was taken to the surgery room but couldn’t take it in the end. Just before they put me under, I got up and ran away.
- For real? What were you afraid of? It’s routine surgery. Even more routine than taking your tonsils or your appendix out.
- I’m not arguing but this is how it went… Two nurses and an anesthesiologist were standing above me and kept on repeating the same thing, over and over again… “don’t worry about a thing” … “everything is going to be fine”… “it’s a very simple operation, you’ll see..”
- It’s true. That’s how it is. I still fail to understand you. Why did you run away?
- I ran away because they weren’t talking to me. They were addressing my surgeon!

:drums:

When I first saw this thread I told a couple of buddies that it was a joke. Like an April fools joke :mrgreen:

When I first saw this thread I told a couple of buddies that it was a joke. Like an April fools joke :mrgreen:

Just to be clear- this was not a joke. Our intent was to race Baja this year and this threads purpose was to document the prep and process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well...darn it! As of now, I'm out for Baja this year.

My doctors and I agreed that I needed surgery so Friday afternoon I had my gall baldder removed. The surgery went fine and my doctor's tell me I will be back to normal (for me) in about 2 weeks. From that standpoing I'm obviously very pleased.

However, I have a $9000 health plan deductible (which I atribuite to Obamacare regulations) that had to be paid before medical services could be performed. I used my race money to pay for the surgery. I'm glad I had the money but since I spent it on surgery I obviously can't also spend it on racing. So, for now, my Baja 1000 race plans are suspended.

Sorry about your problems Rich.. On the bright side you are going to be fine. At least it happened early enough where its possible to change plans and not a month out..
Best of luck on a speedy recovery..:rider:

Sorry about your problems Rich.. On the bright side you are going to be fine. ...

You're right. I am very grateful that the surgery went well and that I seemingly will be able to return to doing all the stuff I like to do. In the big scheme, that's certainly the most important thing.

Must have been all that greasy Mexican food and beer... :-P

Here's to hoping for no post surgery issues :thumb:

This just gives you more time to train and makes the final story more interesting ;-)

Sorry to hear that fellas. Glad you're doing ok Rich.

On the bright side, You have another whole year to prep for the next one. That's q lot more time to work on logistics and physical readiness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that fellas. Glad you're doing ok Rich.

On the bright side, You have another whole year to prep for the next one. That's q lot more time to work on logistics and physical readiness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Well I was seeing a urologist for sore testes. I went to Baja last month and came home cured. Against the doctors order I might add. I'm just saying.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

so Friday afternoon I had my gall baldder removed.

The only good thing about it is "they don't grow back" :clap: But there must be a cheaper way to get rid of them...??? :ponder: $9000... are they charging by the ounce?

But I don't agree about the Mexican food & beer. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. :eat:

Pass another cerveza por favor. :chug:

Speedy healing Richard. :thumb:

Sam

Back