• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The WHERE YA GONNA EAT IN WACO thread

Cycledelic Relic

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Powers
This has come up several times over the years....now its time to devote a thread to it. Cant do the same thing in DFW or Austin...San Antone or Houston.... Too big an area... No one wants ta ride or drive 20+ miles in city traffic jus for lunch...breakfast or supper
Waco is still small enuff to drive across town for good eatin.
WHATCHA GOT??

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

{copied from a thread that jumped the tracks}

One of the nice things about Waco is that nothing is really that far away or hard to get to. My goto breakfast place is Kim's on Waco Dr and 26th. Good CFS and steak fingers as well.
You've got Olive Branch downtown (never been), several locations of Cafe Cappuccino, Egg and I (never been) and I'm sure many more that i don't know about or recall. George's on Speight does breakfast, they're better known for Big-O's. If you want to wait a couple of hours, there's Magnolia Table of Chip and Joanne fame (never been)on the circle.

On the same parking lot as Magnolia Table is the Health Camp. Funny name, nothing healthy there.Very good to great burgers and fries....awesome shakes and malts. Go after 2pm to escape the Magnolia parking fiasco.

Cupp's burgers on Speight is just around the corner. Old fashioned greasy hamburgers and home cut fries. Limited seating and short hours. They used to do breakfast, not sure if they still do. Steak fingers are hand cut and hand battered

Double R burgers on Herring is old school as well. Constantly wins reader awards.
Closer to you is Dave's Burgers, another good choice.
Other side of town is Tom's Burgers and Whizbangs.
China Spring has Griff's with good just about everything. Plate lunches to steak fingers. May do breakfast as well, but I'm never on that side of town that early.

I'm sure I've left out a lot.

And then there are the chains.

Last edited:
Have not eaten in Waco lately. I think the last time I was there we ate at Georges in Hewitt. Kims looks really good on there web site. Thanks Phil.

Phil got us off to a good start....
I'd add Cristy's Burgers in Bellmead to the list... & Frekin Gud BBQ too...great sauces

Baris on Valley Mills for Italian (they are also in Bellmead) ...a $6 lunch!! really?
Theres always Poppa Rollos for pizza on The Valley or Hewitt ...but I usta go to Double Daves on New Road for the buffet
Portofino's downtown on Austin is really good Italian.. my cousin Mark waits tables there

My aunt suggested Butter My Biscuit in Beverly Hills ..Southgate Ctr... Its great if a little pricy...but ALL HOME MADE!! Really a sandwich shop..but based around biscuits
Saucees Southern Kitchen on 11th is also a good home made buffet for $10-12...hope they stay the course

La Fiesta on Franklin @ Valley Mills has THE best carne guisada!...& lots of other good stuff like mix n match lunches
Valle's Mexican is rite next door to Baris on Valley Mills... The owners usta hav a place in McGregor...Its all good ..& reasonable $$
More ta come...

Last edited:
You have Viteks for BBQ over by Baylor,

Torchys Tacos always a good spot

And what is the name of that 50s style Burger Place Downtown

And dont you guys have a Twisted Root they are always good Burgers

Waco is a frequent stop for a meal on my way home, Used to like the Elite but have not tried it since it became an internet destination from that home show couple

Last edited:
Bud...that 50s place youre talkin bout has got to be Kim's on Waco Dr @ 26th St

Phil mentioned them earlier

Jakes Texas Tea House is the place my lovely wife remembered for me

I used to go to Kitok's when I was going to school in Waco. No not Baylor, TSTC or TSTI as it was known then. If you don't care for Korean, try the hamburgers and oriental fries.

I used to go to Kitok's when I was going to school in Waco. No not Baylor, TSTC or TSTI as it was known then. If you don't care for Korean, try the hamburgers and oriental fries.

Double lip locker.....I haven't been there in years.

When I went to school there in the late 70's, Georges was just a hole in the wall and it was awesome. The ONLY Big O they had then was ice cold Bud.

Anyway I remember a place just out in the country on the north side, it was a no nonsense steak place. It seemed like the steaks covered the plate, and when I say not fancy I'm talking about white bread and jar of squeeze margarine on the plastic tablecloth. But dang - what a great steak. Sorry I don't know the name, maybe some of the residents know or remember it?

Word was they served their own beef.

Sic 'em

Dave (class of 1980)

We usta have lunch there for birthdays when I was workin for the Housing Authority 2010-12.... Course...nobody could order a steak

Well mabe a chopped or CFS....budget constraints ya kno.... °¿°

Rod, I stopped the other day at Captain Billy Whizbangs for a burger and some fries. I know they have been around a while. Back when I lived in Waco before I never really went there. The burger was good and tasty and put together neatly,. Good burger, no doubt, but the fries!!!!! Oh man, Oh man!!! They were heavenly. Probably some of the best I have ever had. I know, it sounds stupid but I am not a Fry guy and usually I will just order a burger with a drink and skip the fries. I'll never skip them at the Captains, lol. I'll definitely be heading back just to see if they have a chili and cheese fries on their menu, lol...

901 Lake Air drive
Waco, TX

When I went to school there in the late 70's, Georges was just a hole in the wall and it was awesome. The ONLY Big O they had then was ice cold Bud.

Anyway I remember a place just out in the country on the north side, it was a no nonsense steak place. It seemed like the steaks covered the plate, and when I say not fancy I'm talking about white bread and jar of squeeze margarine on the plastic tablecloth. But dang - what a great steak. Sorry I don't know the name, maybe some of the residents know or remember it?

Word was they served their own beef.

Sic 'em

Dave (class of 1980)

George's is still a hole in the wall, they just got more parking lot now, lol... Still great food though.

Well Rod, it's been several years since I rode over to pick up that Teiz mesh riding suit you had in the classifieds (totally cool tho I still haven't worn it :doh:) and your buds at the bike shop vectored me to La Familia on La Salle. It is a teeny little place but I thought the food was as good as I've had anywhere, including Margarita's in Ocean Beach, CA, where, I'm told, the line still wraps around the block on Sunday mornings. Still have the address in the GPSs.

Lone Star Steakhouse. Still there,been through several owners since then.

That's it !! Thanks - I've been wanting to go back but could never figure out what it was called and exactly where it was. $16 t-bones? Calling my name ...

THANKS!

Dave.

Brown house cafe, it’s behind the Walgreens in woodway. Good chow there.

Mr Greek, 24hr place just opened at 26th and Waco Dr. Good middle eastern food and Greek stuff too. I drop in there when I’m out on call at 2am. Nice folks, they also have a Middle Eastern grocery store in there too.

Jaliscos on Hewitt dr is one of my favorite Mexican places in town. They actually have some good authentic stuff there instead of the usual Tex-mex stuff that you find everywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's it !! Thanks - I've been wanting to go back but could never figure out what it was called and exactly where it was. $16 t-bones? Calling my name ...

THANKS!

Dave.
Definately NOT in Waco....but good remarks from KamLeeR on the steaks...
Shorty's in Purmela..west of Gatesville
I saw the steaks come out to the table...looked tasty....
Ok...now back to out regularly scheduled town....Waco

Definately NOT in Waco....but good remarks from KamLeeR on the steaks...
Shorty's in Purmela..west of Gatesville
I saw the steaks come out to the table...looked tasty....
Ok...now back to out regularly scheduled town....Waco

Sorry - to be more specific it is Lone Star Tavern and Steakhouse on Bellmead Dr. In the area anyway ...

When I was there as a student we ate microwave burritos from the 7-11 with quarters we found behind the soda machines. There was a place called Mothers that had a spaghetti special on night a week that was a godsend. Closed now but what a great place for cheap beer and music right off campus.

My wife and I really like the Bella Luna Italian Bistro, in the old Chilli's building at Valley Mills and Bosque. It feels like a family-run restaurant, but I don't know that's really the case.

135 Prime Steakhouse in Hewitt

If you want expensive

135 Prime Steakhouse in Hewitt

If you want expensive

Why would I want expensive? I used to like the Texas Cafe, or whatever it was called, next to it, before it closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back