• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battle of the Bulge

FAT MAN NOT AS FAT
Down 49 lbs and still counting

2/6/2017 - 284 lbs
2/26/2017 - 275 lbs
3/3/2017 - 270 lbs
3/7/2017 - 265 lbs
3/17/2017 - 260 lbs
4/5/2017 - 255 lbs
4/13/2017 - 250 lbs
5/14/2017 - 245 lbs
6/29/2017 - 240 lbs
8/15/2017 - 235 lbs

d3c069eb37d354d23ee488ffa95e006d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to hear, keep up the good work!

FAT MAN NOT AS FAT
Down 49 lbs and still counting

2/6/2017 - 284 lbs
2/26/2017 - 275 lbs
3/3/2017 - 270 lbs
3/7/2017 - 265 lbs
3/17/2017 - 260 lbs
4/5/2017 - 255 lbs
4/13/2017 - 250 lbs
5/14/2017 - 245 lbs
6/29/2017 - 240 lbs
8/15/2017 - 235 lbs

d3c069eb37d354d23ee488ffa95e006d.jpg

I may have some riding gear to kick you way now that you have downsized. Pants and possibly a jacket.

Way to go! There is no better motivation to loose weight than a CDR ride!

No I'm not talking about the WW2 offensive, but rather my mid-section bulge. My reason for this posting is to make public my battle and goals among friends and to make myself publicly accountable.

I did something like this years ago when I decided to quit smoking. I had tried (in secret) many times but failed. I never had to tell anyone I failed because no one knew I had tried. Once I made my goal to quit smoking public, I could not be seen anywhere with a cigarette and I would have the embarrassment of everyone knowing I failed. It worked, and that was about 25 years ago. Now I have a new addiction that is killing me.

This came about because of my desire to ride the Continintal Divide Route (CDR) this spring. Yes, this will be attempt #3, but that is a different story. Although I'm retired, my kitchen passes are normally limited to 2 weeks (longer than that, the dishes start to stack up), but this trip was looking to be at least 3 weeks. My good friend Hizzo pleaded with the Saint for an extended pass and she reluctantly agreed but with the stipulation that I get in better shape so that she does not have to deal with retrieving my fat corpse from the middle of nowhere because I had keeled over from a heart attack.

With this goal, I started to do some research and found with my weight and height I have now achieved the honorable status of MORBIDLY OBESE! obese is one thing, but morbidly obese is, well ... morbid. Obese can always be glossed over with nice terms like "Husky", "on the heavy side"', etc. There is nothing you can do with morbidly obese. That's just plain FAT. I have to lose the "morbidly" from my classification.

Some time back, another TWT friend (Time To Ride) and I were talking about health goals and we agreed that I needed to lose weight and he needed to stop chewing tobacco. He quit chewing for a while but I did not live up to my end of the bargain and he has returned to chewing. Now that I have publicly called him out he has to quit chewing as long as I live up to my end of the deal.

Physically I am 65 and the thought of having to slow down because of my age and health is depressing. I can't do much about my age, but I recognize I must get in better condition if I want to continue to have good adventures.

I'm asking for your support, encouragement and damnation if I fall off the wagon. About once a week I will post my current weight and what I have done to condition my body.

So, here is the starting point.

Height 5'10
Weight: 287 lbs.

Oh no i'm sorry, I honestly didn't know. :uhoh:

I switched my forum settings so that the newest posts show first. When I clicked on this thread originally my instict was to click the last page (which used to show the newest by default) and quoted your post thinking it was the latest and didn't notice timestamp.

I'm still happy that you lost the weight. It's something i've struggled with for many years. I've lost then gained, then lost, then gained more. I've been slipping alot lately eating fast food when my schedule gets busy. Combine that with the fact that I have a bad habbit of eating big meals less often, really takes a toll.

Well actually that trip did not end well. I did lose some weight, 260ish down from 287, and went on the trip. That trip ended with a collapsed lung and 6 broken ribs. I'm done with the CDR.

Not only did I fall off the diet wagon.

I dragged it into the woods, set it on fire, and used the insurance money to buy TWINKIES.

But the twinkies are gone, the wagon has been reconstructed and starting today, I am crawling back on that wagon.

I dragged it into the woods, set it on fire, and used the insurance money to buy TWINKIES.

But the twinkies are gone, the wagon has been reconstructed and starting today, I am crawling back on that wagon.

At least you could have shared with me. I like twinkies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The struggle is real!!!

Dangit Bob!
We are human, not perfect by any means.
Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep trying.
Thanks for updating us.
Support you in spirit.

The struggle SUCKS!!! I hate the stupid wagon! :doh:

Keep up the fight.

Bob,

I have lost 56 pounds and I think about how great losing it was and how good I feel. I was wearing size 44X30 levis. I was just barely 5'8" and I weighed 260 pounds. Right now I am trying to get under 200, I am stuck at 204 -207 back and forth, up and down. Every day i struggle with it. Today, I rode my Gixxer and loved it. That is good motivation. I put on a KTM shirt that I have had for 2-3 yrs and I was too fat. Now it is almost too big. In March my A1C was almost a 9.0, my latest was 5.3. I am feeling better than I have in a long time. I think what is working for me is that I love to feel better. There are many things that are better. I have made a pretty big shift. I weigh every day, I try to decide if I am going to cheat a little or not. When I am steadily dropping I cheat a bit. When it levels off I try to start back and ride the wagon.
So, my point? I have more than one, it is what I do.
1. You got to the 230's, great work
2. You stayed there! More great work
3. You clearly know how to lose weight and maintain it.
4. You are a man, a human, a mortal, the flesh is weak my friend, but you came a long way.
5. You may have stumbled, but not fallen
6. You can do it.

I have days where I think the whole ordeal sucks, then I think about how bad I felt and how much better I feel now. I can hop in and out of the bed of my truck, I can run up and down stairs. I am about to start hitting the race track again and really ride, I haven't in quite a while.

I haven't weighed this "little" since the early 80's. I feel great, and I bet you do too. Do it for yourself, sir. You are worth it. No better thing than wearing those 34X30's and looking at how tiny they look compared to what I was wearing.

The wagon ain't so bad, and they always let you back on when you fall.

Good luck, I missed this all summer, would have helped me, sir.

Thanks,

Doug

April at COTA with Ferraci!

IMG_1527.jpg

A couple of days back enjoying the new digs in the throes of moving

20171011_111656_0011.jpg

Last edited:
Keep on trucking brother, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I liked the way exercising(walking to begin with, sit up crunches and kneeling push ups) and even lighter weights when I started back working out a year ago made me feel. It makes doing daily things easier and having more energy is a bonus. Do what you can, and keep doing it. You WILL get to where you want to be.

Last edited:
Back