• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT @ TORCS Eagle Lake 4/14

Rsquared

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I met up with some fellow TWT members at the TORCS Eagle Lake race on Saturday. Wow, what a fun course. A lot of elevation changes, very tight, with only a few open fast staights. Just crazy fun! I met up with Irishcoffee, Woodsguy, and Centextom and family.

DSC00588.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

Anyway, I wore my helmet cam and attached a video link of the first lap. I know these are pretty boring to most folks, but if you want an idea of what the course was like, here you go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow2LshWM-d0"]TORCS Eagle Lake - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I wanna ride I wanna ride I wanna ride... Haven ridden ZARS, OUTLAW and CYCLELAND, looks like a whole lot of fun to me. Also looks like you place pretty good. Top 5?

I wanna ride I wanna ride I wanna ride... Haven ridden ZARS, OUTLAW and CYCLELAND, looks like a whole lot of fun to me. Also looks like you place pretty good. Top 5?

To be honest, I didn't wait around for the results, so no idea of my actual finish, they'll post them tomorrow. What you didn't see was a get-off in the second lap, where I lost quite a few spots, trying to catch my breath. But, I didn't get hurt (too bad), finished the race, and had a blast... So it's all good.

Next race is the 28th at Freestone, join in.

Roger you're kind to that place, lol! Seriously it was fun but tough. made me feel like the 60 y/o that I am. But nice to hang out with y'all. next time TORCS says it has elevation changes I'll be aware. The climbs weren't too bad, fairly steep and loose sand, but what made them intersting was the lack of a run at them. lol

The start took my breath after what happened in mine with Howard and his endoing into me. I have a tire mark on the back of my arm. Scary stuff but he was alright.

thanks for sharing the video.... my son and i love to watch the videos....

looked like fun...

how many laps did you make? was it run for a certain amount of time??

i am sure i would of had some trouble with the elevation changes :lol:

Most folks got 5-6 laps. The time is 70 minutes, but we start in rows by classes. So clock starts with first row, the further back you are you lose a few minutes. We start a minute apart. So I'm on row 7 I believe so I only have 63 minutes. But you still finish your lap so I think I ended up riding 70 minutes.

His video doesn't do the climbs justice, the course helpers had their hands full. Where we started on the first lap we had several bottlenecks and there just wasn't a way around.

Most folks got 5-6 laps. The time is 70 minutes, but we start in rows by classes. So clock starts with first row, the further back you are you lose a few minutes. We start a minute apart. So I'm on row 7 I believe so I only have 63 minutes. But you still finish your lap so I think I ended up riding 70 minutes.

His video doesn't do the climbs justice, the course helpers had their hands full. Where we started on the first lap we had several bottlenecks and there just wasn't a way around.

sounds like fun... I am sure all of you had a great time.... a few of the climbs looked pretty big :eek2:.... I am sure there were bottlenecks there.... :giveup:

I have been keeping track of the TORCS series, and hope to participate (finish last) in some soon (D class)... :rofl:

Trying to get some experience at Rio and by hitting a few of the TRH races this year... just trying to get better at riding.... I'm old, overweight and slow....:rider:

Good video Roger! Looks the the course was laid out and well marked.
I wish I would have made this one...

Great video! Looks like a fun trail. Thanks Roger.

I ran the Extreme race in Bryan. Talk about elevation changes! Jiminey Crickets! We were running up and down stuff that looked like places where motorcycles have no business trying to go. The dirt was solid and if you carried some momentum and didn't fall into a rut going up or coming down...and could keep the front wheel down...remarkably it worked. One peak was so sharp (think of an inverted V) that a guy got high centered on top and then fell all the way down while trying to get the bike off. There was NO coming over the tops with power cause the dang trail was guaranteed to either drop - darn near - straight down the other side or make a wicked turn and then drop straight down. This was some of the most challenging stuff I've ridden so far. Several folks turned around, went back to camp, loaded their bikes and left.

I finished the practice round without incident and came back to camp sucking wind like a new Hoover. That's when my wife asked me how come several bikes came back early from the same way they'd left. Then I took off my helmet...

The race started 15 minutes later and I honestly wasn't sure if i had it in me. Something wasn't right and it wasn't just fatigue. The bike was running like a champ but the rider was pretty shaky. I hit the Gatoraid and a candy bar trying to get some energy going while the family next to us were loading bikes onto their trailer. The temptation to call it a day seemed pretty attractive right about then.

They sounded the call and I figured "what the heck...I came to race...worst that could happen is I'll get killed." We ran a good start and I'd managed to pass 3 or 4 folks along the way...but then we were just getting to the hard stuff. We were in the woods and just before the first pretty good drop down into a creek bed, I hesitated to see if there was a big washout on either side. That's when I saw the rider at the bottom...not moving and with a wrecked bike on him. He had found the gully I was looking for and had flipped over coming down with the bike landing right on him. Young guy...14 years old on a two stoker.

I parked my bike at the top and set my helmet and gloves on the side of the trail where the guy was laying...hoping folks would have sense enough to go to the other side and not fall on him. The kid started moaning, he came around. I did what little I knew to assess his injuries. Seems like we sat there for an awful long time before someone came along.

Long story short, they finally brought in a 4 wheeler and a board. He was busted up in a couple places. We got him out and they loaded him into a helicopter out on the highway. By then the race was long since over. Maybe next time...

My problem was coming down with the virus crud my wife had this past week. What timing! :headbang:

Thanks Roger, excellent video. I really enjoyed seeing some of it above third gear. Always wondered what those last two were for. I have ridden almost zero in the last six months and with none of that being a race I was totally unprepared physically. I was on my third lap and got caught in a bottle neck on one of the updown-updown-updown areas and lost it energy wise. But it was so much fun and the company was so great I will be going to Freestone. My body may be whipped but FINALLY my bike is performing great. My pledge is at least five to seven pushups and a couple situps per week. Move over guys, here I come. Glad you are fine Rob(WoodsGuy), that crash looked very bad from the rear. My friend Howard is on cumedin and I was very worried he may have done something internal. He landed flat on his face and was basically inert for a few seconds. Really scared me. Was great to meet CenTex Tom and his family, very nice people.

MAN!! Both races sound like a lot of mayhem, and destruction, but it did still look like fun:brainsnap:flip::eek::giveup: Sure hope I can make the next one.
Rg sure glad you came up on that young man and helped him, sure hate to see those bad crashes, also loved your story as always

Last edited:
And thanks to CenTex Tom and family for the hospitality with the pop up shade. I do wish it was red or blue though. ;-)

I figured "what the heck...I came to race...worst that could happen is I'll get killed."

That's the Spirit! :clap:

I hate to see someone get injured while just trying to have some fun. Hopefully, that young man that was injured will have a speedy recovery.

(Update: I found this over on TON, I believe refering to the young man you're talking about).

"Devin is fine. They stopped by after the race. Nothing broke or fractured. Some deep tissue bruising all the way around and a bruised lung. Hes going to be real sore for a while!"

Last edited:
THAT IS GOOD NEWS! Thanks Roger! When they left with him on the board they said he probably had fractured a pelvis, leg, knee and ankle. Hard to say which since it all seemed messed up. The thorax damage was the most troubling cause it just hurt in all the wrong places. Devin handled it well the whole time. Once the adrenaline started wearing off he was hurting. But, the worst pain I saw on his face was when I asked him if his folks were back at camp. The young man has a lot of pride.

That's the Spirit! :clap:

I hate to see someone get injured while just trying to have some fun. Hopefully, that young man that was injured will have a speedy recovery.

(Update: I found this over on TON, I believe refering to the young man you're talking about).

"Devin is fine. They stopped by after the race. Nothing broke or fractured. Some deep tissue bruising all the way around and a bruised lung. Hes going to be real sore for a while!"

Back