• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there anybody who is trailering from DFW, that have room for me and my bike?

Hey Deersplitter, plan is to camp... Awesome place called Silver Campground... We stayed there last year... Really nice campground...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. The host Mark and his wife are good people. Hope he's there this year.

A town just NW of Denver got another 42in last weekend.
I was n contact with a friend in Colorado springs that rides extensively in the mountains and he`s saying most of the high stuff will still be closed.

Last edited:
Looking for a group to ride with, will be staying in hotels. I can trailer two maybe 3 bikes. Planning on going to Albuquerque and riding to SCity and from SB back to Albuquerque.

Thanks

Where are you starting from? Fort Worth here.

Same, F800gs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You riding out? 3 of us are riding out Friday morning. Early. Plans are to hit freeway until after Weatherford (still in discussion). Than 180 to New Mexico. We plan to Camp, but would get lodging if weather was real bad. :)

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Well I have acosted a fella John @ the local cycle gear. I am tagging along with him for the initial day. He is also leaving early Friday morning

Never done a snow ride in June. I have no heated gear, but plenty of good layers. Should I be rethinking my gear, or am I overthinking my gear?

I am bringing my 8 yer old turmaster heated jacket liner, not the gloves but I have heated seats and grips on my 1290. I hate frozen hands.

Just changed my chain and both sprockets, should have paid for it but trying to save cash for this trip now. Now there's is talk of proper cold weather gear? Guess I am going with the good layers technique. So the original post stated 40 degrees as a low? Is this a sustained day long riding scenarios up in the mountains? I mean it's June how cold can it be?

Last edited:
While I am not joining you all on this ride I was there late last September and tried to ride from Durango to Silverton on the road when a light snow started. Temp was 38 and I had to turn around after about 45 mins and head back. No electric gear but lots of layers. Basically it was my hands that did me in. Guess I would try heated gloves next time, but the cold weather gloves didn't even come close to working at that temp. They were ok at 45 but 38 was insane. Good luck guys!

While I am not joining you all on this ride I was there late last September and tried to ride from Durango to Silverton on the road when a light snow started. Temp was 38 and I had to turn around after about 45 mins and head back. No electric gear but lots of layers. Basically it was my hands that did me in. Guess I would try heated gloves next time, but the cold weather gloves didn't even come close to working at that temp. They were ok at 45 but 38 was insane. Good luck guys!

I have heated grips and I guess I will bring the heavy gloves. Good pants and boots but I do not have the Electro-butt warmer!!!

At this point in time I will be leaving out of Fort Worth Friday the 9th just after 4pm riding to Monahans TX, and camping the night. Slabbing it Saturday to Silver City.

Anyone else planning on a late start?

At this point in time I will be leaving out of Fort Worth Friday the 9th just after 4pm riding to Monahans TX, and camping the night. Slabbing it Saturday to Silver City.

Anyone else planning on a late start?

I'll be leaving midland on the morning on then 10th are u staying at the sand hills ? Mind if I ride with u

Never done a snow ride in June. I have no heated gear, but plenty of good layers. Should I be rethinking my gear, or am I overthinking my gear?

If you can swing the money, a heated jacket liner is a great investment in comfort. I personally use the warm and safe brand.

The long range forecast is looking great.

I just checked the 10 day forecast for Steamboat Springs, CO - thinking it is likely to be the coldest area of the entire ride. The morning lows are in the 40s and the afternoon highs are in the 70s.

While a cold front and/or snow can always show up, I'm guessing we won't be riding in 30 degree weather except on the highest passes.

I just checked the 10 day forecast for Steamboat Springs, CO - thinking it is likely to be the coldest area of the entire ride. The morning lows are in the 40s and the afternoon highs are in the 70s.

While a cold front and/or snow can always show up, I'm guessing we won't be riding in 30 degree weather except on the highest passes.

Richard,

Have you done any checking on what kind of reroutes we may have due to snow at higher elevations?

Richard,

Have you done any checking on what kind of reroutes we may have due to snow at higher elevations?

Rich,

I started looking last week but haven't come up with definitive reroutes yet.

I've been looking at the paper maps of the route (published by the Adventure Bicycling Association - highly recommended) and it appears, as best as I can tell, that we won't reach any highest passes until the second half of day 3.

I have been attempting to determine which passes on our route are closed but the websites I've checked have not showed the passes we will be crossing.

I'm going to assume the high passes will be snowed in and will be working on bypasses for us. I will post them once I get the bypasses complete.

Rich,

I started looking last week but haven't come up with definitive reroutes yet.

I've been looking at the paper maps of the route (published by the Adventure Bicycling Association - highly recommended) and it appears, as best as I can tell, that we won't reach any highest passes until the second half of day 3.

I have been attempting to determine which passes on our route are closed but the websites I've checked have not showed the passes we will be crossing.

I'm going to assume the high passes will be snowed in and will be working on bypasses for us. I will post them once I get the bypasses complete.
Thanks, I have been looking as well without much luck of figuring it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back