• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dang!

Reaction score
I don't ride home the same route I take to work. Unbeknownst to me they resurfaced one of the roads on my route to work yesterday and left loose gravel all over the place. So this morning I come along in the dark, lean the bike over to turn on to the newly resurfaced road and just as I begin to apply the throttle the back end steps out and I came as close as I've come to dumping a bike in a number of years. I think the Trophy's traction control probably kept me up right because by the time I reacted it was all over and that's when I saw the new black road surface. The road hadn't been restriped yet so they are not finished, but there are no "road construction ahead" signs so I had no inkling what was ahead.

Wow! Glad you got through it okay. Short of ice, I think gravel scares me worse than just about anything. We have it slung across curves in lots of our rural roads by construction trucks.

If you've ever fallen on gravel, hurts like heck, too. Not that I'd know......

Been there! I, too, had almost dumped the bike; as well as the contents of my colon. :lol2:

... resurfaced ... roads ... left loose gravel all over the place.... back end steps out and I came as close as I've come to dumping a bike in a number of years. I think the Trophy's traction control probably kept me up right....

Glad you made it thru OK. I've scratched up bikes and broken mirrors a couple of times in similar situations (no traction control).

Glad you made it thru OK. I've scratched up bikes and broken mirrors a couple of times in similar situations (no traction control).

Glad you are ok! Williamson Cty. is repaving cr. 280 on my commute....dusty white limestone gravel.....so I keep my speed under 80....:lol2:.....traction control is off on the KLR... :sun:

Yeah the road crews don't think about cycles too much. Glad you didn't go down.

My first ever street spill was on some gravel that had been left on a dog leg. Of course, I was young, stupid, riding too fast, totally not properly dressed for riding, and showing off in front of a group of cute girls. But hey........ :oops:

I was lucky and walked away with a boo boo on my elbow and a lot of damage to my pride. And I learned: respect the gravel! :hail:

I give gravel lots of respect. All my motorcycle scars except one are because of gravel.

TXDOT's chip seal program has made me very cautious when I see road crews out around our county!

But, I must admit the program is a boon to the windshield replacement program. My wife is on #4 windshield on her Saturn Vue!

I suspect it's a boon to tire sales too!

Yes, that stuff is abrasive. I read how much counties are saving by using it to resurface roads and wonder if the cost isn't being passed on to drivers via windshields and tires.

Eek. I understand. I came home and in my neighborhood I knew were the potholes were so I could avoid them. I didn't realize the road crew came through during the day and patched them up but left gravel all over the place in a turn which I discovered that night. I sent the city a nastygram and the next day the gravel was all cleaned up. However, the patch stuff they put down deteriorated quickly and there was constant gravel in that corner from then on.

Back