• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

test ride risks

Yes, yes, and yes. Most anybody can sue most anybody for most any reason, and often do. Doesn't mean they'll win, but my experience is that it is very expensive to be innocent these days. Insurance is mainly to cover the legal expenses that could develop from the unexpected.

We've started buying an umbrella liability policy with our home owners insurance to cover stuff like that. It's pretty cheap, something like $60 bucks a year.

We used to do the umbrella policy but my son and I go through so many vehicles the state made us get a dealer license. Piecemeal is cheaper for us because we don't really sell all that many. Dealer plates come in handy since we have so many toys.

I have bought many vehicles. The one time I got burned was the onetime I could not test ride. That is why I drove to Salt Lake City to buy my BMW HP2E. I carried a bank cashiers check and had made sure his bank and mine had verified the check good. I rode the bike, handed the man a check and left. Went to Ft Smith Arkansas for one also carried cash on that one. Most folks are pretty agreeable to cash:trust:

I have bought and sold without a test ride, never without a test drive in a car though. Last two bikes I bought were without test ride and I got a good feeling about the sellers being more anal than I am about my machines. So I bought with confidence based on appearance/cleanliness and gut feeling from contact with seller. As long as the machine was advertised truthfully and there is no funny business when you view it.

Back