• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

San Antonio DS practice area?

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good area to practice DS skills around the San Antonio area.
Don't want to get too far out in case I eat it.:lol2:

Cool looking place but I am looking for something a little closer to San Antonio, maybe just out west. Abandoned gravel pits, county roads, etc. I have the Dual Sport Riding Techniques video and just want to practice some of that stuff without getting too "out there" in case I have some trouble.
Thanks!

County Road 4514 which runs between Dunlay and Pearson (just south of Castroville) is an ultra low traffic dirt road. That's about the closest dirt road west of SA. Google Maps will point you to either town.

This is a bit east/south east, but maybe some are within your requested range. The blue markers represent a dirt or gravel county road that I found interesting. The red markers represent decent paved roads. Of course, there may be more or you may not find them as interesting as I did, but they are relatively close by. I ride them fairly regularly for the same reason you stated...for some practice. Not many hills though. Be sure to move the google map around to see all the markers.

This is the original route built in MotoWhere.

I think you can save the tracks under the share drop down. But there are other good roads as well not on the route, come on out and explore.

Or come to the Bike Breakfast with a map and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

What was the total distance? A buddy and I are looking to do a ride the weekend of August 6th and this looks like a blast. Any chance you have the GPS track?

Cool looking place but I am looking for something a little closer to San Antonio, maybe just out west. Abandoned gravel pits, county roads, etc. I have the Dual Sport Riding Techniques video and just want to practice some of that stuff without getting too "out there" in case I have some trouble.
Thanks!

Did you find out about the videos from the banner I have up?

I'm thinking you are not looking for roads to ride, but for terrain to practice the balancing, turning, etc,...? If that is the case, you just need a good pasture with some hills and such like what is shown in the video so you can practice the low speed control stuff and body position. Some place with a dry creek bed might be good, where you can ride back and forth across it while turning and balancing.

This is the original route built in MotoWhere.

I think you can save the tracks under the share drop down. But there are other good roads as well not on the route, come on out and explore.

Or come to the Bike Breakfast with a map and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Many thanks. I have ridden some of these roads as part of TAR, and just love them. We basically have all day Saturday and half of Sunday to ride and will be trailering from Houston on Friday night. Do you know if route from RR674 to 55 by way of Cedar Creek Road is still open? One of my favorites.

This banner

Should take you to this site:

http://dualsportriding.com/

Works for me when I click it.

I'm just curious if you got the video from that site and if you found it via TWT or if you found it somewhere else. On many of the DS rides I have attended, there have often been discussions by riders about how much they would like to see some kind of DS course offered to teach specific skills. In the absence of such courses in our area, the videos seemed like the next best thing. So I contacted them about putting up the banner in the hopes of helping out the TWT DS riders wanting more info. Just curious if it is helping anyone?

Are dry creek beds legal rides? I've seen quads in Hondo Creek from 90. That could be fun.

Are dry creek beds legal rides? I've seen quads in Hondo Creek from 90. That could be fun.

If it is on private property and you have permission to be there, I would not worry about it. Now under any other conditions... :wary:

Slamzilla, do you like the vids?

I only have the first one. I like it but one on one instruction is invaluable. Seeing it on video and actually doing it are two different things. It is nice to have some feedback from an instructor so they can point out mistakes you might be making. Many times you are concentrating so hard, you don't realize what you are doing.

Texas passed a law several years ago making it illegal to ride in all river/creek beds in Texas. I think that the Red & Canadian Rivers are except.

Texas passed a law several years ago making it illegal to ride in all river/creek beds in Texas. I think that the Red & Canadian Rivers are except.

Even on your own property?

Back