• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

When Do I Quit? (Riding, that is)

:tab I guess the question I would like to pose is this. Even if you decide that you can no longer safely ride, does that necessarily mean that your love of motorcycling and all that goes with it is to simply be ended?

:tab Sure, the actual riding IS a HUGE part of it. But, judging from the comments I am seeing here, for those that have been at it for many years, that part becomes less dominant over time in relation to all the other things that are associated with that love. What seems to compete with that dominant position is the love of the people we have been fortunate to know and share with in the years of riding. We enjoy the visits at Pie Runs. We enjoy the story telling around a camp fire or in the parking lot at the end of the day. We enjoy tinkering in the garage or swapping stories over a beer. We enjoy helping less experienced riders grow in their love of all things motorcycle. All of that does not suddenly die in us simply because we might not be able to ride anymore. Yes, things will change when we can no longer ride, but change is what life is about :shrug:

Wow. So true.:clap:

A big part of riding for me, is who I ride with. I do like the solo rides, but for me, I have noticed that solo rides are the ones that take the hit when competing with any other activity.

I have a buddy I ride with on many of the long rides. Together we have ridden every State except Hawaii, every province in Canada except NWT (we leave on Monday to do that), and every continental country in South, Central and North America. Somehow, over the years, we have managed to get along and have enjoyed riding together.

Lately I have been riding more dirt, and he is less and less interested in dirt. There are plenty of folks (on this forum) who enjoy riding dirt that I can ride with, but with whom I haven't built that same relationship. Most of them are also constrained by other factors such as family and work.

Eventually, I know the dirt riding and then the street riding will come to an end. That is what is leading to my question about transition, do I try to find riding buddies who are as flexible as me with their schedule or just take the occasion solo dirt ride to scratch the itch? I know there are many who have worked this out for themselves, however; the answer has to be a very personal thing that I must find for myself. It is just interesting to hear other peoples solutions.

I can't and wouldn't try to replace your buddy, you've told me the stories! But I'll still go dirt riding with you anytime, I got the right schedule!

I didn't say it very well, but this is a big part of why my enjoyment of riding has taken a big hit since my brother-in-law was killed in the motorcycle accident. I still love riding. His wreck and death didn't scare me, slap me in the face with my own mortality, or anything like that. It's just that for almost all of my riding that was anything more than local, we rode together. Riding makes me miss him and makes me sad. I still enjoy the ride itself, but the sadness and the missing camaraderie are always lurking in the back of my mind.

Sad note indeed. I believe a man is truly fortunate to have one or two close friends in his lifetime. Passing of a close friend who you rode with, must cause some reconsideration of the desire to ride.

I can't and wouldn't try to replace your buddy, you've told me the stories! But I'll still go dirt riding with you anytime, I got the right schedule!

I am with you Rob. I just worry that I don't ride as often as you do and that I won't be able to keep up. I guess I should just stop worrying, eh?

I think I can do this until the very end - on a county road with a 188 pound ct90:

27482085650_735984cd8f_z.jpg

I posted on this thread shortly after it's start, was putzing around this morning and read through the whole thing (something to do with Father's Day?). Anyway, it is very obvious this thread struck a chord with many TWTers (hehe, particularly us older ones) and there have been many thoughtful and some wise remarks (and wise cracks) made on this subject. I propose a toast to all of us who ride and think, and to all the losses and gains we've had as a result of motorcycling. Yes, it'll end someday, but hasn't it been grand?
When I bought the R1150R last year, I rode about 2K miles on it (mostly a trip to Big Bend) and then had "the stroke" in CA about six weeks later. You guys may or may not realize that many stroke "experiencers" (can't use the term "victim", ya know) have temperament changes and are very emotional. I remember raging at the doctor about my need to continue riding and insisted that I would return to it. He was sage enough to say "well, I'm certainly not here to tell you that you can't". It took me a year to ride again, but I got a lot of satisfaction during that time by "functionally farkling" the R by adapting SW-Motech racks and Trax bags to it, a Parabellum windshield made for the R1150R, handguards, Sargent seat, replaced the pillion seat with the rear "Rockster" panel, etc. I would just go out to the shop, sit on a bucket, and do physical therapy with wrenches and screwdrivers. So, motorcycles helped me even when I couldn't ride a lick.
Now the heat has me kind of "grounded", but soon I'll trailer the bike to altitude (and latitude) somewhere and get some cool summer riding done.
My dad told me when growing up that I could have a bike if I bought and paid for it. Then he tried to take my Kawasaki 100 away from me when I rode it home that first day. I reminded him of his promise (as only a self-righteous affronted adolescent can do), and told him I would just hide it or the next bike where he couldn't get to it. Six months later he bought one of the Honda CB400s, then moved to the first year Gold Wing (GL1000) and he rode the rest of HIS life; I bought his last bike (an '86 Aspencade) from him when he was diagnosed with liver cancer. I never really thought about it, but reading the posts in this thread, with the recollections of riding with Dad, or "son", or friends made me realize how special riding can be. And I'm glad to have turned the tables and gotten my father to start his riding, which he really loved.
Confucius say "Better to have lived for seven minutes or seven hours than to have existed for seventy years" (or something like that)

After much debate with myself, I have decided that I am not done yet. Sooooo .... after having this picture in Deadhorse Friday, me and Chuck, my buddy, rode the Haul Road back to Fairbanks in one day, 515 miles of 80% dirt. I can't say it was an 'enjoyable' ride, but it does make me feel I still have a few miles left in the tank.

AsTJ0iChh1beu6kENdm6VL2xi7JmKkUjqwPfp0CHsK8VlmSCIa4t156e_XTQ3mCHTrtzVlNx2mZaZ6dGerY=w582-h609-no.jpg

Last edited:
... I propose a toast to all of us who ride and think, and to all the losses and gains we've had as a result of motorcycling. Yes, it'll end someday, but hasn't it been grand?

I'll drink to that! :chug:

I guess I'll keep doing it as long as I enjoy it. I enjoy the ride to work in the morning. Going home in this heat . . . not so much.

"You don't stop riding because you are old, you get old because you stop riding"

This gets thrown around all the time, and there is some truth but after a hard single track day in this heat, it's not totally true! The day after can suk for an old man. Street riding hasn't gotten to me that bad yet! lol Onward as long as I can.

"I propose a toast to all of us who ride and think, and to all the losses and gains we've had as a result of motorcycling. Yes, it'll end someday, but hasn't it been grand?"

There is so much truth in that statement, After 50 years of riding, most of my life has revolved around my riding and friends from it. STILL!

I too really enjoyed this thread. Although, just because I was born shortly after WWII, physical or mental capabilities haven't been a concern yet. BUT, let me share this with you my friend, someone in a much earlier post mentioned getting a 650 Suzuki Burgman. Don't do it. It will reguvinate your riding desire like you wouldn't believe. Repeat after me, " when I think I'm getting to old to ride a REAL motorcycle, I will not ride or get a Burgman." ( I'm kinda looking for my second Burggie now ) They are a BLAST to ride. See you down the road. HB

Last edited:
I limit summer rides to home before noon. I find it hard to ride in heat at 66. TODAY RODR TO temple, a bunch of thunderstorms rolled in from north, rode over 200 miles on the Wee. Strom. What a wonderful day for nearly July. Being Simi retired makes it easier to ride more years, you can pick the best days of the week. Did the TON twice on jaunt.

Along these lines I want to make a bucket list of bikes to have before I quit. Riding the same two, CT90 and Sl350, I have missed a lot of tech along the way. My immediate bucket list is:

TW200
KLR
XR400
650 Burgman
UJM 4 cylinder from the 90s like a Nighthawk or a Bandit

Not necessarily in this order

At near 60 I feel like I've got a minimum of 10+ years on motorcycles. I had a accident in Colorado last month, totaled my Ninja. I came out fine, no injuries and have had enough time/reflection to know I made a couple small mistakes that ended up being a big mistake. I hasn't knocked me off riding, I'm still confident in my physical/mental abilities. I'm looking at getting a Versys 1000 LT to take the place of Ninja.

If I get to the point were I no longer feel confident on two wheels I'd get a CanAm Spyder or similar vehicle. Then purchase a classic two-wheeler to display in my living room. Something like this '67 Bultaco Metralla would do nicely :trust:

Bultaco-Metralla-Mk2-Kit-America-Left-Side.jpg

Along these lines I want to make a bucket list of bikes to have before I quit. Riding the same two, CT90 and Sl350, I have missed a lot of tech along the way. My immediate bucket list is:

TW200
KLR
XR400
650 Burgman
UJM 4 cylinder from the 90s like a Nighthawk or a Bandit

Probably more missed tech between this list and the bikes of today than this list and your current Hondas. Scooter is the only one with fuel injection and ABS. Take a giant leap! Lol

_

haha one step at a time!

Wr250 might be better than the XR400, it has FI and with a Rekluse clutch...

haha one step at a time!

Wr250 might be better than the XR400, it has FI and with a Rekluse clutch...
That would be the perfect step up. Reliable, tame power, modern (for a dual sport) and AARP friendly with Rekluse.

_

I have 6 best friends, not counting my wife. I met all 6 because of motorcycles. I've probably been on 25 motorcycle vacations with one or all on each vacation. I've also gone on many solo motorcycle vacations. The ones with friends on motorcycles are the most memorable. Approaching 70, I realize the end is near. I plan on road racing all of 2017 and then it is going to be track days only for the "need for speed." I hope I have a dual sport when I die, but I sure do love my FZ1. Like others, I think a large part of the sport is sitting around the camp having a cold one after the ride. Another part is the camaraderie that is instant on meeting another rider. Five of us, from Texas, were on a ride near Colorado Springs when we met a local couple and their daughter at a service station. We ended up spending the night at their house and going riding with them the next morning. Try that with your average SUV driver. We stayed in contact until they divorced. If anyone knows where Greg and Tammy Keith live, please get them in contact with me. Tell them I still ride and race and plan to ride until I'm physical unable to do so.

Last edited:
Back