• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Super Tenere vs FJR

Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone's opinions are...I've currently got an 09 FJR, thinking about changing things up and getting an S10...Who's ridden both, what were your thoughts? Does anyone in SA have an S10 I can sit on?

CM

They couldn't be more different. Seating is upright and relaxed on the S10 and the power delivery isn't nearly as smooth and powerful. You really need to ride a S10 to understand it.

They couldn't be more different, but it's amazing how many riders go from one to the other. When the S10 came out there were a bunch that jumped ship.

I test rode both back to back before getting my FJR. S10 is surprisingly smooth while cruising but you feel that motor as soon as you get on the gas. Definitely two different beasts. Look for the Yamaha demo truck to come around and get a test ride in, or check your local dealers for a used one, many will let you test ride used bikes.

I've owned both at the same time. Had an '04 from '04 to '13 and then bought a '13. Was a complete FJR disciple. My wife considered the FJR 'her' bike because she loved it so much as a passenger. Both she and I love speed and the FJR fit the bill nicely.

Ended up selling another bike and adding a '13 S10 thinking I'd ride them both depending on my mood and destination. However in the end the FJR started sitting and sitting. I ended up always wanting the option to take the road less traveled and in many cases not paved. If I was on the FJR I'd have to give it a pass. Although I never thought I'd be without out an FJR I ended up selling it.

I don't miss it 'too' much but I do miss that awesome turbine power. I love the S10 for a lot of other reasons that overshadow the loss of speed and it's 'fast enough' but nothing like 9000rpms on the FJR.

I've had zero regrets with the switch although I can't say I won't eventually jump on another adventure bike with more power to scratch that itch. Each year I wait to see if Yamaha will bump the S10 a little. It's the same feeling I had waiting year after year for the FJR to get a 6 speed transmission.

Good luck on your decision. Either bike is great.

I owned three FJRs -- which tells you much I like them -- and have had an ST for close to three years. I don't know that I've ever owned one bike this long. I took the FJR to Maine and California. I've taken the ST to Alaska and for a ride around the Great Lakes. While I occasionally hanker for the FJR's thrust, I have a hard time getting past the comfort of the Tenere. Both are great bikes (obviously, both have Yamaha reliability). it really boils down to Tenere ergos vs. FJR horsepower. I loved my FJRs but my next bike will likely be another Tenere.

I've owned both at the same time. Had an '04 from '04 to '13 and then bought a '13. Was a complete FJR disciple. My wife considered the FJR 'her' bike because she loved it so much as a passenger. Both she and I love speed and the FJR fit the bill nicely.

Ended up selling another bike and adding a '13 S10 thinking I'd ride them both depending on my mood and destination. However in the end the FJR started sitting and sitting. I ended up always wanting the option to take the road less traveled and in many cases not paved. If I was on the FJR I'd have to give it a pass. Although I never thought I'd be without out an FJR I ended up selling it.

I don't miss it 'too' much but I do miss that awesome turbine power. I love the S10 for a lot of other reasons that overshadow the loss of speed and it's 'fast enough' but nothing like 9000rpms on the FJR.

I've had zero regrets with the switch although I can't say I won't eventually jump on another adventure bike with more power to scratch that itch. Each year I wait to see if Yamaha will bump the S10 a little. It's the same feeling I had waiting year after year for the FJR to get a 6 speed transmission.

Good luck on your decision. Either bike is great.

Have you flashed the Tenere? After about 6 months, I sent my '13 ecu off to be flashed. For a couple hundred bucks I got a new motorcycle. Still not an FJR,but noticeably improved.

Have you flashed the Tenere? After about 6 months, I sent my '13 ecu off to be flashed. For a couple hundred bucks I got a new motorcycle. Still not an FJR,but noticeably improved.

Yes, flashed it pretty soon after buying it.

it really boils down to Tenere ergos vs. FJR horsepower

For me it came down to Tenere ergos vs FJR ergos. Tenere is a tall bike for those of us short in the inseam. The FJR is still tall, but more manageable when stopped than the Tenere was for me.

You definitely need to sit on one to determine what is right for you depending on your personal build.

Hey, you got a full inch on me there. Good luck. Lowering is of course an option. I however have not ridden a lowered bike that I wasn't happy with what it did to the suspension feel. That's up to you though and a personal preference.

Those of you that have had both, how do your wives like the Tenere'? I have an old Connie that my wife thinks is hers and if I switch, I've promised that she'll have to like the new one.

Hey, you got a full inch on me there. Good luck. Lowering is of course an option. I however have not ridden a lowered bike that I wasn't happy with what it did to the suspension feel. That's up to you though and a personal preference.
Tenere has a low seat adjustment and Seat Concepts makes a low seat so you can shave 1" or more without even touching the suspension.

_

Those of you that have had both, how do your wives like the Tenere'? I have an old Connie that my wife thinks is hers and if I switch, I've promised that she'll have to like the new one.

I'd say my wife would very slightly lean towards the FJR but not enough to offset her love for the off pavement riding. Both bikes had Sargent seats and both had a top boxes with a padded backrest.

Last edited:
Back