• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Traded: 2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 ...under 6K mi !

I had one that I just never fell in love with. Nothing really wrong with the bike, it just wasn't right to replace my FJR, and was subsequently replaced with a 1200GS. I guess I wasn't happy with a middleweight. I live ten miles up a dirt road, so I got to know the dirty aspect of it pretty well. The sporty nature of its ride on pavement carries over to the dirt. Even with 17" tires on both ends the Verses is a hooligan on dirt. It would flat track the curves on S.County Rd. at speeds that would have earned me a performance award on dirt. After more than 16,000 miles in two years of riding it got traded in. Probably for the best. Had I messed up on one of those dirty hooligan rides I might have laid in the dirt a while before anyone came along.

I think that..if I fit the bike better....then I prob wouldnt be sellin it..
As it is.... The Strom & Tenere make me feel more comfy riding..

My TDM was just ever so more suited to my size than the Versys... But very similar
I never ran knobbies on the TDM...& havent on the Versys either...although Ive thought about it

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I'll chime in and say I LOVE my versys. Yes, it's no replacement for an FJR nor a 1200GS, or Sup 10. But as Ed says, loads of fun on pavement or gravel roads. I put a 19" wheel up front to better handle dirt - and really like TKC70's on it. TKC80's are good, but they don't last long. I've ridden to Yellowstone on it, all across the Big Bend area, and other such fun. 400 mile days are a piece of cake. I've done a couple 600's, and that's about my limit - I don't know if that's more about me or the bike.

Smile per dollar, it's very hard to beat.

Jeff...you seem ta fit the Versys perfectly....
Me..on the other hand....!

But I really really wanted ta fit it.... They are definately great bikes

been thinking about a gravel road bike. something that I can take where my Goldwing doesn't like to go. been thinking about vstroms but this looks about the same. Are they considered adventure bikes? is there considerable difference between the two? Why do you like the vstrom better in the gravel than the versys. New to this catagory , appreciate the info.

been thinking about a gravel road bike. something that I can take where my Goldwing doesn't like to go. been thinking about vstroms but this looks about the same. Are they considered adventure bikes? is there considerable difference between the two? Why do you like the vstrom better in the gravel than the versys. New to this catagory , appreciate the info.
I changed my orig post. Having never actually ridden the Versys in gravel....I guess I can't comment on its ability there.

The Strom does have a bit more suspension travel....but the Versys is much lighter

Many other folks ride their Versys on gravel all the time.... Just a set of appropriate tires is all it takes

The main reason I feel more at home on the Strom or the Tenere prob has more to do with my size than anything....

Again, I'm biased, but I think the Versys is one of the best bikes for gravel roads. Gravel roads don't need 12" of suspension travel, and don't require a 300# bike. Just get a bash plate and TKC80's or TCK70's, and you'll be tearing up any road in Texas. Wanna hit the back roads and mountain passes in Colorado? OK, that's where you'll find the deficiencies in the Versys - I've done it and it's possible, but perhaps less than ideal. But, you can easily ride it TO Colorado, around a lot of the dirt roads up there, then ride back.

If you spend a lot of time off pavement, you'll want to get a 19" front wheel at some point. It makes a big difference, not only in the range of tires you can mount, but mostly in handling offroad bumps, etc easier. The V-Strom 1000 19" front wheel, spacers, rotors, etc are nearly a perfect drop-in. That's what I've got.

I just sold my 02 Gold Wing to a friend and bought a 2016 Versys 650 LT from a different friend. And that was my 7th GW. All I can say after puting 5000 miles on the Versys in a fairly short time, if you are thinking of adding to your stable, once you ride the Versys, the Wing will be in the garage most of the time.

I did have a VStrom back a couple years ago, and for me, the Versys is a much better fit. Could be that right after I bought the VStrom I had total right knee replacement and it seemed hard to kick my leg over the seat. Not a problem with the Versys.

My dad has been curious about these for a while. He's really tall in the torso and has a pretty big head, so it's hard to find anything that actually deflects the wind to be comfortable. Anyone know how well these do in that regard? He's currently on a V-strom 1000.

I could never get away from the buffeting on my dl1000. Switched to a Tenere and still had some buffeting. Bought a Shoei GT-AIR and the buffeting is gone. I don't believe you will get away from wind on these types of adventure bikes.

How tall is 'really tall'? I'm right at 6' and have two screens for my Versys. I use the little stock screen in the spring and fall - allows the cool breeze through and does so with zero buffeting. When it's very hot or cold, I put on the big screen at the lowest, but steepest setting - after much experimenting. That pushes the wind line off my chest, up to the top of my helmet. Enough for the helmet vents to still work, but (for me) still in pretty clean air. If there are really stiff cross-winds, then hunkering down a bit puts me in much cleaner air - not comfortable for 100's and 100's of miles, but doable when needed. I don't know what brand screen I've got; it came from the previous owner over 5 years ago.

THIS BIKE COULD BE IN YOUR GARAGE....WITH YOUR FINGERPRINTS ALL OVER IT....AND....WITH MILES THAT YOU HAVE PUT ON IT..... THINK ABOUT THAT

That is a beautiful bike. I am looking for a Versys, but you may be a little far from me.

Rod, when is the episode coming on tv??? You know, the show called on A&E where some unwitting person's family gangs up on them and forces them to get rid of their hoard?

Rod, when is the episode coming on tv??? You know, the show called on A&E where some unwitting person's family gangs up on them and forces them to get rid of their hoard?
Hav u heard bout the hoard? ...well ..I haaave...but first....are you with Experian...hav u ever been with Experian

Hav u heard bout the hoard? ...well ..I haaave...but first....are you with Experian...hav u ever been with Experian

No affiliation what-so-ever. I just bought a garage with some sleeping compartments so I can increase my hoard too, lol.

All loaded n ready... Hedded out in the mornin
17707226883cdfc75770694ffb664b26.jpg

Back