• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why do the Europeans get all the cool bikes!!??

I was always irritated that Honda offered the Varadero in Europe, but never here...

http://www.mc.honda-eu.com/flash_content/xl1000v/xl1000v_i.html

- 1000cc fuel injected V-twin
- Honda luggage system
- ABS similar to the system used on the Honda VFR 800i.

XL1000V.jpg

That blue rocks! I would really like Honda to consider bringing this stateside and giving it a slightly less dorky name :-P I wonder if the ABS and combined brakes can be turned off like on the BMW R1150GS?

Adios,

John Bennett said:
I was always irritated that Honda offered the Varadero in Europe, but never here...

A couple years ago I had a chance to ride a Varadero, I got it as a replacement bike when droppped off my '96 VFR at my repair shop for a tune-up. The Varadero is very comfortable (my wife liked it very much) and has a lot of torque. However, when I got back on my VFR I felt much more in control than on the Varadero. I general, I would prefer a smaller and lighter bike such as the Africa Twin (XRV 750).

http://www.honda.de/mc/14999_254.htm

:tab Oh great... rub it in ;-) We don't get that here either. However, I have seen one of those at the HSTA Fall Hill Country Rally a few years ago. We were in Kerrville. I cannot remember the name of the guy that rode it. A very cool bike. Maybe with bikes like the V-Strom selling so well here Honda might catch a clue and bring that type of stuff over here. Right now the closest thing they have is the XR650L :| I doubt if I would get rid of the VFR for one of these; however, it would be nice to have a second bike :mrgreen:

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
I doubt if I would get rid of the VFR for one of these; however, it would be nice to have a second bike

My cousin owned an XRV 750 until he collided with a tractor which landed him and his wife in the hospital. :-( He now rides a Fazer 1000, which I got to ride as well. :-) From a power point of view, the Fazer 1000 is in a different league than the VFR altogether.
Back to the XRV 750, I think there's kind of too much overlap with the VFR to really be an alternative.

Meet the object of my desire. Not available in the US:

XT660R.jpg

Also available in Supermoto:

XT660X-STUDIO-12.jpg

:tab Please enlighten me! What is that? It looks like some kind of Yamaha with a parallel twin? Looks like it would be a blast. How much do they go for in US $$?

Adios,

I saw lots of the Varaderos in Ireland last month. All over the place. Them and the Yammer TDM. Very few V-Stroms though, wonder why.

Tourmeister said:
:tab Please enlighten me! What is that? It looks like some kind of Yamaha with a parallel twin? Looks like it would be a blast. How much do they go for in US $$?

Adios,

Look at this:

http://ymedc.introweb.nl/en/archive/enduro/xt660_2004.shtml

XT660. Not available here yet, but at 4000GBP it would go for about $6000 here. It is a thumper that apparently has a header for both exhaust ports.

It would be nice to have one with both sets of wheels so swapping from trail bike to super-motard would be quick and easy. If only Santa could get one to fit in his sleigh. :wink:

Meet the object of my desire. Not available in the US:"

The object of your desire may very well be available in the U.S. There are two bikes that you can buy here in the good 'ol U.S. of A. that are very similar to the ones in the pics. They are the MZ Baghira and Sport-Moto, which also make use of the Yamaha 660 5-valve Genesis engine. These are great bikes-I have owned two MZ Skorpions, which are the sportbikes with the same mill. I believe that MPH Cycles here in Houston has the Baghira and Sport-moto available. Price should be around $6200.
Happy Thanksgiving! :chug:

:eek: Very cool, I'll have to check at TJ's in Austin. The handle MZ locally. Thanks!

street.jpg

Ya, I bought my first one from TJ's and the second one at MPH. They are very well built, great handling bikes. You can't go wrong for the money

Back