• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, count me in. I am pretty much the guy that doesn't know what he doesn't know. I have heard about Ulybrad and his course but haven't seen any way to sign up or any dates.

Considering going. Jeni and I have a 20' travel trailer and don't mind dry camping across street (oK?) Ah...we have two friendly dogs. Jeni does not ride.

Looks like 400 miles from Kerrville via the I-10-Fort Stockton-Marathon-BBNP. The way to go?

I did not BRING MY skid plate:doh:. Thinking could rubber neck scenery more? Roll of JB weld in pocket. Is this beyond stupid? Nor did I bring my flat repair fender roll.

I am an experienced 55+ yo rider from MI currently snow birding in AL. I just discovered this great TWT site and had not considered an opportunity like this on my first visit to TX in March with a Dual Sport. I do have a 3 gal tank on my '13 xcf-w.

Maybe plan better in 2018?:sun:
Tks!!!

Considering going. Jeni and I have a 20' travel trailer and don't mind dry camping across street (oK?) Ah...we have two friendly dogs. Jeni does not ride.

Looks like 400 miles from Kerrville via the I-10-Fort Stockton-Marathon-BBNP. The way to go?

I did not BRING MY skid plate:doh:. Thinking could rubber neck scenery more? Roll of JB weld in pocket. Is this beyond stupid? Nor did I bring my flat repair fender roll.

I am an experienced 55+ yo rider from MI currently snow birding in AL. I just discovered this great TWT site and had not considered an opportunity like this on my first visit to TX in March with a Dual Sport. I do have a 3 gal tank on my '13 xcf-w.

Maybe plan better in 2018?:sun:
Tks!!!

Big Bend is not a good place to not have a skid plate, buy a new one and sell it to recoup some cost when you get home. Don't go out alone without spare tubes and flat repair tools and slime or ride-on in your tubes. Pre-slime your spares. Buy a hand pump so you don't have to rely on the bikes battery to run a pump.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI6XJE/?tag=twowhetex-20

Well I guess I was just lucky. But I have done the Big Bend challenge and ridden at Big Bend State Park sans skid plate. Both me and the bike lived to tell about it. Out of 3 separate trips to the region, I did get a pinch flat once. But that was primarily because I was running across a bunch of sharp edged bed rock outcroppings in top gear trying to catch up to my friends who were on bigger stronger ponies. Had I not been pushig it so hard, I know I wouldn't have impact pinched my tube.
I definitely wouldn't abstain from riding the area just because I didn't have a skid plate or a spare...but I would be a bit more mindful about where and how hard I rode.

In Big Bend there is always a possibility of getting lost or stranded. The total area we'll be riding is over 10,000 square miles. Given the deaths that occur in the region each year due to the unique isolation, I always post these two recommendations for our trips:

#1. Get a Baofeng uhf vhf radios. A UV-5R or newer version UV-5RA on ebay or Amazon. For $25 delivered it has dual band, fm radio, flashlight, charger, and earpiece. Has good range, 3 or 4 miles. If we all have same channel set there is zero chance for losing a rider.

Think star wars: red leader, red 1, red 2, red 3, red 4. All accounted for.

2. Use the offline functionality in google maps on an old (or current) smartphone. You can download areas of interest and save to your phone. No need for gps, garmin, or mexico files if you do this. The google map is very detailed and what you download is searchable even offline. Its a great, free, tool. And can be updated from the hotel via wifi each evening as needed. A "burner" phone, aka old and outdated, is the perfect phone to strap to your bars and use for nav. No reason to display a flashy iphone 7 to the locals.

Last edited:
In Big Bend there is always a possibility of getting lost or stranded. The total area we'll be riding is over 10,000 square miles. Given the deaths that occur in the region each year due to the unique isolation, I always post these two recommendations for our trips:

#1. Get a Baofeng uhf vhf radios. A UV-5R or newer version UV-5RA on ebay or Amazon. For $25 delivered it has dual band, fm radio, flashlight, charger, and earpiece. Has good range, 3 or 4 miles. If we all have same channel set there is zero chance for losing a rider.

Think star wars: red leader, red 1, red 2, red 3, red 4. All accounted for.

2. Use the offline functionality in google maps on an old (or current) smartphone. You can download areas of interest and save to your phone. No need for gps, garmin, or mexico files if you do this. The google map is very detailed and what you download is searchable even offline. Its a great, free, tool. And can be updated from the hotel via wifi each evening as needed. A "burner" phone, aka old and outdated, is the perfect phone to strap to your bars and use for nav. No reason to display a flashy iphone 7 to the locals.
Or download Locus or OSMand apps to your phone for good offline maps.

What if my bike doesn't have a battery?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Paper maps work great if you have the smarts to use them. Alternatively, you can charge your phone at night in the hotel. Or buy a $10 backup battery an zip tie it somewhere.

Did I really answer that question?

Well I guess I was just lucky. But I have done the Big Bend challenge and ridden at Big Bend State Park sans skid plate. Both me and the bike lived to tell about it.

I've seen you ride, when the bike is actually in contact with the ground for less than 10% of the time your chances of spitting out a rock are pretty minimal.

For those us existing in the mortal plane however...

:rofl:

Tks!!!

Ft. Stockton to Alpine to Study Butte is the fast route. We stay outside BBNP on the western side in Terlingua.

Come no matter what. Even if you only ride concrete you'll have a great time. I've ridden one of the tamer gravel roads on my cbr1000rr track bike and no damage, lol. I rode river road on a motard with dot race tires, aka minimal tread allowed by law, with no flats and no rocks thru unprotected cases. I can't think of a single place in big bend where you would ever touch a case or frame to a non movable rock. There are no places you risk casing it.

Summary: Just come as you are. It will be unforgettable. It is a special place.

Peter

Last edited:
I've about persuaded a friend to join us. He was a dirt rider on his youth, has a street bike right now but wants to get back into this. I see GS Motorents is no longer down in Terlingua, anyone have any suggestions or a spare bike they'd like to rent for the weekend?

I've about persuaded a friend to join us. He was a dirt rider on his youth, has a street bike right now but wants to get back into this. I see GS Motorents is no longer down in Terlingua, anyone have any suggestions or a spare bike they'd like to rent for the weekend?

If nothing else pops up I have a 1988 NX250 that is in great shape and perfect for a reentry rider. It just doesn't have suspension damping to satisfy a hardcore or 200+ pound rider. Current tags and tx inspection. Has a fresh set of unridden knobbies after this photo was taken.

14249817_10209798002521293_4866456508020626367_o.jpg

I may have a spare DR650 available...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back