• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Adventure Breakfast & Ride- Sat 3/18/17 @ 9a Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia - TARA/SA

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
32037690350_047edb4ff2.jpg

A Texas Adventure Riders Association
San Antonio Chapter Event

March Breakfast
27088441586_cdd7160ec2_m.jpg

Lost Maples Cafe
384 FM 187 Main Street
Utopia, Texas
830-966-2221
http://www.lostmaplescafe.com/

26516177484_b7bf7e13a8.jpg

DSC03071_zps97345cb2.jpg

March Post Breakfast Ride Information
If anyone is up for a post breakfast ride see an optional route map at the bottom. Groups usually take off around 10am.

The route is a no host self-guided GPS ride, as the ride is self-guided join a group or lead one.

A group size of 4 - 6 riders with about a maximum of 8 is optimal, grouping by bike size or desired pace is also beneficial if possible. Of course it’s all about fun, camaraderie and being safe. Some groups will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time and head home.

Ride etiquette
- When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch, I have several nature break stops and a stop midway for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me out in the country, then of course there are the planned fuel stops. I stop at every non-obvious corner and wait for the entire group, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, we won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as the ride in front takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost.

33140243685_8309fc6813_o.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Re: Adventure Breakfast & Ride- Sat 3/18/17 @ 9a Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia - TARA/SA

Boy, you don't waste any time getting ready for the next one!

We should have Team 250 back together by then so will plan on it. Duane and I have decided to limit our rides to 200 miles a day. I'm also going to look into gluing some broken glass to the DR's seat, should make it more comfortable.

Re: Adventure Breakfast & Ride- Sat 3/18/17 @ 9a Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia - TARA/SA

I'll have hopefully recovered from the week at Big Bend by then, so i'm in. And Russ, the two hundred mile limit seems like a good idea to me, so i'll ride with you guys.

Looks like fun IF I can get the time away from projects!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Ivan, are you going to Big Bend separately? The Uncle's ride is after this event if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Well, carp! I just realized that I had the wrong dates for Spring Break on my calendar and we'll either still be in Ruidoso on the 18th or on our way back. So as much as I was looking forward to riding to Utopia (again) from Bandera, Team 250 will have to do it without me.

Hey folks. This is my first post here and have been an advrider member for a long time. Finally decided to scratch my dual sport itch and look forward to this DS breakfast. Hopefully there's space for me in the slow group as I'm still learning dirt skills. Anyway I'm Keith and it's nice to meet you all.

Welcome, Keith. See you there. No worries about speed(or lack of...).

Re: Adventure Breakfast & Ride- Sat 3/18/17 @ 9a Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia - TAR

Hey Ivan, are you going to Big Bend separately? The Uncle's ride is after this event if I'm not mistaken.

Hey Randy,
Wanted to make the rally but have a couple friends (with jobs) who can only make it on the third of March. Who knows, i may go back. Anyone wanting to ride Big Bend next week is welcome to join us.

I suspect the hotel rooms will be easier to get next week than during the rally. Wish I could join you next week. Have fun!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great time. Count me in. Look forward to meeting everyone for breakfast and a fun day of riding.

Lost Maples cafe! Yummy [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sander, how are the water hazards on this one? They big bike friendly?

Sander, how are the water hazards on this one? They big bike friendly?

There are some tough ones crossing Pullium creek between Camp Wood and Barksdale, they can be easily avoided by taking Hwy 55 from Camp wood to Barksdale. Then there's a few on Seco Creek rd east of Utopia.

Some pictures form the Pulliam creek crossings - HERE

And from Seco creek - HERE

I won't be able to make this breakfast and ride though, I want to be consistent though with posting one breakfast and self guided ride a month, on the third Saturday, so I didn't change the date.

The is DR is rewired and started but I need to finish it and then perform some reliability testing. The XR400 is ready so I'm taking a long weekend trip to do some scouting for the 9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride 7/31-8/4 Cloudcroft, New Mexico on the southern edge of the Lincoln National Forest.

I'm gonna join you all!

I had a great time riding with a John, JT, Alex and Gina. We rode most of the course, minus the water crossings, and closed gates, with a few minor adventures along the way. I think I am technologically challenged, or am loosing pace with it...
The Good: I finally got my GPSMap 64 to make a route work, and advise me of upcoming turns. That was after completely mapping out the route in BaseCamp. A simple convert the .gpx track to route would not work on my GPS.
The Bad: My GoPro Session 5 died about 4 hours into the trip. It normally has enough power to run all day, and selectively record about an hours worth of video. This is important because the session does not have a replaceable battery like the Hero. So today I downloaded the video to see what happened.
The Ugly: I recorded 739 time lapse pictures instead of video! Note to self; Check settings after updating firmware...

Here is one of the time lapse photos that I thought fitting. It is in original size to show GP Session 5 photo resolution: Time Lapse Mode, 1 photo every .5 sec, 10MP Linear = 3648 × 2736 image size.

33151149840_52aeec0bd8_k.jpg
[/url]G0020433, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back