• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom owners thread

FYI :
When replacing front or rear sprockets, it is advisable staying with prime numbers, like 13, 17, 19, 41, 43, 47 whenever possible. If this is not possible, at least even numbers of teeth should be avoided. This helps for getting a more even wear.

Teeth numbers which can be divided evenly will cause the same spot on the sprocket mating more often with the same link at the chain. In terms of wear, the worst combination are those which use even numbers for front and rear sprockets.

DL1000

Front sprocket: 17
Rear sprocket: 41
Chain: 525 with 112 links

DL650

Front sprocket: 15
Rear sprocket: 47
04-06 Chain: 525 with 116 links
07 & on Chain: 525 with 118 links

To be fair, I've done all manner of combinations and have never noticed a difference with any of them.

There is a guy here in Waco that I worked with years ago at a machine shop who can weld aluminum like nobodys business..
Centex Welding is his business name
Kenneth Stanford... On FM185
But he stays covered up...
He's that good

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Have to machine the part, I have that fancy 2 piece in the pic, then place it. There is not any room within that space to run a TIG tip. Sad that it only had 27K on it. I just ordered a replacement motor. Pull the old motor regardless, just easier and less time consuming to bolt up the replacement.:doh:

edy2anys.jpg

My rear is like this all the way around. Every other tooth is more worn.

Good Picture,
How Many Miles On the Rear Sprocket?
I may want change my sprocket and chain at 15,000 miles

Just put a 16 tooth Front Sprocket on My KLR 650 Great Machine my 3rd , 2011 and the best one of the 3

I was told they were replaced, and they don't look 34k miles old. Especially for a bike that lived outside in Chicago for several years.

I put the spacer fix in mine. The chain runs even on the sprocket, that looks like the original setup as the sprocket is worn on the outside. The chain is offset from the factory.

I put the spacer fix in mine. The chain runs even on the sprocket, that looks like the original setup as the sprocket is worn on the outside. The chain is offset from the factory.

It has the spacer NOW, but not when the sprocket was new. ;)

I call that a good start..... So, did I read correctly that you might be at the Cleburne M&G this Sunday?

Yeah. I told KP I'd be there even if I have to cage it. He thinks he owes me lunch, so I've got incentive.

Maybe you can convince him he owes ME lunch too. I'll see ya there, & will show off the new black Wee to you.

What is this "spacer fix" yall speak of and how can I tell if mine has such a fix?

I'm betting it doesn't bc the sprocket teeth appear to wear more on the outside. I've always wondered about that.

:rider:

This is my 9th bike and I like it.May be the best one.I ride it every day to go to work and on sundays with my wife.

Attachments

• usa 2012 004.jpg
    usa 2012 004.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 151
Back