• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHNF weekend Sept. 12, 13 +14

Reaction score
Couple of us are planning on trailoring from Bastrop area (maybe Austin we'll leave from, not sure yet) to SHNF, a fellow inmate has been kind enough to let us camp with him on his property near the east trail head. Right now there is just three of us, it would be great to get a couple more to join in the fun. Preferable those with good humor, don't brake bones and like cold beer. :rofl: Friday we are going to try to get there as early as we can and maybe get a ride in, but Friday will be more about setting up camp and getting situated.

The camp site is primitive so we will be showering in Cagle for the $5 day use pass.

OHV trail riding :rider:

yeah-baby-yeah.jpg

a fellow inmate has been kind enough to let us camp with him on his property near the east trail head.

Hmmmm.
That would be me.

I plan on getting there Friday before dark.
I'll cook up my prize winning hot wings for Saturday night's bench racing.

For those that don't wish to camp, you can still meet up with us for the group ride.
We'll probably do the East side on Saturday and the West side Sunday.

PM me for directions.

Girard

Last edited:
Eastside Saturday might be a possible!

**** yeah, hope you make it out woodsguy.

Looks like there might be some rain this week so it should keep the dust down and add some traction.

Gasgasman, what is the closest town to get provisions like ice + beer, water? Any restaurant suggestions? or are we going to campfire cook?

Get your provisions in New Waverly.
For lunch you can do sandwiches. Dinner will be grilling and chilling.

gasgasman, how long is the drive from pearland HEB to SHNF trail head? About an hour? I will hopefully be at my parents in PL last week of the month and want to go ride SHNF. They are in that big neighborhood right behind the HEB off Broadway.

Hmmmm.
That would be me.

I plan on getting there Friday before dark.
I'll cook up my prize winning hot wings for Saturday night's bench racing.

For those that don't wish to camp, you can still meet up with us for the group ride.
We'll probably do the East side on Saturday and the West side Sunday.

PM me for directions.

Girard

I wish I could make it. I could really use some of Girard's awesome wings.

Josh

What time are you going to trailhead?
**** yeah, hope you make it out woodsguy.

Looks like there might be some rain this week so it should keep the dust down and add some traction.

Gasgasman, what is the closest town to get provisions like ice + beer, water? Any restaurant suggestions? or are we going to campfire cook?

Haven't heard from anyone, we'll be at eastside at 10.

Hey SauceSquatch. Just saw your post about the DRZ Clarke Tank on ADVRider. Wish I could have made it but it was a family dedicated weekend. ;)

SauceSquatch, great to meet you and Oscar.
Sorry the trails weren't epic. The entire state got rain except the Forest.

Woodsguy. We must have just missed you at the trail head.:doh:

Enjoyed seeing you all again. It is a shame the rain didn't quite make it up to the trails, they are so much more fun without all the dust and half foot deep silt. That was a pretty exciting and unexpected meet up with you guys out on the trail Saturday! :eek2: Glad I didn't end up running into anyone literally. Still no idea what went wrong with my Husky. Electrical gremlins have always plagued it. :doh: At least this time it quit at a pick up truck accessible service road crossing, so there wasn't any pushing or (many) explicatives involved.:trust: On the way home my buddy Matt showed me a gem of a restaurant that I was unaware of in Willis, just a few miles up the road from SHNF. It is called the Fish Pond, and it is one of those great little cafes that totally overwhelms you with the quality and size of food portions. The menu was stacked full of delicious and varied offerings, including a platter of huge fresh fried gulf shrimp! So I now have another great reason for visiting SHNF often. :eat:

I don't know what are you talking about....IT WAS EPIC :clap:

Yeah a little dusty and sandy but that help me to learn more about sand, by Sunday I was riding really comfortable those nasty sandy curves :rider:
The weather was perfect and I enjoy riding with SauceSquatch, he is a great guy and we have similar styles...(ok limitations).

I CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT SHNF AGAIN...and again, and again

It was a good weekend and good learning experience both on the trails and camping. It was my first time out there so I think I'll be much better prepared for the sand next time around. By the end we had our rhythm, Oscar is like the sand beetle, not fast but can't stop him :lol2:. Me, I got better at falling lol

It took us a while to even get out there, sorry we didn't meet up with you woodsguy, didn't check see any notifications from tapatalk :doh: (done with that app).

Looking forward to the next visit!

Here are a couple pics

20140914_121315.jpg

20140914_115951.jpg

20140913_095523.jpg

What was the brand of your helmet? I am not sure if is an Airoh?- maybe the Aviator 2.1? Sorry just using my memory

Back