• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Inspection Sticker - Location?

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
I'm way past due for a new inspection sticker on the DR650. I want to ditch the plastic Action Kawasaki/Suzuki license plate frame that the expired inspection sticker is on. I'd like to put the new inspection sticker on the right side of the swing arm, and not have the typical aluminum bracket attached to the license plate. I've seen this done on other's bikes. Has anyone had a problem with the police concerning the location of their inspection sticker?

One of my dualsport bikes has the inspection sticker on the swing arm (came that way from the previous owner). I've allready been warned by several LEOS (friends of mine that dropped by the house - NOT pulled over on the road - thank god - that happens enough as it is!) that they are begining to enforce more stringently the "proper" placement of the inspection stickers (facing rearward). The sticker on this particular bike expires in 2 or 3 months.
I'll go to cycle gear and buy one of the inexpensive aluminum plates that bolts beneath the license plate with the area for the sticker - no biggie.

Craig aka equipment junkie

Mine is attached to the left side of the bike at the rear wheel. I guess that's the swingarm. :doh: Anyway, when I was pulled over a few weeks ago he asked me where it was because it's hard to see (saddlebags cover it). He found it and made no mention of a problem being located there. I can't put the plate below the license plate, my rear light is in the way. The bike had the plate over the license plate but I've put a luggage rack there. The dealer said this was the only option left.

This is disappointing to read. I've been thinking about ditching the sticker plate, and bolting the licence plate to the top of the rear fender, and putting the inspection sticker underneath the plate, or on the swingarm.

I've bent the plate and sticker plate so many times, I don't think I have too many straighting sessions left on it.

What do the LEO's on here think? Is it PC to pull me over if you can see my plate is on the bike, but can't read it from your car? I think I already know the answer, but if I'm doing everything else by the book, would I be stopped?

Had Inspection Sticker on side of fender (next to tail light) on xr400 and LEO was just fine with it.
I have since changed fenders and now have it on the extension plate under Lic Plate. I think it is a crap shoot weather you get a ticket or not and entirely depends on the LEO.

Sorry to revive an old thread. But, could some LEOs out there comment on proper placement of an inspections sticker? thanks.

I just have one sticker, move it around from bike to bike, what could be better (cheaper) than that.

John

I rode a Harley Road King for 3-4 years with the sticker mounted on a plate attached to the frame right above the left floorboard/shifter area and never had a problem. It was that way when I got the bike and I just continued to use it.

Wayne

i asked and austin leo at bike night and he said as long as i can produce it, it doesnt matter where it is. could be in your wallet. but im pretty sure he was quite bike friendly. you would probably be better off asking someone besides a cop, they cant know all the little bs rules. there has to be somewhere to look things like this up. i forget where i looked up about brake lights when i converted my xr600r to street legal. ask an inspector at the inspection station, they should know. mine is on the swingarm and no problems. yet.

Not one of my bikes has it in the "normal" spot. The TW has it on the left side frame. Xr250 and 400 have it on one of those cheap aluminum plates that mount under the license plate.... but the plate is upside-down under the rear fender. (they take too much of a beating mounted right side up) It's visible.... barely. I have everything else squared away just in case. If an LEO wants to "investigate" you further, it would likely be a legitimate reason to be stopped. I got nothing to hide. :shrug:

This aftermarket holder is sharp! It cut me as I was reaching for the tire.
3476177363_ef08c9c064.jpg

I am having problems with the inspectors now. Some have refused to give me a sticker if it cannot be "viewed from behind". On another negative note, I have noticed they don't ask to do the braking test anymore. I enjoy getting it up to 30 (supposed to be 20) and stopping in about 3/4ths the distance required.

I am having problems with the inspectors now. Some have refused to give me a sticker if it cannot be "viewed from behind". On another negative note, I have noticed they don't ask to do the braking test anymore. I enjoy getting it up to 30 (supposed to be 20) and stopping in about 3/4ths the distance required.

I had that problem when I got my shadow inspected. He said it had to be visible from the rear. I argued with him for a while about putting it on the swing arm, he wouldnt budge. so he stuck it on the rear fender. when I got home I took the hairdryer to it and pulled it off and stuck it to the swing arm. where he put it you couldnt see it from behind unless you where standing over the fender. I would bet as long as you keep it current and you get pulled over they aint going to say much unless you get an ******* cop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't found anything in the statutes, but this site has a ".pdf" copy of the "Texas Drivers Handbook".

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3971181/Texas-Driver-License-Handbook

Placement of the inspection sticker is covered on page 2-1:

" Motorcycles and mopeds shall have the inspection certificate displayed near the rear license plate."

To me, that's pretty clear cut. Has to be close to where license plate is. If want it on swing arm, just put plate near swing arm.

I had that problem when I got my shadow inspected. He said it had to be visible from the rear. I argued with him for a while about putting it on the swing arm, he wouldnt budge. QUOTE]

State inspectors have a handbook with guidelines to go by, just like any one else with a job. If a cop pulls someone over for a violation related to a inspection issue, the officer can find out who performed the inspection (the number in the middle of the sticker that starts with an x) and they could potentially lose their inspectors lisence. This would cause the inspector to lose income. It'd be the same if I showed up to your place of work and asked you to do something you could be demoted for. And yes, the sticker has to be visible from behind.

State inspectors have a handbook with guidelines to go by, just like any one else with a job. If a cop pulls someone over for a violation related to a inspection issue, the officer can find out who performed the inspection (the number in the middle of the sticker that starts with an x) and they could potentially lose their inspectors lisence. This would cause the inspector to lose income. It'd be the same if I showed up to your place of work and asked you to do something you could be demoted for. And yes, the sticker has to be visible from behind.

Wouldn't it just be hearsay at that point thought? "Officer, when I inspected that bike, the sticker was in the right spot. I don't know what to tell you."

...and "near the license plate" is anything but clear cut IMO. Is that 3 feet or 3 inches? There are many other laws that specify (in inches) the placement of things, not sure why this one wouldn't. Now "visible from the rear of the bike", however, is something that isn't really debatable. Well, maybe. Does it have to be straight-on, or will an angle qualify? If it can be at a slight angle, then the swingarm would work.

Of course, all of this is up to the LEO to interpret when they pull you over. I guess the best rule is always to leave no doubt or be prepared for the possibility of an issue.

I leave my license plate all bent to heck since my tire ripped off the lower plastic which had the sticker on it.

"Oh wow I didn't even notice that. Must've fell off!"

Down here around Hood County, if you ride a Sport Bike, DPS will write a ticket if it isn't displayed at the plate. We lost, so we comply. I am always amazed at how many Cruiser riders I know never get their stuff inspected. I don't have that kind of luck, I get caught when my sticker is expired for 10 minutes.

I'm a leo, mine is in my tool bag rolled up inside my insurance card. My license plate is bolted to my rear fender almost horizontal and is just below my small modified trailer tail light. I have never been pulled over, driven lots of slab and dirt all over texas.

I pulled a Justin (je2000 and now Coolhand Justin) yesterday, so if anybody sees an inspection sticker along 1431 from about Lago Vista back home, that's mine. :doh:

I rode a Harley Road King for 3-4 years with the sticker mounted on a plate attached to the frame right above the left floorboard/shifter area and never had a problem. It was that way when I got the bike and I just continued to use it.

Wayne

I have it in the same location and had never had a problem.

Back