• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Enduros?

Apologies if it's been mentioned, but TORO and TORN both offer significant practice hours before racing commences on Saturday. So those testing the waters can simply pay an entrance fee at the gate (normally $15-20), ride to your heart's content for several hours, then stroll over to the registration trailer if you want to race. In all honesty, practice is often more fun than the actual race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really good to know. Thanks.

"Enduros and Scrambles in Texas are just about all on public land and liability is an issue for the landowner"

Probably meant private land!

Yup! Thanks for catching my brain fart. Hope it wasn't too sticky.

Notice in 1972 they were doing 100 miles on crappy bikes and folks complain about 50-60 now! This explains why they gave finisher pins, just doing that without houring out was something.

Attachments

• 15800413_10104884997043728_3027868571571990538_o.jpg
    15800413_10104884997043728_3027868571571990538_o.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Notice in 1972 they were doing 100 miles on crappy bikes and folks complain about 50-60 now! This explains why they gave finisher pins, just doing that without houring out was something.
Look at the flyer again. There was a shorter 50 mile route option. They called it the "Powder Puff" lol

_

I remember what you are talking about. In 1976 I helped to put on my first enduro. Six us started on Saturday to ride the full 125 miles to mileage it, three finished. The next day, Sunday, the three rode it again to put up mileage markers. Two finished, myself on a 1974 Penton Mint 400 with a mechanical odo & a 15 year old kid on a 125 Husky. After the event the TSCEC champion told me it was the best mileage he had ever seen. (just had to through out the roses)

THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS!! :rider:

Those guys back then were tough, we pancies now

I've always been more of a short course racer, but remember, back then short course didn't mean short, hare scramble(ours called turkey runs) were 3 hour or so sprints. That said, when I was young only did 2 100 mile enduros, finished both, only one with in the hour behind that was allowed.

I'd say enduro's were quite different back then. Bikes and also trail. I assume trail was not as beat up, speeds were a bit slower do to the equipment used on said trail. Defiantly had to be tough to finish one back then! I have ridden a bike from the mid 70's and I'd not want to do race pace on it for anywhere near 100 miles. Bikes are so much better these days.

The best race I've had I finished 5th and hour'd out. It was a really muddy race and had rained hard all day Saturday. I drove 7 hrs and last 2 were in heavy rain to get the race site. I unloaded my bike under an easy up for a friend to watch and went to the hotel. It was a really muddy that morning. I was only 9 minutes off pace at first gas. The second half of the race was a faster pace, got stuck on an uphill or two and also in a ditch. Ended up running my bike out of coolant, but finished the course houring out at the last check. I was pretty tired and disgusted. I just loaded up and left with a broken muddy bike. It was not until the next day on FB I was congratulating a buddy when he told me he picked up my trophy. First, I had no idea the club had trophies beyond 3rd place, and Second, that I'd finish fifth in my class while houring out! Off all the ones I have I can look at that trophy and know it was hard earned. I ended up rebuilding the top end of my bike after that race. It had 350 hrs on the stock motor. The overheating did it in.

Last edited:
Great live race action tale from back in the day. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing some more new action stories from the season opener enduro races beginning soon.

As an old fat guy that used to race back in the late 70's and early 80's. RM250 and TT500 class. I'd like to run a couple of enduro's. I'd diffidently have to loose some weight and get the ol' cardio back up. Since I'm 6'8" and 350lbs, I ride a KTM 950SE with the suspension set up for me and a Rekluse clutch, because these new dirt bikes are so little. :lol2: I'd like to check out the spring and fall/winter sessions (fat man in the Texas summer is not a good combination) ! :rider:

As an old fat guy that used to race back in the late 70's and early 80's. RM250 and TT500 class. I'd like to run a couple of enduro's. I'd diffidently have to loose some weight and get the ol' cardio back up. Since I'm 6'8" and 350lbs, I ride a KTM 950SE with the suspension set up for me and a Rekluse clutch, because these new dirt bikes are so little. :lol2: I'd like to check out the spring and fall/winter sessions (fat man in the Texas summer is not a good combination) ! :rider:

Are you thinking of using the 950?

Are you thinking of using the 950?

That's all I have, so.......... YEPPERS ! ! ! :rofl:
I use it all over the ranch here in central Texas. Checking fence lines, rounding up cattle and goats.
Should be able to take the mirrors off and be good to go ! ! !

IMG_1149_zpszmhulinz.jpg

Last edited:
Come on down and try it out at Outlaw Trax sometimes. Good practice.

Private riding area in middle of Sam Houston National Forest, outside of Huntsville area.

Cool ! I'll look for a link.
Back in the 80's, I used to ride all around the Trinlady park area and forest access roads. It used to be lot of sand and red caliche roads. Nothing was paved. I haven't been down there in years.

Really not much on line we dropped our website, but go to Meetups and do a search, be a little info and pics. Or YouTube for videos.

Took the 300EXC out on it's first real run today to Trophy Club Park. I had a blast, a small, lightweight smoker is certainly a whole heap of fun. 1 dirt nap, sandy & soft so no damage to man or machine.

IMG_20170112_145146-L.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody going up to the extreme enduro at Rocky Ridge this weekend? Its put on by Freedom Powersports and Factory trucks from KTM and Yamaha will be there with Demo rides?

Back