• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding the Passes around Ouray, Co., 7/29 - 8/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab Rsquared, his son, his BIL, and myself will be heading to Ouray to ride the passes in the area and also hit some of the paved stuff as well. We are leaving July 27 and will ride starting Sunday morning (7/29) through Friday (8/3), then heading home Saturday morning (8/4). So, six full days of riding.

:tab We will be taking multiple bikes. I will have my 530 EXC and 1200 GS. Roger will have his 450 EXC, a 690 Enduro, and an 1190 Adventure. His BIL will have a 690 as well. We like to alternate between hard and easy days of riding so we don't wear ourselves out. Passes like Imogene and Black Bear will be ridden using the 530/450/690s. Easier passes and fun paved stuff will be ridden with the 690/1200/1190s. I doubt we will be doing any paved only routes, but there are several nice paved only routes than can be done from there (typically 300-400 miles/day depending on your tolerance for long rides).

:tab We are not hard core riders, meaning we won't be looking to set any speed records. We also won't be doing any single track trails on this trip. It will be jeep roads. We typically meet in the parking lot at 8:30am, head out shortly after, and try to get back to the hotel around 5-6pm at the latest. Breakfast is usually, but not always, at the hotel. We usually do a group lunch during the day and a group dinner in the evenings. Then we like to hang out and just visit afterward.

:tab We will be staying at the Comfort Inn in Ouray. There are lots of places to stay and camp. So you can stay anywhere you like. But, if you want to ride with us, meet at the Comfort Inn 8:30am every morning. Please be gassed and ready to go then. Ideally, the easiest thing to do is gas up the previous evening when you return from that day's ride.

:tab As of right now, there are no fires in the area that would impact any of the expected routes (other than perhaps a bit of smoke depending on the winds). Small bike routes will be mostly around Ouray. Big bike routes will probably head further North, potentially up to the Colorado National Monument, The Grand Mesa, and the North side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

:tab This is not a pay to play event. It is just us going riding and you are welcome to participate as you like. I'll share GPS tracks if you like. You don't get a shirt unless you buy one somewhere while we are out riding ;-) You WILL be expected to have a bike in good mechanical condition with good tires and to carry appropriate tools/spare tubes to fix flats. In the areas around the mines, flats are not uncommon. Also, some of the passes are not really what I would call beginner or big bike friendly (especially for a newish/inexperienced rider). Oh, you will DEFINITELY want a good camera as the scenery and views are spectacular.

:tab Any takers? :cool2:

IN:
Desmo
Irishcoffe
KubotaMikeTx
Rsquared, Mason, and Jay (Rsquared's son and BIL)
Tourmeister

and maybe a few guests on specific days...

Right click here and Save As for the most up to date GPX route file.

The link for the route will not change. So if you grab it right before you leave, it should be the final version. I probably won't mess with it after Thursday evening at the latest. I will post here if I do change it.

Last edited:
Yes CO 92 top side of the Black canyon is a very nice twist road.:rider: Ride safely and have fun. Looking forward to the upcoming pictures.:photo:

:zen:Just throwing in a link. We were riding out of Ouray in 1981. We drove up their in my 1980 Honda Accord. Camped just out side of town. Met a Texas guy taking pictures, he was working for Colorado, had cycle shack license plate. I have a pic of all of us on a peak near Ouray.rh

I have learned to not make plans but I'm planning to make that trip. Awesome group, perfect rides for me. I luuuvvvvvssss that area, Ouray is at the top of our list since the early 80s. The area does need rain bad though.

I really like this area and will go if I can, but might have too much planned already around those dates.

Here a vid of the Ouray area I made a few years back. [ame="https://youtu.be/rNVTKPXZ_8U"]Alpine Loop/Ouray/Silverton July 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Great video! Black Bear looks intimidating when it is all wet like that!!

That is home for me. Have fun, be safe. Spend lots of that big TEXAS dinero in my home of SW CO. Making a trip myself soon, but no bike riding this time.

Thanks. I recall a few years prior to this not doing BB due to rainy weather. Not Ideal first go around for me. Next trip on our BB day it starts raining. Oh well, just got to do it! First attempt while wet. Frozen hands as well. Traction is great out there when wet at least.

I may be up there during those dates. Taking my Son on another ride around the twin lakes, leadville, Aspen area.
Are you guys interested in going to the Bucksnort Saloon on the front range N. Of Pikes peak ? I've been told by a few people it's a neat trip.

Wanna come with us Bob?

I do but last year was my epic Colorado year (two different cross-state rides)

This year I'm taking the KTM back to Mexico and getting lost beyond Creel.

I will say the Telluride to Lake City ride in the high country through all those passes last September ranks as one of the best riding experiences ever. So glad to do it on a lightweight bike.

Interested. But it depends if there is room on the trailer and I can find someone who wants to split a room.

I'll be up there a couple weeks earlier and basing it of Silverton. Hopefully the fires won't be an issue for either of us!

Scott, where do you guys stay when you go up there? Hotels, Airbnb?

We have only stayed in Purgatory, but while doing a little looking around last night, Ouray looks like a far more intersting town that I had first thought.

Scott, where do you guys stay when you go up there? Hotels, Airbnb?

We have only stayed in Purgatory, but while doing a little looking around last night, Ouray looks like a far more intersting town that I had first thought.

We will be staying at the Comfort Inn. Given the location, it is reasonably priced. That said, there are a few places that might be a little less expensive and there is camping. I am sure there are probably cabins that can be rented. I have never checked out any Air BnB stuff. If I were doing a street only trip, I would base out of Montrose instead (further North). However, Montrose is further from all the unpaved passes.

We just got back Monday night from a Ouray Jeeping trip. My hats off to all you crazy guys on bikes.:lol2: Especially seeing the ones riding two up :eek2::giveup: We stayed at a condo.. Alpenglow Vacation Rentals, sleeps 6 and it was 235 a night with all the taxes and fees.(only 4 of us so may be higher with 6) It was very clean and we recommend it. It was very dry this year but we still had a great time. All trails were open except for Poughkeepsie Gulch Trail and Black Bear. Black bear doesn't open until July anyway. I just wish it was closer :(
Have fun y'all !

Walked? Isn't that a bit long for a day hike?

A lot of folks drive out to the base of the West side from Telluride and then hike up to the falls and back. A bit CrAzY in my book, but too each his own I guess... :giveup:

I'll be in the neighborhood while y'all are in Ouray. For anyone out there fence sitting -wondering if you should go...GO! It's a "lifetime" experience that you will never forget. Riding the passes is incredibly beautiful and a genuine hoot. You will be challenged...but in the best possible ways.

Since I'll be there anyway, let me offer a couple of optional day rides for folks who've maybe already been up Imogene and down Black Bear and feel like rompin and stompin out in the woods. There are some single track trails not too far out of Ouray that are epic. One up near Ridgway ranks among my all-time favorites...anywhere. These are technical "little bike" trails best for folks with endurance and a good bit of seat time at elevation. Just about the most fun you'll ever have with your cloths on. We can get together a small group up there. Limited to 6 riders.

Hey RG and Scott- I'm living in Durango now and would love to join y'all for some rides!

NO DOGGONE KIDDING!!! Dude, consider it done.

Chris, what's the story on Hermosa creek rd? Did the 416 fire shut it down for the season or what? It's kinda a major east/west route that allows riding some fine trails in that area as loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back