TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > For Sale / Wanted

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Boxercup Dave

Average value of a 2010 Triumph Scrambler?

I was offered what is supposed to be a deal on a Scrambler. I've been out of the street bike thing for a while but was wondering what they're typically worth? It has some crash guards added. Input appreciated.

Dave

2000 Triumph Trophy 1200 sold
2008 WR250R sold
1998 TW200 (pair of them)
1974 Honda TL125 sold
late 60's Honda CT70 (not running) but soon to be a new project
1980 Corvette street/track day mods
2007 V8 Vantage
Boxercup Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
TWTim

Re: Average value of a 2010 Triumph Scrambler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxercup Dave View Post
I was offered what is supposed to be a deal on a Scrambler. I've been out of the street bike thing for a while but was wondering what they're typically worth? It has some crash guards added. Input appreciated.
I usually try to buy as far under the NADA value as possible when snagging up a used motorcycle. My personal purchase point if I were buying an almost 8-year-old Scrambler would probably be about $3,500 in good shape, but up to $4,300 or even a little more in excellent condition.

BTW, IMO, forget KBB estimates when it comes to motorcycles. They almost always waaaaay overvalue bikes in Texas for some reason.

Cheers and good luck!
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

TIM KREITZ ADVENTURES
www.timkreitz.com
TWTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
xaman

$3500 to $4k would be a screaming deal unless it was really high mileage. The scramblers bring a higher price than the t100 or SE Bonneville. I think generally they start around $5k for the FI years (again, unless it's a high miles bike). $5500 for really low miles... $6k plus for low miles and lots of extras... etc. All this is assuming it's mechanically and cosmetically in good shape.

I've had a couple and think they are great bikes. Good luck.

Last edited by xaman; 08-12-2017 at 08:15 AM.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
RECIT

Folks always have different opinions on what a "deal" is. I would agree on a deal being in the $3500 range or slightly more.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."
RECIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Boxercup Dave

Thanks for the feedback and all good info. The bike only has 3k miles on it very low. Was running but has been sitting for a couple of years. Tank is off and drained but would still expect some work to be done because of it sitting.

2000 Triumph Trophy 1200 sold
2008 WR250R sold
1998 TW200 (pair of them)
1974 Honda TL125 sold
late 60's Honda CT70 (not running) but soon to be a new project
1980 Corvette street/track day mods
2007 V8 Vantage
Boxercup Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #6
TWTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxercup Dave View Post
Thanks for the feedback and all good info. The bike only has 3k miles on it very low. Was running but has been sitting for a couple of years. Tank is off and drained but would still expect some work to be done because of it sitting.
Most non-running bikes will usually be a complete gamble. It might fire right up after reassembly or you might have to spend hundreds, even thousands of bucks more (not to mention long hours of wrenching time). If the reasons for the bike being dead are supposedly simple fixes, yet the seller hasn't gotten it running prior to attempting a sale, that's a potential red flag to me. So unless you really know and trust this person, I would proceed with some measure of caution.

Lastly, in the case of rolling the dice on a comatose bike, I would throw all book and fair market estimates out the window and attempt to negotiate a rock-bottom price. Continued best wishes.
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

TIM KREITZ ADVENTURES
www.timkreitz.com
Old 08-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
TWTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECIT View Post
Folks always have different opinions on what a "deal" is. I would agree on a deal being in the $3500 range or slightly more.
Exactly. Not to mention that geographical region and local bike culture have a lot to do with what a bike will bring.

Out here in the Permian Basin where only Harleys are considered "real bikes", Triumphs are not much sought after and have less resale value than, say, within the I-35 corridor. For example, I have the only modern classic Triumph I know of in Midland, Texas. There's not even a Triumph dealer or brand support within 300 miles, so you just never see them. I regularly run into folks out here who have no idea Triumphs are still being manufactured. People are always telling me what a great job I did "restoring that old Triumph". I just smile and say thanks.
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

TIM KREITZ ADVENTURES
www.timkreitz.com
Old 08-13-2017, 11:35 PM   #8
dandeldesierto

I'm with TWTim on this one; bikes that have been sitting often have lots of not so major problems (tire hardening, battery goes bad, fuel system has to be reworked, brake fluid (and other fluids) have be replaced, electrical connections and connectors get "crusty", etc) so that seemingly pristine unused bike is sometimes just a money pit. It takes work to keep a bike in good shape; a bike just sitting in someone's garage is like those rheumy-eyed dispirited mangy dogs seen in an ASPCA ad, chained in the darkness, just waiting for a kind soul to bring them out into the light (and spend a lot of dinero doing it). While a rescued dog will do ANYTHING for it's new owner, bikes often are not like that.