• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Old bike identification help, x2

mattc

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Coffin
I know there are a few guys on this forum who are pretty keen on old bikes, I hope y'all can help me with these.

I was helping my mom move some stuff around after she had a closet opened up, and came across an old album of my dad's from the early 70's. He was probably 18-22 in these pics.

I know the cb750 is either 69 or maybe 70, 71. I don't remember what year but I remember him telling me about the bike and how he painted it while he was working at a body shop in Florida, after riding it through a ditch and crashing it (I won't speculate why ha-ha). I wish I had a color photo of this one.

The dirt bike I suspect is a Penton, as I remember him talking about it most of all. Any way to positively ID it?

b3509752af4e16b5ae269d28df4cb8c8.jpg

0cce79b14e90811af378fe4b19a7193d.jpg

I rode MX in 72 on, that looks like a Penton 125 or 175, but the headlight and front fender seem odd. Maybe a six day trials model. Wish I could read tank. I say a 73-74 175.

The Penton looks like a Jackpiner to me. But with the headlight borrowed from the CB750.

_

Thanks guys. I think the Penton is a 175 from stories I remember.

Yep, Penton 175 Jackpiner. An extremely rare find these days. Sweet bike.

1974pentonjackpiner175-1-480x320.jpg

Yep, Penton 175 Jackpiner. An extremely rare find these days. Sweet bike.

1974pentonjackpiner175-1-480x320.jpg

Tim what year, I notice the angle rear shocks, '73. I never saw one in the flesh, in Texas at any MX tracks I guess more enduro. A lot of tracks had 175 class there were a lot of MX riders in the early to mid 70's, it was big in central Texas.

Matt the one on the Penton shows a strong resemblance to you. Good stuff for sure.

Thanks, Gary. These pics mean a lot to me. My dad is the reason that I have the passion I do for motorcycles. I hope my son feels the same way as he gets older.

2058b00c8b9457f95bee7692de7d1684.jpg

The 69 CB750 had a single throttle cable but can't really see it in the pic.

Tim what year, I notice the angle rear shocks, '73. I never saw one in the flesh, in Texas at any MX tracks I guess more enduro. A lot of tracks had 175 class there were a lot of MX riders in the early to mid 70's, it was big in central Texas.

The one in the pic is a '74, but it may be somewhat hodgepodged. ;)

Back