• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trials Riding

Beginning Trials rider here in North Texas (DFW). I have always been interested in this part of the motorcycling sport, but never tried it.

I recently bought a vintage twin-shock trials bike and have been exploring competing with the local club; North Texas Trials Association (NTTA) http://ntxtrials.com/wordpress/

I have not competed nor attended an event yet, but when my busy schedule allows it I'm gonna give it a try. NTTA competes in Muenster, Bridgeport and some other local areas. Other than that, I enjoy puttering around the yard and trials-type riding when we go ride our dirt bikes.

I'm riding an '87 Honda TLR200 I just picked up and I love this little bike.
TLR_Hebo_zps9btfvmta.jpg

Well, I spent the weekend getting stuff done on the bikes and around the house. I replaced all the wheel bearings and rear tire on the gas gas. Took an hour or so this morning and did some riding on the logs and rocks out back. I felt much more confident in my turning, balance and technique. Mrs. C took some pictures and I can see I am not using my legs enough to get additional height over things, but all in all I am happy with the progress. :rider:
I pulled both rotors off while I had the rims off and resurfaced them and sanded the pads. The front works much better, but I still can not lock up the back.?? The pedal is not spongie, (I have bleed it) it just stops hard and there is little rear brake action, it slows but no way to lock it. :shrug:
I hope everyone had a great weekend riding. :flip:

Sam

...The pedal is not spongie, (I have bleed it) it just stops hard and there is little rear brake action, it slows but no way to lock it.

I wonder if the pedal is hitting something it's not supposed to? I'm sure you checked all the obvious stuff but I probably wouldn't lol

Man I want one of these bikes too. Maybe next year I'll be able to afford one...or at least have room for one...

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought that to, since I like my brake pedal slightly lower than my ped. But when I examined the travel it still had 3/16" before hitting the frame. I could not push it down hard enough to hit the frame. But I raised it slightly while bleeding again. Like I said it is not mushy, very firm actually, just no stopping power.
I found several similar stories online, just no fixes that I feel confident in. Thanks for the thoughts.
And yes, it is more fun than... :clap:

Sam

Another thing that happened to me bleeding the brakes was getting dirt in the reservoir. It made the brake impossible to lock up the wheel until I finally flushed the dirt completely through the line while bleeding them again to try to get to my problem. I was trying to do the job without making sure the bike was clean, really, and rushing when I shouldn't have.

What you describe makes me think of that too.

A morning smile for you folks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 333
:eek2: I can't imagine following someone, dressed like that, thru a section and watching him go over the bars. :moon: Just the thought. :shock:

Thanks Mark. How is everyone doing over east of weird?

Sam

:eek2: I can't imagine following someone, dressed like that, thru a section and watching him go over the bars. :moon: Just the thought. :shock:

Thanks Mark. How is everyone doing over east of weird?

Sam

We are well, thanks. Teaching Mason how to diagnose a starting problem on the little bike of his....if I just fixed it then he cannot grow in his knowledge of bikes. Still counting my blessings every day, friend......
And yeah, I wouldn't want to follow THAT guy either....but I can't resist a good laugh! ;-)

Trying to link to the FIM 2015 championship...

Video for fim world trials championship 2015▶ 12:33
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXubj3qLM_4
Jun 16, 2015 - Uploaded by Colin Vistamills
Toni Bou, Takahisa Fujinami, Jaime Busto, Albert Cabestany, James Dabill, Alexandre ...

Forgive me if this is a repost....:sun:

Been working on my trials bike a little bit and, with some much-needed coaching, I'm making it over 15" tall obstacles right now with a lot of confidence.

But balancing is still more challenging than on my bicycle, and I haven't gotten to the point where I'm doing full-lock turns for the figure 8's yet. Can't wait to get to that point.

I'm lovin' it

I have been trying to practice also-its harder than it looks! ive only been out to Rio where they have alot of cool areas to learn and i have met alot of really good people. I look forward to trying out Emma Long soon and any other areas around Austin-not alot of rocky areas to practice in Houston.

I have been trying to practice also-its harder than it looks!

Haha yeah. I've gotta travel outof town right now to get to the amusement parks also.

It's always seemed strange to me that balancing and trying not to move on the bike would offer anything to me for the ride, especially with being pretty new to motorcycling when I started out last year. Originally, I did it because it seemed to be the lowest risk activity (I fall down but not also forward lol). But over time, just doing that ended up giving me a great deal of confidence when doing just about everything else.

Maybe it is simply 'seat time' that's doing it for me and not the balancing work alone. All I know is that it seems to work anyway and I don't complain about making myself keep doing it. I only complain now about not being able to do it indefinitely.

Here is a link that Vinny sent me. I have been trying to get over some 30" logs in the back yard with out :flip:. This method may help, or it may land me on my :moon:...

I was successful in a double blip when riding the trials bike out at Hidden Falls with Johnny L. Going up a couple of the ledges on the Ridge Trail, it works good when done right. If not you drive the front wheel into the second one! :oops: But I am much more comfortable at balance wheelies when sitting on the seat. So the trials bike has been an adjustment, no quite there yet. Definitely not going to try anything taller than my front wheel yet. :doh:

https://youtu.be/LudPQtGsmJ4

Thanks Vinny,

Sam

...double blip...

When I finally get in tune with where my motor makes the power I want, I'm pretty excited about getting synched up with the clutch for this stuff.

Throttle alone just doesn't seem to give me that second round of power fast enough to accomplish the double blip trick. So far I've been completely over the obstacle by the time I could get the throttle get me some power back for a second push.

Ok, Ive been thinking about trying this out, yall have me hooked on the idea anyway. I don't know anything about this but I think I want one: Are these any good?

1988 Beta TR34 260cc - $1,200.00 [pic1] [pic2] [pic3]
Great bike for a beginner rider. Rebuilt carb, new throttle cable, new air filter, fresh oil, Everything works and runs great!
twobetas_1.jpg

Price is right if I dont stick with it. I do not even know where these are or if they really exist. SO...

Sweet, that was a good find, sorry it was gone.

Keep looking, it has been great for me. Last week at Hidden Falls I felt much more confident. Had a great ride. I just like taking out to the back and playing till I am tried. Lots of fun.

Sam

Back