• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kawasaki discontinuing the KLR650

Interesting... Never heard of SWM though :scratch:

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/swm-superdual-coming-to-usa/

swm-superdual-t-dual-sport-motorcycle-2-561x374.jpg

Swm is a scooter manufacturer like kymco, they have alot of overseas products IIRC. They imported a super cub clone for alittle while.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was thinking SWM was around in the 70's and these are a rebadged brand using the old Husky from BMW ownership days.

I was thinking SWM was around in the 70's and these are a rebadged brand using the old Husky from BMW ownership days.
My bad, I was thinking of Sym

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SWM is a old Italian brand from the 70 & early 80 they used the rotax and Sachs engines they disappeared some time in mid 80s had a friend had old enduro bike that's the only reason i recognized the name, it stayed broke most the time.

Aaron

In the (bi)cycling world, there are Chinese investment groups that buy up the names of once highly regarded, but now defunct brands and then release new products using their names.

Typically, the products put out under those circumstances are ***'es. Jokingly referred to as BSO's or bike shaped objects and sold in big box stores. Hoping that's not the case here.

swm-superdual-x-t-dual-sport-motorcycle-768x512.jpg

WOW, I DO like THIS one. :D This would cure my private dirt road problem and twisty asphalt fetish at the same time. :D Well, don't know what the suspension's like, but the knobs and the soft suspension on the KLR give me reality checks on twisty roads.

I found a new road that's awesome, is a shortcut from Rock Island over to Columbus. It's barely 2 lane most of it and bumpy, but lots of 90 degree hard braking bends and a few slow sweepers, not much of a straight section all the way to Columbus. Next day the wife's out, the KLR will prowl. :mrgreen:

THAT is why I think THIS bike would be nice. But, then, for me, any motard would likely do. The 400cc Suzuki was sorta pricey when it came out. Don't even know if it's offered anymore, haven't kept up, but something like that would work for me. I don't do long rides anymore.

I kinda hate to see the KLR go, not that I ever gelled very well with it, but it was an iconic bike. It is pretty much inevitable though. Even old heads like me don't really want to mess with carbs anymore and emissions are the stake through the heart.

Edit. One of the reasons I liked it and bought one was the amount of parts support. I ride an old Connie for the same reason. The parts for the Connie are drying up though. Ebay used to have pages of stuff. Now, not so much.

The SWM is a Husqvarna 630 for all intents and purposes. I've been watching it for some time. They seem to be having trouble getting the bikes US certified in a timely manner and I don't think dealers want to come on board until there is a full slate of bikes. You need dealers for sales and support. I think it might be a worthy KLR/DRZ400 replacement.

Misterk, other than their size, there was some interesting info in your graphs. Thanks.

Last edited:
Anyone see an update on what's coming? Kawasaki announced some new bikes but nothing on a replacement for the KLR. The 2019 KLX250 is going DFI which is cool but have not been able to find anything for a bigger dual sport.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Back