• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prayer Requests: Noah Freedley

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
Ok, I avoided posting here for a while because I was all gung-ho about my nephew being so strong that he wouldn't really need everyone thinking about him, but I think this might just make me feel better to share. :-(

P181870_FS.jpg

My nephew, Noah Harrison Freedley, was born in December with VSD. There was a hole in a wall of his tiny heart, thereby connecting two sections and causing the oxygenated blood to mix with the non-oxygenated blood. He remained strong, and his body attempted to repair itself - a small muscle grew into the space. Through the last few months, it was determined that he would need surgery to patch the hole and remove the muscle, as it would eventually grow to block the flow of blood.

The surgery this morning went without a hitch, and it was actually discovered that the hole had started to close itself up. This meant that instead of an artificial patch, it was able to be closed surgically. The nerve bundle/muscle that had grown into the space was removed successfully.

Noah had started developing a low-grade fever after arriving in ICU, but ice packs and a cooling blanket have helped and the fever is gone for now. They had taken his full breathing tube out and replaced it with the small tube that stays in his nostrils, but they have since replaced the full tube (although with a smaller one to attempt to keep him comfortable). The oxygen is still being administered as a precaution, but his O2 levels are fine.

This afternoon, his breathing had became labored. His CO2 levels are too high, and they have started him on a diuretic because a chest x-ray showed there is fluid in the right lung. This was a better prognosis than the original suspicion that his lung may have collapsed.

Unfortunately, the little muffin man appears to be in pain. Despite the medications he's been given (including Morphine), he is still awake and uncomfortable. His throat is still sore from the breathing tube, so he has been given steroids to combat the swelling. He's not crying out loud, but makes the face as if he's screaming and tears are present. He has been restrained to prevent him from pulling on his tubes and wires.

My sister and her husband are with him and helping to keep him as calm and comfortable as possible, as a parent's whisper and touch can mean so much to a child.

Although my belief system differs from many of yours, I ask that you keep my sweet little man in your thoughts. TWT has become an extended family for me, and I know that letting you all in on this part of my private life will help me through it, especially being as far away from my family as I am. I hope to be able to fly up to NY again soon so I can hold him and kiss him for myself, but my sister has assured me he's been getting my long-distance kisses.

All the best for the little guy. Sounds like he's on the road to recovery. Nothing sounds too far out of the usual realm of potential complications. BTW, the tube bypasses the vocal cords, he can't vocalize his crying right now. In a few days it should all be behind him and like all kids, won't even matter to him anymore. It's always harder on the adults it seems.

He's added to my prayer list. Gotta pass it on to Someone who can help.

Sorry he is so far away. Please keep us informed...

I'll say a prayer for him, Rebecca. You might be surprised how resiliant toddlers can be; after Noah recovers he'll probably grow up to have a perfectly normal life. Who knows, maybe he'll even pitch for the Yankees some day! :-)

You know Chris and I have him (and you) in our thoughts!

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Good news! His breathing tube, chest tube, and internal heart monitor have all been removed, and he's been moved out of ICU. Now it's just a matter of time before they determine he's Ok to go home and continue his recovery.

Thanks to everyone for keeping Noah in their throughts and prayers.

Glad to hear the good news about Noah. Hope he gets to come home today. Your nephew & family are in my prayers.

Thanks for the upbeat report! :chug:

Go get 'em, Noah!
(boy, that reminds me of the old Bill Cosby dialogue - one of my favorites!)
"Would you mind getting it out of my driveway?" :-D

See? He'll be out there throwing warm-up pitches before you know it!

It's great to hear that Noah is recovering so well. 8-)

I'm happy to report that Noah is home and is back to being his cute self, scooting (not quite crawling yet) around the living room, hitting daddy's guitar thinking it will make music for him, and fussing whenever mommy leaves the room.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers.

...now if we can just get his mom to quit it with the comb-over!

0801050081px.jpg

Back