• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding in the heat - cool the neck!

I tested the cool collar today and found it to be very effective, however, it only lasted about 35 to 40 minutes at a temp of 98. Mine was in the refrigerator overnight before testing. I probably wouldn't bother with it if it was just marginally effective but it really felt good to have that coldness around my neck. I need to mention that I was also testing an evaporative vest which worked much better than I expected but I can't there was no question how good that collar felt.

Dukey, the camelback suggestion is a great idea. I'll look into that.

I'll be testing my collar in about two weeks. I bought the package of two cooling pads and the Polar cooler. I'll swap them out every 1.5-2 hours during my ride.

One of the ladies on the LDRider list posted up a link to some photos of a cooling system she built. I thought it was pretty neat and asked for some details. The link to her photos is at the very bottom. She's getting ready to do a CC50 so she'll report back afterwards on how well it performed on the trip.

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:00:56 -0400
Cc: ldrider@ibdone.org
Subject: Re: [LDRider] Evap Cooling on the cheap

Thank you.
The idea was modified from another rider's idea. (Ron)
1. The tubing is Silicone (very flexable, semi-rigid), not Nalgene (rigid,poor flexibility). Therefore very low risk of chaffing.

Found here >>>
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23884&catid=799&clickid=searchresults
57292 <http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=31565> The small tubing is Tygon? Sanitary Silicone Tubing 1/8" ID

x 1/4" OD with 1/16" Wall (bought in 10' sections) ($17.30)
57296 <http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=31569> The large tubing is Tygon? Sanitary Silicone Tubing 1/4" ID

x 3/8" OD with 1/16" Wall (bought in 10' sections) ($24.10)
One quick disconnect M/F set
64650 <http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=37290> *Acetal
Coupling Quick Disconnects *Acetal Shut Off Coupling In-Line Hose Barb 1/4"
ID ($4.82)
64660 <http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=37300> *Acetal
Coupling Quick Disconnects *Acetal Shut Off Inline HB Insert 1/4" ID ($4.95)

I don't recall where I got the "Y" connector, the 1/4" to 3/8" reducer, hand
pump with 1/4" fittings or the check valve just below the "Y". They were
ordered years ago for another project.

2. Pop-off: Yes. The distal end of the the small tubing does not have a zip
tie acting a hose clamp and will pop-off with a moderate easy pull.

3. The spacing of the holes is an indivual thing because my small frame girl
shoulders are not the same as larger people.
I placed them to be at mid-collar bone in front and mid-shoulder blade in
back.

4, You cannot drill or burn holes in silicone. They must be cut with a
razor. You'll need to practice, but fold the tubing tightly and nip a small
piece off. The hold should be 1/16" but not greater than 1/8" or most of the
water will dump out the two closest holes to the pump.

5. The lengths of tubing is also something you'll need to play with due to
body size, placement of water bladder, type of bike and where you want the
pump to be.

Running tubes down the sheves would just be a matter of adding "T"
connections and termanator plugs to the ends. However you'll run the risk of
not having enough pressure in the system due to the pressure dropping at
every hole along the path of flow.

I hope that helps and I will report back after the ride.

-Gwen

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Brian Thorn <brianthorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> >
> > On Friday, July 15, 2011, Shogs K1100RS <shogsk1100rs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I made this.
> >
> >
> http://shoganai.smugmug.com/Other/Evap-Cooling-Shirt/18026719_Mq6Js8#1381871207_zVsGSGP

One of the ladies on the LDRider list posted up a link to some photos of a cooling system she built. I thought it was pretty neat and asked for some details.

It looks like a "soaker" hose system you use on lawns and flower beds. I guess you squeeze the bulb and force water into the clear hose that is perforated in order to replenish the water soaking the shirt, thus cooling the rider.

Good idea....

RB

I started to make a cooling vest with the poly-whatever crystals in it. Two weeks later, I'm still waiting for it to finish drying out so I can take out half the crystals. Live n' learn! But the neckwraps I've made are working pretty well. I keep them in zipper bags in the fridge so they're always ready to go. I don't get to ride far and wide - commutes mostly - so I'm not sure how long they'll last in terms of cooling but I'm planning on finding out soon!

I was following the Llano out of Junction on a 105° day. I was stopping and soaking my tee and helmet liner. I came into a grove of mesquite that was full of these little black bugs. I flipped my shield shut and was amazed how cool the inside of my helmet came as the hot dry air coming through the vents evaporated the water in the liner, making an endothermic affect.

I use this trick all the time in the heat now. Cool air on you face will do wonders for you comfort. :rider:

I purchased some dry wick tee-shirts while in Afghanistan (duke brand). I have been riding everyday since I got home and wearing them under my textile jacket they work great together with a little sweat or water. Both DS and tour riding. ANd to me after Kandahar it really isn't that bad here, but it sure is humid ;-).

I purchased some dry wick tee-shirts while in Afghanistan (duke brand). I have been riding everyday since I got home and wearing them under my textile jacket they work great together with a little sweat or water. Both DS and tour riding. ANd to me after Kandahar it really isn't that bad here, but it sure is humid ;-).

May have to try that. Thanks for your service. Ex jarhead here.

Back