• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Kayak the Colorado-Tomorrow, 6/10/15

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
I will be kayaking the Colorado tomorrow, June 10, 2015.

I have 5 kayaks, so there are spots for 4 hardy souls to join me.

I will be launching from Fisherman's Park in Bastrop, Tx. around 6:30, but I would prefer you left your mode of transport at my house (in Bastrop). I'm a little flexible with the launch time.

It takes 2-3 hours if we really take our time. 2 hours is a more normal float.

I will have shredded chicken tacos at my house afterward, and you are welcome to join me. Also, cans of Shiner are always welcome in my home (and on the river).

Post the words 'Oh yeah, I'm in" if you can make the commitment. The first 4 to post the magic words will get a free ride!

If no one responds, I'm going anyway!

I will be launching from Fisherman's Park in Bastrop, Tx. around 6:30, but I would prefer you left your mode of transport at my house (in Bastrop). I'm a little flexible with the launch time...

pm or am? How much earlier to be at your house?

_

Pm. I'll have everything loaded, so 615pm arrival would put us in the water at 630. Again, I'm flexible. I also have room of you want to stay the night afterwards.

'Oh yeah, I'm in"

I'll call you in the morning to confirm details. I also need a final check on work schedule, sometimes the phone is ringing in the morning with emergencies.

_

And for full disclosure I've never kayaked before but used to canoe frequently even in whitewater. Don't think it's super difficult is it?

You should call Oscar. I know he has kayaks and maybe doesn't see this thread in time.

_

Oh Yeah, I'm in

Sending PM regarding details :-D

And for full disclosure I've never kayaked before but used to canoe frequently even in whitewater. Don't think it's super difficult is it?

You should call Oscar. I know he has kayaks and maybe doesn't see this thread in time.

_

It's easy peasy. There is no swift water or turbulence to speak of. It's just a nice quiet float with nature.

I'll text Oscar.

I would love to join you but dont think I can pull it off tomorrow. Let me work on it and see if I can change some things.

Just curious.....why at night ? Because of work or because you like it better ?

I have my own kayak.

It's too hot, everybody works, and I'm out of town every every weekend.

Also, I don't feel so bad having a brew or two. ;-)

Also, I don't feel so bad having a brew or two. ;-)

This is what sold me also. Cold Shiner while floating on the water is hard to beat. Plus I've been riding too much lately so wanted a different activity for a change. Of course I have to ride to join this so I guess maybe I just used it as an excuse to ride mid week since my route plotted to get there will add an extra 200 miles vs direct route.

Joel be ready about 5 pm for an incoming text from the Bastrop Trails. "I just fell down..and can't get up" go asap to the trails and listen for my screams as I'll have a 600 lb. bike using my body as a pillow. Lol

_

Man I sure wish I could join, but I think it's too late to call in sick today :doh:

But it's never too late to go home sick. Actually the later you do the more believable it is. Best non contestable excuse is the runs. Take a bathroom trip and stay there for 20-30 minutes, then go back to your office for 10 minutes and make another obvious and hurried up dash to the restroom and stay another 15 minutes. Not that I've ever done that before. Lol

I'm planning to hit the road between 1-2pm, taking a roundabout northernly route. Only a little dirt planned which I will gladly detour around if you join.

_

But it's never too late to go home sick. Actually the later you do the more believable it is. Best non contestable excuse is the runs. Take a bathroom trip and stay there for 20-30 minutes, then go back to your office for 10 minutes and make another obvious and hurried up dash to the restroom and stay another 15 minutes. Not that I've ever done that before. Lol

I'm planning to hit the road between 1-2pm, taking a roundabout northernly route. Only a little dirt planned which I will gladly detour around if you join.

_

LOL I'll keep that in mind!

I've been kayaking a little and really enjoyed it. I have considered buying one many times.

I so wish I could make it work, but I have too much going on at work today. Had I seen this yesterday I could have made it work. Have fun! I'm jealous.

LOL I'll keep that in mind!

I've been kayaking a little and really enjoyed it. I have considered buying one many times.

I so wish I could make it work, but I have too much going on at work today. Had I seen this yesterday I could have made it work. Have fun! I'm jealous.

I saw two Malibu kayaks at a auction in Crosby a couple of weeks ago and just about picked them up for cheap. I should have done it. I would be fun to paddle around the lake in the hot summer and take a cool dip.

Last edited:
I'm not going to make it this time. Please keep me in mind for the next one.

A few photos will be posted tomorrow.

A combination of a late start, the whole Colorado River experience, Shiner, great friends, good times, failed spider avoidance leading to rapid baling, sandy footwear, my mom, and righteous chicken tacos lead me to believe that the tale would be best told in the morning.

Good night.

A few photos will be posted tomorrow.

A combination of a late start, the whole Colorado River experience, Shiner, great friends, good times, failed spider avoidance leading to rapid baling, sandy footwear, my mom, and righteous chicken tacos lead me to believe that the tale would be best told in the morning.

Good night.

Can't wait, hate spiders! lol I hope you got in before midnight!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150610_193610sm.jpg
    20150610_193610sm.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 332
  • 20150610_193903sm.jpg
    20150610_193903sm.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 20150610_202100sm.jpg
    20150610_202100sm.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 20150610_202119sm.jpg
    20150610_202119sm.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 352
Leaving work I saw SB on 150 coming from the Tahitian intersection towards 21.

I presumed he had survived his time on the trails and avoided having to throw his body between the new Yamaha and the ground to protect it.

With a little more notice we'd like to join in on the next one. We'll even bring our own boats.

Back