• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A couple of Helmet Photos from .....

Reaction score
Monday's get off.

-

Helmet3.jpg

-

Helmet1.jpg

-

Weird how the visors always seem to come out better than expected. Or maybe the paint damage on the shell of the helmet makes it look worse.

Either way, glad you had your bucket on, bro.

OUCH! Glad that was the part that hit the ground and not your noggin!

Yikes ! That's some serious damage, guess that is why I call them "skid lids".
Glad you are OK for the most part.

We need to show that to some of these anti-helmet riders I see all the time.

You notice there are no cracks? Thats a good thing.

You'll hear me often defend someone's choice to ride without one, but you won't see me riding without a helmet. Helmets are good, mkay.

:tab It is a wasted effort. If seeing the rashed faces of their helmetless riding friends won't do it, then seeing a rashed helmet obviously won't affect them. It's a free country. If they want to risk their heads... All I know is that neither myself or my Dad would be here today had we been helmetless a few times! So whatever risks there might be due to wearing a helmet, as is so often claimed by anti-helmet proponents, I'll gladly chance them!

I gotta get another flip front, but don't really want an N100. But, that's a testiment that it's a good helmet.

I've done worse to a Bell Star II, nearly carved the chin bar off it. I kept it for a long time to show people why I wore full face helmets, but I remember tossing it in a clean up a few years ago or I'd take a pic of it.

Glad you're alive!

Evidence of a hard hit there, Bill.

Sleepy - In my crash last September, the visor on my Shoei came off immediately when my head swiped the pavement. Part of that may have been due to some damage the hinge mechanism sustained the previous year when I hit a buzzard at @ 75 MPH. But without the helmet I'm sure I would have left a big chunk of my face on the road there in Arkansas - either that or I'd be dead. Let there be no mistake about it: your helmet is your friend.

Bushwacker,

Did read that you had a cut on your ear, as well as being out for a while? If so, what cut your ear? And have you pulled out the interior padding to see if there were any serious depressions in the styrofoam?

Just trying to get your impressions of how your helmet performed and lessons learned along that line.

Glad you are alive and reasonably well. Rib breaks and cracks are a true pain...for about a month.

So, ya goin' back with another Nolan? Looks like a pretty solid testament to the worth of having on the right PPE.

That one's only good as a conversation starter or wheel chock anymore. Retire it and replace, they are only good for one "chingaso".

Kocook,

I have not yet pulled it apart but I am planning to. I am waiting on the insurance company to bless my helmet claim.

I also had a major bruise on my right forehead.I looked around in the helmet and did not see anything to cut the ear. I actually have two small ear injuries. One right on top and one directly below that on the front of the ear. I am guessing that I hit so hard my head movement right against the lining abraised the injury to my ear.

I think the helmet performed admirably. They say I was out for 8 or 10 minutes. Between that and short term memory loss I really can not judge for myself and have to take the word of observers. But being hit hard enough to be out for that period of time and not have a closed head injury tells me that the helmet did a great job of radiating the impact.

DannyRoth,

As noted above I think the Helmet has done an admirable job and deserves its retirement.

To all

I am happy with the performance of the Nolan X-Lite and will very likely replace it with another one.

-

jetblue said:
this is ture, I went down on mine back in august. I normally wore my helmet 99% of the time this time I didn't and ended up with a nasty gash under the eye and a small facial fracture. all at under 20 MPH rest assured it will be on 100% now.

Looks painful, but as said before it's a nice testament to the performance of the helmet.

All it's good for now is a conversation starter...

And is that a big gouge on the top of the helmet (the brown thing) or dirt or something?

GlasZwiebel said:
And is that a big gouge on the top of the helmet (the brown thing) or dirt or something?

Blood, I think from the third finger of either my left or right hand.

Both of those fingers were bleeding on the very end of each. The only cuts on either hand.

Now there were some cuts and scrapes further up on both arms but no others on the hands.

Go figure.

-

Oh...well...that's different.

I'd stick with the conversation starter but maybe leave the blood part out.

Edit: Ah now that I look at it closer it's obvious that it's blood. Looked kinda brownish when I just glanced at the helmet..

I cringe thinking what kind of damage your face / head would have suffered if you had not had your helmet on or even if the helmet was flipped up at the time of the accident.

Glad to see that you are ok (reasonably speaking).

TX_F2 said:
I cringe thinking what kind of damage your face / head would have suffered if you had not had your helmet on or even if the helmet was flipped up at the time of the accident.

Glad to see that you are ok (reasonably speaking).

I have that Helmet currently sitting on my dining room table and have to look at it every time I walk by.

I also cringe and try to imagine exactly what my head/face would look like with those same gouges in it.

I want to make sure that when it is 102 in the shade I do not ever have a moment of weakness.

As noted in another thread, I had just started off from a stop sign and only gone about 10 yards when I lost it. Granted I had gotten on it pretty hard but I could not have been doing more than about 10-15 mph when it threw me off and into the pavement.

-

-

I have a "safety yellow" Nolan N100e that I like so much that I have a spare new one sitting in my shop. The spare is new and I got it from ebay. Less that a hundred bucks to my home. NEVER leave home without it.HB (that is the original helmet, not the spare)

Was really happy to see you posting again the other day. Also glad the Nolan did it's job, mine's 5 years old...time to get a new one.

bushwhacker said:
I have that Helmet currently sitting on my dining room table and have to look at it every time I walk by.

I also cringe and try to imagine exactly what my head/face would look like with those same gouges in it.

I want to make sure that when it is 102 in the shade I do not ever have a moment of weakness.

I'm glad to hear you're OK and doing well. :clap:

I agree to keeping the helmet as a reminder to always wear it. I was thinking of giving my wrecked helmet back to NewEnough for a credit on a new one, but thinking of what I'd look like or how I'd have ended up (paralized) makes me want to hang on to it... I wore all the gear I had each time I rode and I'm very glad I did.

It has made me reconsider having a flip up chin bar. I don't think I'll buy another one again; have to sell/give away the one I bought right after my accident for a solid full face helmet. I changed my mind after I purchased it.

Heal up soon!

:)
MuddyPaws

Last edited:
Glad you had your lid on man. it would have been A LOT worse w/o it!

I have been down 3x. once in the dirt and 2x on the street. all three times I have had a helmet and each time it has saved my bacon.

Don't have pics of the dirt helmet. a pic of my most recent bounce

85yh.jpg

Sorry for the bad lighting

Glad I had it

bushwhacker said:
And you know meat and bone wears away a lot quicker than that hard helmet outer shell.

-
no kidding. I'm ugly enough that I don't need to be w/o any of the skin on my face!

Back