• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire needed in Big Bend

Reaction score
First Name
David
Anybody got a front tire to fit a 1200 gs , I think a 100 80 19 . The 19 rem is the only thing I'm sure of . His is spitting chunks of rubber and will not make it to San Antonio . I checked the local sources in Terlingua and no luck so hoping maybe somebody in Alpine may have a pull off that will get him home . If not I'll rearrange my load in my truck and load his bike and deliver it for him . Thanks

Your usual sources down there are my same sources. Besides CycleTek and Robert, I don't know who would have a tire.

"Ernest" is a mechanic for the Border Patrol, he has a shop on the west end of Alpine; he is open after work and on weekends. The first time I met him I contacted him through the Border Patrol; he actually sent his wife with a trailer to the checkpoint on 118 to pick up my R90 with a bad alternator. I bought a battery, charged the one on my bike, and then made a mad dash for FW (and made it!).There is another shop also on the highway on the west side of Alpine. Dan Ray owns a car wash in Alpine, he has a very nice assortment of motorcycles and once sold me the clutch cable right off of his R100GS to put on my bike. Any of these places or people may know how to get a tire (or where). With UPS and FedEx both delivering in BB, it's possible to have a tire delivered overnight or within two days.

Already checked on delivery yesterday , supposed delivery time was wedensday afternoon , ill be headed east Thursday morn so it will be in the back of my truck by then . I knew there was somebody in alpine that had posted and helped people in the past but didn't think about this option till this morning .

Spitting chunks... Out of curiosity, what brand of tire? Had you dropped pressure to run in the sand?

I'm going to be in Fort Davis Friday for the weekend. I've got a used 1200 Front Metzler you can have if you still need it. PM me.

Anybody got a front tire to fit a 1200 gs , I think a 100 80 19 . The 19 rem is the only thing I'm sure of . His is spitting chunks of rubber and will not make it to San Antonio . I checked the local sources in Terlingua and no luck so hoping maybe somebody in Alpine may have a pull off that will get him home . If not I'll rearrange my load in my truck and load his bike and deliver it for him . Thanks

Not my bike , I think he said it was a shinko . It's all under control . We've been riding around a bit local at low speed and well load it in the back of my truck later today and I'll deliver it to his house tomorrow on my way home . I forgot about this place but if we could have gotten a tire Monday then he could have ridden the roads out here with thr rest of the group and back home tomorrow .

Anyone familiar with an Alpine Motorsports? I sliced my rear tire today on River Road and plugs only keep about 15 PSI. I made it from Rio Grande Village to Terlingua without incident, and we added a can of Fix-A-Flat about 30 miles ago.

I can definitely make it to Alpine but will need a 180/55 17" tire. Any suggestions/recommendations? Me and the bike are at the El Dorado motel tonight, and I'm heading to the on-site bar to inflict serious damage. Just look for the guy in orange Klim pants...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back