• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cen-Tex ride this weekend?

Mark G

Reaction score
Anyone planning a ride this weekend out of Austin? Weather'll be fabulous. I'm willing to ride drag on the Wing. I'm sure Suzanne would come along with me.

I was just thinking of organizing an event, but then I looked at my calendar and decided its just not in the cards until late January at the earliest. The one day I had open for that type of event is now the wrench session on the 14th. It's just as important and as good of a social oppertunity though.

My thought process was that if we rode for pie last year, maybe it would be for burgers this year, or BBQ, or even places like bridges and old forts. A search of ghost towns didn't turn up much.

I might be up for something on Monday, I was thinking of resurrecting the BBQ Run in February or so since it went on hiatus for the football and holiday season. Maybe swap BBQ and burgers month to month.

I like the ghost town idea. I have a book of Oklahoma ghost towns, the writer of it was a customer at the art store that I worked at in the mid 80's but I have only found a couple of them for Texas.

Nayone know anything about these two books?
Ghost Towns of Texas
More Ghost Towns of Texas

txmedic said:
My thought process was that if we rode for pie last year, maybe it would be for burgers this year, or BBQ, or even places like bridges and old forts. A search of ghost towns didn't turn up much.

That's because ghosts are invisible. ;-)

I agree we could use a change from the pie runs. BBQ runs have been done. I like the searches (bridges, ghost towns, historical markers, etc.) as something we can do, then grab food en route.

That would be ghost towns as in all the people have gone but remnants of the town remains, I will bring my Oklahoma book as there is some interesting reading in it. Here is a Texas Ghost Towns website.

There are some ghost story places like the old Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells.
Spirit of the Baker Investigations
Texas Escapes - Ghosts of the Baker Hotel

I still like the Pie Run concept as it has allowed a larger number of people to meet that a destination ride would normally allow since it gives everyone options. I say do both like we did with the BBQ Runs, hold it two weeks apart.

Squeaky said:
I like the searches (bridges, ghost towns, historical markers, etc.) as something we can do,

Geocaching or finding a benchmark near a geographical or architectural point of interest (railroad trestle, lighthouse, old church, historical marker, pie house, etc) . For those who GPS, or can team up with someone who does. For those who cannot, include cheat notes; since we don't want to exclude anyone.

Mark,
I think you meant that you are willing to ride sweep. Riding drag is something else entirely--you know like the tiara in Arkansas. umkay?

Sleepy Weasel said:
You named your 'wing Suzanne?

Why, what if I did, Weasel? Would you like to step outside and make something of it? I must warn you, I have seen Karate Kid AND both Kill Bill movies. I look just like Uma Thurman, to uh, boot.

kocook said:
Mark,
I think you meant that you are willing to ride sweep. Riding drag is something else entirely--you know like the tiara in Arkansas. umkay?

This web site is called Two Wheeled TEXANS. You, Mr. KoKook, are clearly from some stupid state like Road Island, which is not, by the way, an island, but is so small it only has one road, I gather.

Any TEXAN knows that riding drag is the worst of the cowboy jobs, dragging along at the rear of the herd all the way from Falfurrias to Kansas City, eating dust, urging stragglers back into the herd, making sure calves don't wander into the wilderness, shooting the occasional coyote or two trying to sneak up and have a quick veal snack, all alone, no one to talk to but the horse and the buzzards. Having to say "git along little dogies" all day, never even wondering why you're calling a bunch of hooved ruminants "dogies", which is actually spelled "doggies", but you din't go to school, now, didja, cowboy? Exactly like going on a group ride on a Goldwing.

I recommend you read any of the wonderful Texas history books written by Zane Grey or Louis L'Armour.

I am from Texas. Born in Kilgore. But moved to south Louisiana when I was 2 years old. My folks were in search of good food and coffee.

I came back later once I learned some Cajuns had been through the southern part and taught the folks in Houston how to cook; and real coffee was being imported.

Now as for you wanting to ride in drag on your 1/2 car, I say you go for it. You don't have to use that lame excuse that you read about it in some romance novel with a western setting with me. I am your friend, even if you want to dress like a nancy twinkle pants. And don't let anyone put you down for it either.

kocook said:
I am from Texas. Born in Kilgore. But moved to south Louisiana when I was 2 years old. My folks were in search of good food and coffee.

I came back later once I learned some Cajuns had been through the southern part and taught the folks in Houston how to cook; and real coffee was being imported.

Now as for you wanting to ride in drag on your 1/2 car, I say you go for it. You don't have to use that lame excuse that you read about it in some romance novel with a western setting with me. I am your friend, even if you want to dress like a nancy twinkle pants. And don't let anyone put you down for it either.

Ohhh, so you're my FRIEND, huh? Prove it: go beat the tar out of that Weasel character.

I agree, Sqweekey, Kokook IS crazy.

Given the rude hijacks of this thread, it's not surprising we din't get any riders. Suzanne and I went to Fred'burg for lunch today, then a nice cruise through the hill country, mighty dry out there, absolutely perfect, beautiful day, about 250 on the odo. Saw a few herds of pirates, the reddest Goldwing I ever saw in my life, a few other touring bikes, I guess all the sportibikers were in a sportsbar watching football? I dunno, roads were pretty deserted.

Back