• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where to get suspension set up?

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a place in the Katy/Houston area that can set up my suspension on my KTM? I need the sag/compression/ rebound all set. I'm not looking for new suspension stuff, just trying to get the most of the stock stuff for my height/weight/riding.

Check out OnRoadOffRoad, I think they are in Houston. Roger is the on-site suspension vendor for RideSmart, does suspension work for a lot of CMRA racers, and races himself.

http://www.ororcycle.com/

Yes, SW Austin just off Hwy 290 at the 290/71 split known as the "Y" in Oak Hill.

and most importantly-you MUST have the correct fork & shock springs BEFORE you attempt to adjust anything.

What is your weight? What fork & shock springs do you have? If the bike is not properly sprung for you/your riding weight, fix that FIRST. Once you get the springs right, then you can go through the clickers. Also, having someone else set your suspension for you is setting yourself up for headaches. How can someone else, who does not ride like you, or even ride the same bike as you, have an idea as to what you need suspension wise? Even after having a pro set up your suspension you will still need to make final adjustments yourself after riding the bike.

Step 1. Get correct springs for the bike.
Step 2. Set all clickers back to factory adjustment as per your owners manual.
Step 3. Ride the bike long enough to break in new springs.
Step 4. Analyze what you like about how the bike rides, and what you don't like.
Step 5. Make small changes-only on one component at a time. Ride some more and analyze how the feel of the suspension changed based on your adjustments.
Step 5. Make more small changes.
If you reach a point where you are as soft as you can go on compression settings and the bike is still too harsh, you may need a revalve at that point. Likewise, if the bike is too soft even with compression settings at the hardest adjustment point, you may need a re-valve.

It is very likely that with the correct springs you can find the adjustments that you like without revalving your suspension. However, in the case where you are attempting to use an MX bike for trails, or a trails bike for MX, you will most likely have to revalve in addition to respring.

I recently revalved the front forks on my CR250 for something better for woods type riding. My bike went from a jack-hammer off-road to a much smoother riding bike that did not fatigue me in 1 hour like it did before. I got advise from ThumperTalk about how to do this. Not saying that everyone should tackle their own suspension, but I am saying there is no "magic" to doing it yourself. Just have a good coach and you will be fine.

Knowing what I know now, and having educated people willing to help me, I would never pay someone else to set up my suspension.. Well, unless I just did not have the tools, and/or time, to mess with it myself that is. I can understand how some people don't want to make the commitment in tool purchases to do these things.

Google Bruces Suspension and read his tuning tips. Read it again. Again. Its really not hard, just take your time and think about what you are doing. "just do it"

Can anyone recommend a place in the Katy/Houston area that can set up my suspension on my KTM? I need the sag/compression/ rebound all set. I'm not looking for new suspension stuff, just trying to get the most of the stock stuff for my height/weight/riding.

In katy right behind Katy Mills mall.
does 4x4`s for cops and such. mx dirt
steves atv i believe
street Address: 1402 Greenbusch Rd, Katy, TX 77494
Phone:(281) 644-1040

Check out OnRoadOffRoad, I think they are in Houston. Roger is the on-site suspension vendor for RideSmart, does suspension work for a lot of CMRA racers, and races himself.

http://www.ororcycle.com/

Roger is suspension brilliant. I think one of the best in Texas. As a former software engineer, he brings in a disciplined approach to motorcycle suspension improvements on a wide range of bikes.

RB

I just recently took the plunge in tinkering with my suspension. Out of desperation, really. It's not at all difficult and the difference it made in how the motorcycle performs is remarkable. I originally had everything set to "sport" mode (this is hard settings for racing). After all, we're all way above average, right? Well...oddly enough, setting everything to "normal" sure helped my trails performance. My weight is right in the range for stock springs so that helps. Unless you have weight above or below your current spring rate, get a screw driver and a box end wrench and do your own suspension work. Err on the side of softness...unless your riding skills are way above average...:trust:

Did you try googling it?
Google Bruces Suspension and read his tuning tips.
I just searched google for "Bruces Suspension" and the first result is www.brucessuspension.com, with a sub listing below that for "Adjusting Suspension".

Just for kicks, if you go to the main page, there is a "suspension knowledge base" on the left of the screen, and #4 is "adjusting suspension".

I also searched for "Bruce Suspension", and "Bruce's Suspension". Every search came up with the primary link for the web page, and almost all the links below that were to web pages that looked like they would contain the link to the web page.

Closest I'd recommend is

Metric cycles in the heights
And of course motorcycles unlimited

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

I bought new front and rear springs from Racetech and installeld them myself. These match my riding style and weight. Racetechs techline helped with a few questions I had.

Back