• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Black Friday Getaway Ride

I plan on staying at Weston Inns in Rusk. 903-683-8383
I called today but got a wacko who did not know anything in English.
I will call tomorrow.
Rooms are $55 and it is best to call Weston direct because if you have to cancel you can get your money back. Not so on hotels.com. They will keep your money if you cancel.

I'm tentatively planning on making this trip if I don't go see the inlaws at the lake.

I'll most likely camp if I make it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm out for this ride. I'll be at the lake with the inlaws. Have fun and be safe.

Scuddy

:tab I've ridden most of the Southern sections of the route. IF it is dry, the sand can be a real challenge, even on a 650 sized bike. I actually have a GPX track from a ride in that area that I call the Sandblaster ride. It is a lot of fun...if you like sand ;-) This time of year though, it is likely NOT going to be real dry and loose. We just don't tend to get that much time between rain nor the hot days needed to dry it out. So it should be really nice. I did the ride with Ian last weekend that ran out to Groveton. I was two up on my 1200 GS and the sand was a non-issue. Some of the roads were a bit rough because of ruts and pot holes formed when they were wet, but that was pretty much a non-issue as well. The stretch between Lovelady and Pennington has some great sand.

:tab I don't know that I will be able to do the entire loop and stay overnight. I may have to just ride out Friday morning and come back home that evening. That would let me do a good chunk of the Southern portion of the route with the group. I'd probably be on my GS again and maybe two up as well. If anyone else is in the same boat as me for timing, I'd be happy to lead a group out from Huntsville Friday morning. We could meet up with the group near Austonio then run the route until it crosses 21. From there we could bail and head back on the highways (and maybe more back roads) to Huntsville.

:tab I've ridden most of the Southern sections of the route. IF it is dry, the sand can be a real challenge, even on a 650 sized bike. I actually have a GPX track from a ride in that area that I call the Sandblaster ride. It is a lot of fun...if you like sand ;-) This time of year though, it is likely NOT going to be real dry and loose. We just don't tend to get that much time between rain nor the hot days needed to dry it out. So it should be really nice. I did the ride with Ian last weekend that ran out to Groveton. I was two up on my 1200 GS and the sand was a non-issue. Some of the roads were a bit rough because of ruts and pot holes formed when they were wet, but that was pretty much a non-issue as well. The stretch between Lovelady and Pennington has some great sand.

:tab I don't know that I will be able to do the entire loop and stay overnight. I may have to just ride out Friday morning and come back home that evening. That would let me do a good chunk of the Southern portion of the route with the group. I'd probably be on my GS again and maybe two up as well. If anyone else is in the same boat as me for timing, I'd be happy to lead a group out from Huntsville Friday morning. We could meet up with the group near Austonio then run the route until it crosses 21. From there we could bail and head back on the highways (and maybe more back roads) to Huntsville.

I'm in with Scott, can't spend the night either.

Ian,

On Day one, are you guys heading SW out of Crockett? I was thinking, I'd run the route backward until I met up with the group, perhaps where the route crosses FM 230. OF course, if you guys start riding at the crack of dawn...

Ian,

On Day one, are you guys heading SW out of Crockett? I was thinking, I'd run the route backward until I met up with the group, perhaps where the route crosses FM 230. OF course, if you guys start riding at the crack of dawn...
Yes, well be heading west and then south and around to the east. I'm planing on getting things rolling around 0900.

How are we handling the reservation for the campground? Has a spot or 2 already been reserved or do we need to individually call to reserve?

How are we handling the reservation for the campground? Has a spot or 2 already been reserved or do we need to individually call to reserve?
I actually hadn't thought about that at all. Guess I've been out of the state park camping thing too long! I'll look in the morning and see if I can get a spot.

Ok, I reserved the last site at the park for that night. I reserved it as 2 tents, 4 people. I'll be in my hammock, and I doubt they'll be too uppity about us all being there.

Rob, I will be at the Smiley's by my house around 8:45am. I need to be home by around 4:30pm or so.

Sounds like the camping spot might be pushing the limit.. But think I'll try to make it down for this. In for Camping!

Sounds like the camping spot might be pushing the limit.. But think I'll try to make it down for this. In for Camping!
The campsite will be fine. Park offices typically close at 5pm, so if we get there later than that they can't say anything til it's too late the next morning! Glad you're coming. The forecast is looking great for this!

Back