• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nikon Retro Full-Frame, Digital FM2

As a former PJ and definitely old school, the thing most irritating to me with digital cameras is the human interface. A reasonably priced analog/digital SLR would be welcomed in these quarters if equipped with a great interface, i.e., bright viewfinder and silky smooth nearly instant shutter release.

As a former PJ and definitely old school, the thing most irritating to me with digital cameras is the human interface. A reasonably priced analog/digital SLR would be welcomed in these quarters if equipped with a great interface, i.e., bright viewfinder and silky smooth nearly instant shutter release.

You just said what I was attempting. Thanks!

Then you NEED to go look through the viewfinder of the new retro Df or a D4. They are both stunningly bright.

Not sure if the Df has it, but the D4 has a function button on the front by the lens mount that allows you to automatically go from full-frame, to 4/3, to square and some other format crop with the press of a button. Pretty cool little feature.

Hmmmm, maybe not at good as they thought.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHNm54U1nQ4"]Nikon Df Hands-on Review - YouTube[/ame]

Hmmmm, maybe not at good as they thought.

Wow. He was quite thorough in his review like he always is. Made some very valid observations too. The little 'bleep' was pretty funny as was all the "f" definition possibilities.

It's D4 or go home for me.

I looked at a "panda" Df (silver & black) at Ft Worth Camera on Saturday. I like the size and feel, but the silver pieces look cheap; I would probably buy the black Df. Big, bright viewfinder, but only tested it with AFS lenses. I would like to see how it works with my Manual Focus Ai & Ai-S Nikkors.

If I was rich I'd probably buy it for cool, nostalgia looks alone. But as poor and cheap as I am (I do ride a KLR, you know) I can't touch a $2900 body.

I'm hoping Nikon will listen to the reviews and critiques and come out with a real, bare-bones dSLR like a digital FM or F3. If they priced it right, maybe $1500-1800 body, I would be all over that.

I'm hoping Nikon will listen to the reviews and critiques and come out with a real, bare-bones dSLR like a digital FM or F3. If they priced it right, maybe $1500-1800 body, I would be all over that.

You can pick up a used film Nikon body for like $150 on an FE or FE2. Do you have any idea how many rolls of film you can shoot/develop for the remaining $1350-$1650? A LOT!

olympus-em1-1.jpg

I personally think Olympus has done a better job fusing nostalgia and technology with the amazing OM-D E-M1 - sure, not a full frame camera, but a delightful piece of gear with the lovely 12-40mm or 75mm prime.

Back