• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Headed East for 9 days!

Reaction score
Fellas, I'm looking for route suggestions for a big trip I am planning. This trip comes at a perfect time as I am going to be changing jobs and for the first time in my life, I can take 10 days off and not worry about phone calls or emails because I will be technically unemployed until my return!

I'll be departing from San Antonio, Tx and the details that are known for sure at the moment are the following:

Dates: July 2 - July 10
Mandatory stop: July 8-9 @ South Bend Indiana for my sister's graduation

I have a general idea of roads to ride and places I want to see during this trip. Obviously I am taking the long way towards South Bend

I am interested in heading east to deals gap, ride the dragon, the blue ridge parkway, and cherahola. Some of the places I'd like to visit along the way are Gettysburg and Niagara Falls. Other than this, I have no actual plan but I am curious to know if there are any "must ride" roads or other places that beg you to stop at. At the same time, I am going to be camping along the way so being in close proximity to a hotel is not necessary and if there are any suggestions on great camping areas I'd be very interested.

I will be leaving south bend in the wee hours of July 10th (2am or so) since I would like to ride straight to San Antonio that day. High mileage days dont worry me at all.

Any advice is much appreciated!

While in the NC area for the Dragon, got to Maggie Valley and the Wheels through Time museum. All american stuff. 90% motorcycles, but a few cars, some bicycles and outboard motors. The people that work there will fill your head with stories about the things there. Plus you can get right up close to them. Everything runs and the curator will fire them up and ride around inside the museum sometimes.

Back