• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle shed

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Our current house has a 3-car garage and I love being able to park all the vehicles, tools, and equipment inside. In fact, the garage was the main reason I bought the house. I was single and had 2 cars, a motorcycle, and no kids back then.

Anyways, growing family means it's time to move and because of school we're tied to an area. Finding a one story with a 3-car garage in our area and budget is practically impossible (we're in a 2-story currently and that's another reason to move).

Found a house that checks all the boxes except for the garage. Being a 2-car detached I can park the bike in the backyard but I have no clue what type of shed to look into.

I'm thinking a 10'x10' will easily store the bike and some additional storage for a few other items.

I'm thinking a 10'x10' will easily store the bike and some additional storage for a few other items.

From experience, if you think a 10x10 is big enough, install a 20x20.

From experience, if you think a 10x10 is big enough, install a 20x20.

Very true.
Unless its a shed just for working in and bike is still stored outside.

I been thinking of the the metal "carports" you see for sale on side of the road.
Something big enough for two bikes and tool boxes.
Once its in place, build floor deck, and possibly skin the sides w tin as it will have roof already.

Basically more bang for the buck vs a shed kit sort of thing.

Thats another thought for u as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're in a neighborhood or city limits, check their restrictions/permitting regulations. In the city limits where I live, as long as the building is less than 10x12, you don't need a permit and over a certain size, it has to be wind rated. And yeah, you'd be surprised how small 10x10 is.

Do you have alley access? Defiantly check codes. I know a few who did the same. Put bikes in sheds. If you have ally access is easier for getting bikes in and out unless you build a path.

Personally I'd like a 1/2 acre lot so that I can have an area large enough for a additional 2 car and if possible an attic office. I'd down size a house for that! Currently in an affordable 3 car single story house. It was at the top of our budget and we had to move farther out to find one that was affordable and also have deal with an HOA.

One detail I ran into in Austin: if you run city power to the shed, then you need a breaker box, all elec run through conduit, and city inspections. For me, that would have cost more than the shed itself (120 sq ft - close to max allowed without permit). So, I put a pair of PV panels on top and a pair of golf cart batteries inside. I get interior / exterior lighting and could trickle-charge my bikes, but little else from this small solar system.

I can fit two small-ish bikes in there, but both have to come out for me to move around or actually use the interior shed in any way.

I consider my 10x12 useful and "worth it" for the low cost and hassle (ordered one day, installed two days later, if I remember correctly). If the city permitting / inspection wasn't the hassle I expected it to be, I'd have gone 12x20 with a roll-up door.

Last thought: consider the ramp into the shed and the kinda bike (weight, width, turn radius) you're going to have to put in there. Don't expect to ride into a 10x12 shed, and once in, you'll have to back it out - unless you get two doors.

There has never been a recorded case of someone having too much garage or shed.

Check out derksenbuildings.com. I just bought a 14x30 loft cabin for my wifes she-shed. They have all size and styles at a decent price. I was impressed with the build quality, fit and finish.

Bah.

I hung out in my 3-car garage and just stared at how convenient it is and decided I'm not gonna settle.

You're a wise man. Some have to make the mistake before they realize it was one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Check out derksenbuildings.com. I just bought a 14x30 loft cabin for my wifes she-shed. They have all size and styles at a decent price. I was impressed with the build quality, fit and finish.

Thanks for the referral. Although I'm gonna stick with the garage route I spent a few hours staying up researching companies. I came across half a dozen shed building companies in the greater Houston area with different names but identical text on their webpages. Finally found a few negative third party reviews for one of the companies and it sounded like they were all the same fly by night company that did bad work and didn't stick to their warranty.

Also didn't think about maintenance and needing power for lights, battery tender, etc. It would be more of a hassle to move a car out of the garage to make space for maintenance.

Just parking the cars in the driveway is not an option?

I hung out in my 3-car garage and just stared at how convenient it is and decided I'm not gonna settle.

As a practical matter, it may also be simpler compared to finding something that almost works and then having to customize it. Not quite as bad as adding a pool, but same principle.

Lowes has a few out front of some of the stores.
offer kits and/or set up

Saw a 10x12 w loft for like 1000 or 2000 installed.
I think thats what it was.
Might be a better option if the warranty thing scares you.
At least you know they wont leave town. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm house hunting now and having the same debate about garage space and a shed. I found us a decent house with 3 car garage plus car ports front and rear, but the wife doesn't like it. Right now I'm looking at 3 houses, one with a 3 car, one with a 2.5 car, and one with a detached 2 car plus a porte cochere. The struggle is real.

Back