• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gandbury West Run November 18, 2017

Reaction score
SEE POST #6 FOR THE ROUTE AND A BETTER DESCRIPTION

So November will be my last ride for the year. I have lived up to my end of planning and leading 12 rides. Not that I will quit, but I have a shoulder surgery that I am looking at, Moving into a new house in December and breaking in a new bike.

Yes, the Tiger 800 is being replaced.. I know you all love my Tiger...but circumstances has lead me to buying a replacement. A 2017 Tiger Explorer..Yeap.. a 1200 monster bike... It will take some time getting to know the bike and configuring it to my needs. So with that we will move on to the ride.

So, what I am looking at is starting from a friend of mines property just west of Grandbury. The ride is a route I have been planning for awhile, it was called Jens Virgin Run, but seeing how she is not riding anymore...I can change it around, add to it and make it something more challenging. So the ride will go west and the total mileage will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 miles. Probably a little less....still working on that.
Get your calendar marked and plan on a DAY of riding before all of this Holiday stuff starts.

As usual I will post the route here when it is complete.

Chris

Last edited:
Sounds good to me, i've been wanting to explore this area. I may try to bring the XR in my truck for this.

As this is the last run of the year, any chance we could start an hour later? Google maps is telling me it a 2.5 hour drive, so that means leaving at 5:00 to 5:30am to be there for an 8:00am start, if we could start at 9:00am, it would make the start a lot more civilized for some of us?

Gary

Well its a long ride. Starting at 9 would put us back later. But really it probably is only an hour and a half to his house from yours. So maybe 8:30...but let me finish the route and look at the metrics. I should finish it with in the next several days.
Going west from Granbury poses it's own difficulties....

We shall see.

UPDATE... HERE IS THE ROUTE.

So this is 158 miles.

Given the transit to and from Grandbury, I suspect that about 1/3 is pavement of some sort. The overview looks good and the elevation changes will be interesting because part of this appears to be in some hill country.

The guidelines are...
We are eating on the road... so pack a lunch... AGAIN.. PACK A LUNCH..water food etc... There will be gas along the way. However if you have a RotoPack, I would bring it. I will bring mine just in case someone needs fuel.

If you have ridden with me all year then you will be prepared. However new guys are welcome always.

This is my last ride for the year, and probably my last until May. I expect all of the regulars to show because its what we do.

Gary, Glen, KLR Bill, KLR Steve... KTM Wes.. KTM Jeff... CLETUS!... Honda700 Kevin... just to name a few.. You all know who you are...

I made a promise to do 12 rides this year, and I have come thru..this is #12. So you all do me the honor and join me on this years last ride.

Given the distance, Bikes stand up at 8.

As stated before you can leave your trailer at my friends house, he has PLENTY of room. If you have a camper or want to camp on his property, let me know, I will ask. I might camp as well.

The route is here. Take a look...

Attachments

• WestLipanRun.gpx
    409.9 KB · Views: 582
  • WestLipanRun.kmz
    23.5 KB · Views: 416
I confirmed with my friend.
The night before (friday night), camping will be available to us. My friend has plenty of land and space to pitch a tent if you would like to camp the night before. I probably will be camping the night before so I don't have to drive down the next morning. The option is there if you want it.

Chris

Don't forget there is a time change coming! Not sure how this will affect your start time. I always get confused.

@garyra and i plan to be there. We will be camping saturday night. I will be flying in from Chicago Friday evening, otherwise i would be camping Friday night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only have asked him to camp at his house for Friday night. But I am sure there is a camp ground near by seeing how it is near the Brazos river. But GREAT I am glad you are joining us!!

I'm in on the ride.
I have a place on the lake with plenty of room for camping. Can make camp fires and have a grill for cooking, all the amenities, bathroom. Welcome Friday and Saturday night.
Let med know.
David

I'm in on the ride.

I have a place on the lake with plenty of room for camping. Can make camp fires and have a grill for cooking, all the amenities, bathroom. Welcome Friday and Saturday night.

Let med know.

David

Very nice, do you have trees for a hammock? If so, @Garyra and myself will take you up on the offer for saturday night. If no trees we can bring tents.

Very nice, do you have trees for a hammock? If so, @Garyra and myself will take you up on the offer for saturday night. If no trees we can bring tents.

We have trees, I also have a cabin above the boat dock that can sleep four comfortably. No worries, can make it work for whoever wants to hang out.

Friday night camping at my friends property is basically in an open field. We will have a fire pit for warmth and cooking if needed. Next week I will call for a list of who all will be camping Friday night and who will be doing the ride on Saturday. I will keep you informed.

Chris

We have trees, I also have a cabin above the boat dock that can sleep four comfortably. No worries, can make it work for whoever wants to hang out.
sounds perfect! thanks.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Tapatalk

Here is the spot for camping on friday night and the starting point for saturday morning. Its off of Tin cup road.. on spring ct

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, could you also mark where we should park our cars when we arrive Saturday morning with trailers? Don’t want to piss your friend off after he is being so nice to let us meet and camp there.

Gary

Back