• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First pair of gloves...

Reaction score
I got the bike, I got the jacket but still need a good pair of gloves. There just seems to be so many to choose from. I have kind of narrowed it down but could still use some help/advice.
1. Will be used in cold weather(but not rain if I can help it)
2. No crazy colors (keep it simple)
3. full length or gauntlet? style
4. Try to stay under $40
5. Will protect my hands from skidding on asphalt(this should actually be #1)

Close to $40, but these are my favorite winter gloves. You want gauntlets in the cold. They aren't racing gloves but will provide reasonable skid protection in a spill.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Olympia-Sports-4350-Season-Gloves/dp/B001A3LGA4"]Amazon.com: Olympia Sports 4350 All Season I Gloves - Large/Black: Automotive[/ame]

41ND9xbmI9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lee Parks PCI. Well above your limit but probably the only second pair you will buy because you will need a pair for summer.

you mentioned skidding/assphelt rash, in your original question...

i have been using the ELK SKIN gloves, found @ the local farm store & many good dual sport outlets

they usually run around $30 - $40

i have had the opportunity to do the assphelt/skidding test & they passed!!!

they will, also, repel water when properly treated

there is a reason cowboys use ELK SKIN GLOVES to wear while building barbed wire fences

cowboys use the tan/natural coloured gloves

aerostitch, amongst other m/c outlets, also offer ELK in black

shiny side up

you mentioned skidding/assphelt rash, in your original question...

i have been using the ELK SKIN gloves, found @ the local farm store & many good dual sport outlets

they usually run around $30 - $40

i have had the opportunity to do the assphelt/skidding test & they passed!!!

they will, also, repel water when properly treated

there is a reason cowboys use ELK SKIN GLOVES to wear while building barbed wire fences

cowboys use the tan/natural coloured gloves

aerostitch, amongst other m/c outlets, also offer ELK in black

shiny side up

Motorcyclist did a glove abrasion test several years ago. They included a pair of leather farm work gloves just for fun. I don't know if they were elk skin or not. The seams failed because they weren't designed for motorcycle accidents. I prefer gloves that have double leather or armor in the appropriate places and gauntlets to protect your wrists and keep the gloves from sliding over the heals of your hands.

Motorcyclist did a glove abrasion test several years ago. They included a pair of leather farm work gloves just for fun. I don't know if they were elk skin or not. The seams failed because they weren't designed for motorcycle accidents. I prefer gloves that have double leather or armor in the appropriate places and gauntlets to protect your wrists and keep the gloves from sliding over the heals of your hands.

i seem to remember that article

"FARM GLOVES" & ELK SKIN GLOVES are 2 very different critters

i 2 enjoy gauntlets in the cooler months

got mine from FOX CREEK LEATHERS

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/display_categories/68-mens-elkskin-gloves-amp-gauntlets/products/220

Made in USA

$60, as i remember

& like i said, i gave my cowboy styled gloves a very severe test, last february

when a substantial number of world class/around the world DS riders only use one pair of gloves, it would seem obvious that consideration is wise

& if my memory still serves me, the NATIVE AMERICANS chose ELK over Buffalo & Buffalo over DEER skins for the soles of their moccasins...HMMMMMM...........

See if you can find some cortechs on closeout. I would spend a bit more, your hands come in handy...

Personally, I will only buy helds. They are a bit more, but will last you many years and kick ****, dianese, etc.. derriere in terms of fit/finish/quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitment is the key to comfort and function with all motorcycle gear, but most critical in gloves. Come up just short in the thumbs or a little bulky across the palms and your ride will be half as enjoyable. And unlike jackets and pants, which can at least be generally based on height/weight/chest/waist type of numbers, it is very difficult to base glove sizing on a number. Yes, there is palm measurement that equates to Euro glove size (this is what I do day in-day out, remember), but there are just too many variables in glove sizing. Unless you already know that you wear a specific size in a given brand and can then adjust for a new brand/model accordingly, trying to select the right glove sight unseen is EXTREMELY difficult. Oh sure, you can buy a large and exchange for a medium or XL instead, but you won't be able to buy Brand X Model Y with the certainty that Model Z or totally different Brand A or whatever wouldn't have been a much better choice for you. I sell gloves online, too, but my advice, especially for someone without much riding glove experience on which to base a semi-informed decision, is to visit a well stocked shop and select the best fitting glove after trying on numerous options. Uncomfortable gloves are #1 (or maybe a close #2 to an ill fitting helmet) in my book of things that can ruin a ride.

If only there was a well stocked motorcycle shop in my area. :pound:

I've never had the pleasure of buying motorcycle gloves from a real store. I eventually figured out that XL gloves fit me better than L. :argh:

Although it's late, I'll toss in another vote for Held Gloves. I wear the Steve's during the summer and they're fantastic: made for bikes.

Back