• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

General DS Dirtiness - Armor?

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice for some upper body protection for DS use in the hotter parts of our State where a jacket is going to be too bulky & hot (think Big Bend). I see all kinds from mesh to exo-skeletons, I'm not looking to go dirt-bike crazy but just something to protect me in an off-road fall.

Cheap is nice too!

I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket for both street and dual sport. Plenty of air moving. The only thing it doesn't provide is roost protection; not a problem if you don't tailgate. I actually have two jackets; the older one I use for dual sport riding. When I get a new street jacket the older one gets moved to dual sport duty.

I have a similar jacket - I'm looking for something to be worn under a Moto-X type shirt (like the Klim).

This is a good thread. This past summer I was thinking about trying to find the best flowing air mesh armored jacket available and never really looked. The only one I've ever worn is my First Gear and I sweat like crazy in it in the smmer.

Philip, I have a Juggernaut and it's pretty spectacular. They don't have women's sizes/fitting so that may make a difference but the mesh parts are all very lightweight and full of holes like the lining of my Airglide pants. The midsection area is very firmly packed up with a kidney belt and loads of Velcro to make everything fit right so that may be the hottest part of the whole piece.

It may be looser because I have wimpy spaghetti arms and not burly shoulders. I have the XS/SM size. The shoulder pads are pretty huge for me (see wimpy/not-burly above) but I think they'd be exactly right for most men. The elbow armor is impressive and has elastic/velcro to tie it down right where you need it. I like that it's all one piece because then I have less gear to lose.

I feel like Robocop in it. :mrgreen:

Whaddya think - arms or no arms?

I guess a decent wicking T underneath would be all you need?

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/2012_titan_sport_off_road_jacket/web1008573

This is what I use and love it. The back piece is removable. I've worn it during the summer without any shirt, with a jersey and under a light jacket when it was cooler. I believe they also have a sleeveless version but I like the elbow protection. The mesh breathes better than you'd think.

10050bk.jpg

If you're up in the neighborhood again some time, I'd be happy to let you see it. You can even try it if you think it's not too small. The company is a small family shop so you will have to wait to get one once you order it. I think they make them after an order comes in if I remember reading their information right. I wasn't in any great big hurry. I'm happy to let you see one in person because I don't think you'll find their stuff in any shop.

Lots of good stuff out there!

Back