• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond Epic 5 - Ozark Rally, May 26-29, 2017

You guys have the spirit . Don't let a little rain ruin the long weekend. Have fun . I'm sorry I'm not there . Please make us jealous with your epic stories and pics :rider:

I just finished over 200 miles of amazing twisty beautiful roads and another 30 miles of nice dirt roads. Weather was perfect 75 to 85 with broken clouds. I may try some of the dirt roads tomorrow on the Husky but don't feel like doing any big water alone...

We got in about 6pm. Not sure what we are doing tomorrow, but it will be pavement. Forecast looks good.

I saw some bikes out front of the hotel. I am at the bar just across the street. Reach out to me let me know what you are thinking for tomorrow. Five one two 406 one seven 96

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw some bikes out front of the hotel. I am at the bar just across the street. Reach out to me let me know what you are thinking for tomorrow. Five one two 406 one seven 96

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent you a PM with contact info. At Holiday Inn around the corner from you.

We are staying at the Best Western Sherwood. Just got back from a late Mt. Magazine run. I'm prolly heading to Wilderness riders' place tomorrow so Jesse can hook up with some kids on dirt bikes. Weather is looking good do far. Ya'll have fun. If you see a young guy on a beautiful red Grom, that's my son Daly. He will be riding pavement solo tomorrow while Jesse and I hit the ranch.:rider:

Left a Vm for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:tab Well, Daniel and I got to Clarksville around 3:00pm on Thursday. The weather was incredible. We checked in as fast as we could and unloaded my GS for a run up to Mt. Judea on 123 and then dirt back down the East side of the mountains to Falling Water Falls off Hwy 16. It was about 78 F and no humidity. Then we ran 123 back to Clarksville. There was a LOT of wildlife out and about!! The deer were kind enough to stand right out in the middle of the road so they were easier to spot. We got back to the hotel and hooked up with Mike (KubotaMike) and had dinner before calling it a day.

:tab Friday we headed up to Donny's place and dropped off the truck and trailer. We unloaded the GS and worked our way East on back roads through Jasper and eventually up Yellville. From there we ran up to Peel ferry and then up 125 North. There was a bridge out on 125 at Brushy Creek. We got detour instructions from a construction worker that took us up over the mountains on Glade Top road and Skyline road. That plopped us back out on 125 just a mile or so north of the bridge and we were on our way. At MO H, we turned back South to US 160 and ran into Branson for some dinner. Then it was a back road blast back to Donny's place. We got in about 7:45pm, leaving just enough time to set up camp and unload the remaining bikes. Larry and his kids had just arrived and Ian and Debra arrived a few minutes before. That night we watched a nasty storm blow through Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri. The lightning show was impressive. We never got a drop of rain.

:tab Saturday was hot and steamy, but the riding was incredible!! By the end of the day we were beat! Around 10:30pm, serious storms came blasting through the place. It was crazy winds, loud thunder, hail, etc,... until just after midnight. There was a short break where I got out of the trailer to see if the tent campers were still with us and the temp had really dropped!! They were a little wet but fine. Then the lightning got really wild, spreading out over our heads from horizon to horizon :eek2: About 20 minutes later it started raining again, but not as hard. I was at least able to sleep through it. The first storm had the trailer rocking and it was LOUD inside. Daniel slept right through it without even twitching once. He was exhausted from the riding.

:tab Sunday morning, it was drizzly and grey, but it burned off by 11:00am or so and got real pretty again. Everyone else went out for another long ride, but I stayed back and started getting stuff ready to go. That and I was just tired from a severe lack of sleep the last few days on top of the riding. The drive back to Clarksville was beautiful, cool and dry. We hooked up with Debbie, Erik, Camillo, Nadeem, and Rusty for dinner. Ian and Debra joined us as well. Apparently, they got into some rain closer to Clarksville and cut their ride short on Sunday.

:tab We didn't hit any rain on the way back Monday. However, between Marshall and Carthage on US 59, there must have been a mess of tornadoes because there were downed trees, snapped in half trees, and huge branches EVERYWHERE. Quite a few were sticking out into the highway, even after crews had come through to cut most back so traffic could get through. I could see where some had come all the way across both lanes into the median!! A few homes had large trees down on the homes. Many had large trees down in their yards. Some had ALL their trees down. The damage went on for miles as we drove South. Hopefully, all the TWT members in that area are safe and unaffected!?

:tab As usual, weather in Arkansas is weird. It stormed like crazy in one spot and was beautiful just a few miles away. Sometimes elevation has a lot to do with it. Trail riding would have been pretty treacherous. However, the forest roads have been getting a LOT of fresh gravel and would not be bad in the rain unless it was just storming like crazy. The roads have a lot of grip, even when wet, because of the aggregate they use for their asphalt. It is like sand paper. My front TKC on the GS is toast because of it!

:tab All in all, it was a great weekend.

Had a great time, weather was perfect while I was there.

Will post pics when I get photo bucket working :(

Last edited:
Here are some pics from my ride (all alone :( )

Before I rode I met up with Scott and his son for some Mexican food.

20170526_013324778_iOS_zpsz3x2mart.jpg

This is where the ride started. Note: The route just above this spot is blocked, seems like the property sold and it is now private property. I found a way around by back tracking into the park and hooked back into the track.

20170527_160746713_iOS_zpsc9ihcya3.jpg

My next obstacle was a downed tree I had to go over, no way around.

20170527_165543931_iOS_zpspkgr59bw.jpg

Ran into this cool spot

20170527_164207076_iOS_zpsuixilylf.jpg

Another obstacle. This wasn't easy to get around !!!

20170527_170359066_iOS_zpslfttjtek.jpg

The country is absolutely amazing

20170527_182449577_iOS_zpsnckrchrx.jpg

20170527_182428624_iOS_zps9hatkahe.jpg

I discovered that not all mud is created equal. I thought it would be so easy to go around the deep water hole but when my front wheel rolled into this bog I almost went over the bars. It took 15 mins to get the bike out. No way you could just pull it back, I had to pry it down on its side then used one of the branches laying there to pry it out sideways inch by inch. The front wheel wouldn't turn until I dug out the gunk. Insane mud!

20170527_194717130_iOS_zpsrtnhw5it.jpg

Finally got into town for a quick bite

20170527_210734637_iOS_zpsewpubxvr.jpg

Last edited:
Good pictures Mike.
As you know, we were to the left of the last picture having lunch when you walked in the the Oark store.
We repeated lunch there the next and dinner at the Mexican restaurant too!

Back