• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

35mm (film body) 70-300mm lens on DX format DSLR?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab So I have a Nikon AF 70-300mm lens that I bought back in my film days. If I buy a D90 or D7000, I know it will "work" with the body, but what about the fact that the lens was originally for a 35mm format versus the smaller DX sensor? I have no been able to figure out what it means for the lens in terms of its equivalent zoom range? Does it mean that the image the lens captures will be larger than the sensor, so that what I see through the view finder is not really what I will capture, but instead will be a cropped version of what I see? :ponder:

:tab Just trying to see if any attempt to maintain backward compatibility with that lens is even worth the effort versus just using something like the newer AF-S 18-200mm VR :shrug:

If I understand correctly, the glass will still be the glass at 70-300. Yet if you have a crop body, effectively you'll have a 105-450 since the sensor is a smaller area and will crop the outer edges. ie: what you see in the viewfinder will be what your image is (short of 1 or 2% at the edges).

If I understand correctly, the glass will still be the glass at 70-300. Yet if you have a crop body, effectively you'll have a 105-450 since the sensor is a smaller area and will crop the outer edges. ie: what you see in the viewfinder will be what your image is (short of 1 or 2% at the edges).

Bingo. It was auto fous on a D90 or D7000 and what you see through the viewfinder is what you will get. You're going to have a 70-300 x 1.5, effectively.

If you put a 50mm prime lens made for a FX camera on a DX body, it will be the equivellent of a 75mm.

Back