• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interesting article about potential issue with Symax II helmets....

Interesting.

I have a HJC CL Max modular (not the Symax II) that I was wearing when I ran off the side of a mountain in Arkansas and ended up 30 feet below the road after bouncing off rocks and trees. The helmet took several severe hits including at least one on the face bar. Other than a concussion my head was OK, wish I could have said about the 16 other bones I fractured or broke.

I still have it in a box in my closet. After reading this article I went and took the chin bar apart to see how the latch was secured. It is secured the same way discribed in the article with 4 screws inserted into post molded into the chin bar. All 4 post are still intact with no signs of stress.

My Sy Max II is currently in for warranty repair for the exact issue mentioned in the article. My helmet is way under a year old. When I contacted Motorcyclegear.com about sending it in for warranty, I was told that they had seen several come back for this issue. Motorcyclegear sold a ton of these at a bargain price. I do consider it a helmet bought at a price point and do not have the expectations that I would have with a more expensive helmet. I'll also add that when mine broke, I had trouble getting it to Un latch. It was latching fine.

Back