• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brutal Heat Doesn't Phase Me Anymore!

Tesla

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Been testing out a phase change vest from Comfort Rider (no affiliation with them) and I'm very pleasantly surprised how effective they are. I'm assuming that they're not as popular as the evaporative vests due to the cost which I have a problem with as well. However, its easier to justify when I realized that I can use it for much more than motorcycling like mowing the grass, playing tennis or going out for a jog. All those activities I attempted to plan in the early morning during this time of the year but not any more. Not limited by humidity levels or air movement makes them much more effective than evaporative vests but the logistics of carrying extra ice packs while keeping them cold on a long hot trip on the bike is a bit more challenging but very doable. The only situation that I couldn't use them is when wife and I both are wearing vests with spare ice packs in a cooler on overnight trips.....just not enough room to store the cooler in the top case or side cases on the FJR. Now if I had a Wing or convince the wife that she really doesn't need to bring so much crap it would be a different story.

Now if I had a Wing or convince the wife that she really doesn't need to bring so much crap it would be a different story.

Having a Wing is a step in the right direction, but I am going to seriously look at a Pak-It Rack for the Wing because when we're two-up on a long trip it is very hard to carry enough stuff. We're going to be shipping stuff home from the hotel today because we can't carry it all (I was solo up until yesterday when she flew in to Denver).

I wouldn't mind the cost if you got a longer cooling time. Or if there was some way to recharge the packs on long rides for those of us not riding touring bikes. But I do agree that it would be good for other outdoor activities like you mentioned

Back