• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Introduction

Jill

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm here to probably mostly lurk and learn, but may eventually jump in. I know almost nothing about motorcycles and I just got my first one in May of this year, a 2007 WR250F. I've wanted a dirt bike since I was 19 years old. Somewhere I have a photo of me sitting on a little 125, getting my first instruction on how to make it go... you can kinda see on my face in that moment that I was hooked. I remember that first ride around the driveway like it was yesterday. Then, it took me 30 years to make it happen! A couple years ago my boyfriend, a 30 year enthusiast with a DRZ bought his 15 year old a Honda 150 that we saw collecting dust at a friend's party. They started riding a lot and I started to get antsy again (and a little jealous!). I got on that thing one weekend and realized, what am I waiting for? About a month later and $3,500 poorer I found myself with a beautiful barely driven (800 miles on it) machine that kicked my butt for a few weekends. I'm completely smitten with it. I'm the one begging everyone to pack up every weekend and head for the desert, and cranky if we can't go! I just ordered an all-white plastics kit and getting ready to pimp my ride in my own colors and designs.

I found this group while doing research on converting to road legal and saw a post here from someone who had re-wired the headlight and taillight to operate hi-beam and brake light instead of just replacing those lights with what comes in a kit. I think that's brilliant but can't find anyone else who knows anything about it so I wanted to connect and get more info. That whole thread was actually fascinating to me, people were also talking about re-gearing and other tricks and modifications. I grew up handing tools to my race-car mechanic dad so I'm actually quite interested in mechanics and modifications, and how things work. I'd love to be able to do a lot of it myself, but that might take another 30 years to learn!

I currently live in Los Angeles, but I'm from Oregon and plan to plate the bike there because it's pretty much impossible to do it in California now.

I was told I'd better post a picture of my bike! So I'm going to try to figure that out now... in it's current stock 'colors' (and that picture of THAT DAY if I can find it!).

Jill

Attachments

• 13615223_10154290813167801_4856600031932916009_n.jpg
    13615223_10154290813167801_4856600031932916009_n.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 195
Welcome Jill. For the others reading this, I was the one posting about wiring up my 2003 WR250F. I'm pretty sure there were some other discussion on Thumpertalk too, but I can't find them. Hopefully the info I sent via PM helps. If anybody else has dual sported their WR250F recently, post up. Jill is in California and could use a mechanic recommendation in the LA area. Or someone handy with wiring.

Hopefully we have some other dual sport riding info to help you out even if we can't solve the wiring stuff.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

I spent two years in L.A. (1991-1993) before I got into riding. I was going to law school at Southwestern University School of Law near downtown off of Wilshire Blvd. I lived on Encino the first year and then moved over off of Santa Monica Blvd on Bundy. That was much nicer than Encino and close to the beach, pier, 3rd St Promenade, etc,... Since leaving in 93, I've never been back. Seems like a lifetime ago :-P

I've been known to dabble with a few street legal conversions.

I've done like 4 of my own, and about three for members here. Most tail light sockets have the provisions for dual filament bulbs, but you have to solder in a wire in and build up a contact with solder

Your headlight may accept an h4 bulb, or at least there's SOME dual filament version of the same bulb base. Easy enough to do.

Don't forget, you need a horn, and it needs to run of DC power (battery type +/- power) vs AC which alot of bike use for their headlights. Seen alot of guys run the horn off the headlight power, resulting in a headlight that dims when you blow the horn, and a horn that sounds like total crap

Blinkers are not required in texas. We have the option of hand signals. I actually use both. Hand signal gets people's attention better than a small led flasher.

This leads me to my next tip.... if you use led flashers, you need a relay that is FOR LED FLASHERS. The power going into it need to be converted to dc, if its not already. There's a thread not to long ago of a guy that didn't.

Last edited:
Welcome. There are a lot of good forums out there. This one just happens to be better.

I'd definitely put a post on the regionals in ADVRider for someone who's gone through the process in Oregon. The technical part is easy, the legal part varies greatly from state to state.

And welcome BTW! I'm in & out of LA pretty regularly & actually we considered a relo to the Hollywood Hills area back in the crash when your property prices fell from stratospheric to merely ludicrous!

Back