• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Good Arai or Shoei dealer in DFW area?

Reaction score
Pretty much what the title says, is there a dealer in the area that has a good selection of either of the brands' products? A couple of places I go to that are listed as dealers, I get there and they mostly carry HJC and only 1-2 helmets by Shoei. I'd like to try on several different ones...who has a decent sized inventory?

No Shoei at MotoLiberty.

Good selection of Arai.

At least that was the case last winter when I bought mine. They didn't have the color I wanted, so they shipped it to me.

Go to Motoliberty and get Arai. Won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycle Gear always has a great selection of sizes within each model. Their pricing is very competitive.

Dave

Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone is interested. I'm starting to get around to trying on helmets. I'm mainly focusing on Arai right now since they have the different shapes available. I'm also only trying on full face helmets.

So today I got to try out their Defiant, Signet-Q and RX-Q models. I first tried the Signet which they list as a long oval; their site says it adds 5mm. Overall a nice fit, I can slightly move the helmet from front to back and vice versa due to the added length but no real complaints.

Next I tried the Defiant. Nice and tight fit, slightly tighter than the Signet since it doesn't have that extra 5mm. They list this one as intermediate oval which the majority of their helmets are. Almost immediately I noticed 2 pressure points on the top back of my head starting to hurt. That was enough to tell me this one wasn't going to work out.

Lastly the RX-Q. About the same fit as the Defiant and similarly tight, but thankfully did not notice any pressure points causing pain. Arai's site is confusing as they list this helmet on one page as the intermediate oval and on another they say it's a round oval.

Tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to try on the Corsair and Vector.

Try on a Shoei or Bell too. Shoei's fit me perfect and Arais don't. Every company's fit is a little different. You'll prefer one over the other.

I had a little more time today to try on a lot of other helmets. Frankly I'm tired of it now, slipping them on and off repeatedly.

Anyway, one thing I noticed is that I can wear a small in Arai but I tried some Shoei and I need a medium with them. Should I try to stick with a small? Overall i think the Arai is a little more comfortable. Shoei, even in medium, seems to have a very tight fit especially when trying to put it on and it really squeezes the **** out of the crown of my head.

I tried on another Defiant model today just to make sure and today I had no complaints about it. I suspect last night may have been a fluke with the pressure points or maybe I was getting a headache. I think the two I liked best were the Defiant and RX-Q but the Defiant seems to have better air ports.

I tried on a Bell and absolutely will not wear that brand. Even before I got it on fully it was hurting. ACV was about the same as Shoei for me.

Sizing varies from brand to brand and even from model to model within the brand. The helmet should be tight, but no pressure points. It will "pack in" and feel looser in a few weeks. So snug, yeah?

I kid of agree that there are too many choices. i can't decide on which helmet to get. I have a Shoei head, and can't decide between the GT Air and the RF 1200. My old helmet was an X-8 - yeah I know - should have retired that 3 years ago !

It wasn't a big deal when helmets were $300 - now when they are double that my decision process is very slow ...

Dave.

Back