• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barstow to Vegas LAB2LV 2016

Hoping that all you Aces show to ride with Donny next year and perhaps a couple of people who would not mind a slower pace as I plan to give it a go (and possibly a go-around on the hardest parts) next year!

I'll ride it with you if I don't volunteer. After my first year DNF, I decided that I would take it slow and easy in 2013. That wasn't so good for my riding companions, but we all decided to do our own pace on day two and it was a good decision for all of us. While the hot dogs were headed to Red Rock canyon I headed up the DS route which included a beautiful trip over Rocky Gap Road. Great riding without worrying if I was going to have to find help carrying my BMW over the boulder field in Red Rocks.

If a bunch of people want to go from Texas we might be able to trailer out several bikes and let some people fly then ride. Spirit will get someone to Vegas from Houston for $137.

m

I'll ride it with you if I don't volunteer. After my first year DNF, I decided that I would take it slow and easy in 2013. That wasn't so good for my riding companions, but we all decided to do our own pace on day two and it was a good decision for all of us. While the hot dogs were headed to Red Rock canyon I headed up the DS route which included a beautiful trip over Rocky Gap Road. Great riding without worrying if I was going to have to find help carrying my BMW over the boulder field in Red Rocks.

If a bunch of people want to go from Texas we might be able to trailer out several bikes and let some people fly then ride. Spirit will get someone to Vegas from Houston for $137.

m

Sounds great Meriden! Lets start planning! I'm certain we will be driving out and should be able to help with the trailer concept.

Hoping that all you Aces show to ride with Donny next year and perhaps a couple of people who would not mind a slower pace as I plan to give it a go (and possibly a go-around on the hardest parts) next year!

I might go for the slower part of the ride! lol

In 2013 one of our riding partners was on a BMW 650 Dakar same you have. He was a noob also, you have AARP skills. Lol Dave- you crack me up buddy.:rofl:

One good thing is I/WE have almost an entire year to noodle on this. :trust:

Lets do some noodlin tomorrow night..:loco:

"my6, A BMW single is about as big as anyone would want to take on the hard routes. Most of the BMWs that make the DS or hard routes are either GS singles, G650 series bikes or HP2s. This is definitely not 1200GS territory! Maybe Wildernessrider can tell us which model was dead at the bottom of the ravine.

m "

Attachments

• 15137566_10211631407165462_3306176953082554379_o.jpg
    15137566_10211631407165462_3306176953082554379_o.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 15134670_1247646918607594_122071763274179199_n.jpg
    15134670_1247646918607594_122071763274179199_n.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 208
WR! I did see an AT at day one check in/start, but never got to see the rider or bike again, so not sure how he & the bike faired out on the course. Before I left out for Cali, I did find a good patch of nice deep sugar sand over by the San Jac River to do a sand ride test on my AT. With the stock street slippers on...she did not dig sand at all, and I did not dig trying to ride it in sand at all. Don't think my twin will be doing any desert runs. The WR-450 on the other hand gobbles up a sand run like a starving dog wolfing up a steak. Two back to back years of doing this ride without so much as a whimper out of it. Great bike! A big special THANKS is also due to the Cycle Shack North crew for helping me get it battle ready at the last minute. Thanks again fellas! Next year maybe a few of the Cycle Shack bunch could join us? Hoping we can make a stronger showing with the Texas rider contingent. Start planning for next year everyone!

:popcorn:

Ready to hear about the last day into Las Vegas? Got any showgirl pictures for us? What was Red Rocks like?

Announced to the wife that I was thinking of going back next year and didn't get my head ripped off. Bought a new Ohlins for the X just a minute ago and one of the KTM 300 guys on ADV is riding it this year. Decisions decisions...
Was that ktm 300 guy on advrider.com me? So long as I can get of work LAB2V2017 is a go!

I had such a blast in 2014, really a great event. Can't wait to ride out there again

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Was that ktm 300 guy on advrider.com me? So long as I can get of work LAB2V2017 is a go!

I had such a blast in 2014, really a great event. Can't wait to ride out there again

Hey, noticed you posting up on ADV 300 thread just in the past couple of days.

I was thinking about RAZR, who has been part of the D37 group for some time. He was riding an Arizona plated 300 for the first time this year. He posted up that he really had a good time on the bike and experienced no problems during the ride. I didn't expect the terrain to pose problems for the bike, just the logistics.

I did the ride in 2012 and again in 2013. Missed 2014, 2015 and 2016 because of school, but I'm aching to ride it again in 2017. We'll see how the cards are dealt. At this point I can't decide if I'm going to put the Scotts on the X or just take the 300. Then again, I may just volunteer as a pay back to the group.

Registration will be on us before we know it.

m

Register up and ride that 300! You will enjoy it a lot more on a proper dirt bike. Looks like a good bunch of us TX riders are planning on making a 2017 lab2v assault. Good to see!

Not sure if it will give 90 miles, but it does give pretty good mileage. She will carry a Rotopax just to insure she can make the distance.

A 1.5l smartwater bottle is super tough (and fuel proof). 2 will hual plenty of gas to get that 250 to 90 miles..

Rotopax, primus or fuel proof water bottles will work. Just have to have that range.

If I take (read keep) the 300, I may have to put a fan kit on it.

As for planning now, the main thing that needs to happen early is arranging the hotel in Barstow. We can always cancel later. Probably need to start a new thread for 2017. Donny, did you ever find a hotel you liked?

Yes I did find a much nicer hotel. It is the Comfort Suites, the rooms and staff were very nice comparatively. The bad news is it is on the extreme North end of town, while rider check in, and those other flea bag hotels are on the south end (most apropriate!) So you start the morning with a brisk 11 mile ride down I-15 to the official starter booth for check in. The good news is that Dennys is in the adjoining parking lot to the Comfort Suites hotel. Since most of the riders are 11 miles away, there are no lines to get seating and the food comes right out. I will for sure stay there again this year. Yes I think we might as well start our 2017 LAB2V thread up. We all know we wanna go, and we're all gonna keep talking about it on the forum until we do go.

Comfort Suites is even pricier than the Ramada. Coupling that with the logistics and bike security it is not attractive to me.

If I can make the trip will try this place:
California Inn
No frills hotel but decent reviews and half the price.
Only a 1,000 ft easy walk from the BSA paddock near the Ramada so you have overnight bike safety.
There is an IHOP in their lot for 24/7 coffee and food.Screenshot_2017-01-11-09-36-28.jpg

_

Back