• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Grip Preference

Bines

Reaction score
This is Shirley a personal preference. Do you like larger diameter or more narrow grips? Hard or soft? Smooth or textured?

I'm okay with the grips on my bike. Just okay though. My last bike had larger diameter grips. I think I'd like to have larger again. Maybe soft, too. I wear gloves, so any texture except slick should work.

Anyone use those slip over grips? There's Grip Budddies, Grip Puppies, Grab On Grips. Cycle Gear has some slip on grips.

depends on riding, on the KLR (playing in the dirt) I like smaller diameter. But on the my GSA (or Wing or RT or .... etc) I enjoy the larger diameter. I have grip puppys on my GSA right now. I did an install thread years ago, let me find it.

I just covered the worn out grips on my RT with foam covers. Replacement heated grips are pricey and I figured it was worth a try. The fatter grips were uncomfortable at first, but I'm getting used to them. They are probably the size of stock HD grips.

Trying out some of the Origional Grip Puppies now and so far they are a nice addition

714 pro grips
progrip-714-dual-sport-rally-motorcycle-grips.jpg

714 pro grips
progrip-714-dual-sport-rally-motorcycle-grips.jpg

Love these for dirt bikes. I prefer the BMW tapered sport grips on street bikes (even put them on my FJR):

DSC00063.jpg

The GS has narrow heated grips which I can't replace, so I put grip puppies on them for added diameter.

On my 2 stroke I am running Pro Taper pillow tops, and love them. Helps cut the vibrations.

Anything else and I like a half waffle dirt style grip.

I like the fatter Pro-Grip 737 for all-day riding, but narrow half-waffle grips for the best grip on dirtbikes.

Pro-Grip 737
g6418.jpg

I like Grip Buddies (beemerBuddies) and had them on several bikes. The older ones wore out too quickly. The newer material lasts a bit longer, but do still wear out after a while. Plus the adhesive makes a royal mess of the grip underneath. They are also too thick for grip heaters to work well.

I bought some super cheap foam slip overs off ebay. I have small hands but I think a pot of my numbness comes from gripping small handles so Im going to see if these help.

Thanks for the replies.

Why is a smaller grip preferred on a dirt bike? I assume it's to get more hand, therefore more grip, on the handlebar over rough terrain. We only had a kludged gocart as kids at my cousin's.

I prefer a thinner profile grip, probably due to my dirt bike riding origins. Heck, I even had Pro Taper Pillow Top grips on my most recent street ride, a V65 Magna.

I like Grip Puppies, they offer good grip and look clean.

Attachments

• grip_puppy_fitted1.jpg
    grip_puppy_fitted1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for the replies.

Why is a smaller grip preferred on a dirt bike? I assume it's to get more hand, therefore more grip, on the handlebar over rough terrain. We only had a kludged gocart as kids at my cousin's.

small diameter grip=less hand & forearm fatigue

Back