• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Physical Exertion On Motorcycle vs Cage

Bines

Reaction score
The answer is motorcycle.

The question is, which is more physically demanding, a motorcycle or a cage?

For tl;dr version, skip to "Anyway".

We got Fitbits as part of a wellness program at work. Several of us participate in a work week challenge to see who can get the most steps per day and per week. The guys raz me about racking up steps on the motorcycle. They drive cages.

Okay. So, Fitbit has its issues. It uses a three axis accelerometer to determine what it counts as steps. It does misconstrue some motion as steps. Usually, us-u-al-ly, it mistakes on the high side. This is true, and should be accounted for. Okay. Fine.

I've found I get the least steps by wearing it in my right leg pocket. Seems fair. My bike is pretty smooth, but wearing it on my left (non dominate) wrist, as Fitbit recommends, will fool Fitbit into giving about 1,000 "extra" steps. It will count even more "extra" steps in the top case. I get that. Even a smooth bike has vibrations at the handlebar, and I'm working a clutch. The top case is elevated and on the tail. It gets some jostling. Okay. Fine. I've tried other places. Right leg pocket counts the least steps.

I've compared right leg pocket on mc to left wrist in truck. So far, truck gives 496 less steps. I should collect more data, but that's what I've got so far. We can delve deeper.

Anyway.

I say mc takes 496 steps worth of exertion more than truck because:

Truck = automatic
MC = six speed manual

Truck = four wheels. No balance required.
MC = two wheels. Constant balance required.

Truck = one foot and one hand driving, mostly.
MC = both feet and both hands required.

Truck = sitting in it and steering.
MC = whole body driving experience.

Truck = drive in street clothes. Sometimes minimum street clothes.
MC = atgatt.

Truck = AC, if I'd fix it.
MC = ha! Yeah. Right. Freezer in the winter. Oven in the summer.

What other greater physical demands can you think of?

I also believe the mental demands are greater on a motorcycle than in a cage.

So far, truck gives 496 less steps

LOL :rofl:

Really??? after my 17 hr shift, where I drive a truck back and forth from Houston I usually have at least 13000 steps extra. That sucker usually buzzes the 10k steps mark right in the middle of my route.

Whats your secret to keeping your steps that low so I don't p/o the misses. :duck:

I'm thinking shorter distance and maybe smaller truck. I'm only commuting in a pickup.

That's another observation about driving and Fitbit. Bumpy gravel roads, something with near washboard texture, will put it to sleep if I'm steering left handed. A shopping cart with a wobbly wheel will do it, too.

Is that 496 extra steps per day, or per week?

I've been curious about this too. A guy at my office has won the weekly fitbit challenge with 130k+ steps each week, around 9 miles of walking per day supposedly.

I was wondering how or if it would count on a mountain bike or dirt bike, compared to walking.

I was wondering how or if it would count on a mountain bike or dirt bike, compared to walking.

It does. Even got steps/miles when Kayaking on the lake.

But, it does make a difference which fitbit you wear, wrist or hip.

496 per day.

I've had my Flex go into sleep mode on a bicycle. A rapid succession of vibrations will do that. I haven't bicycled enough to build any data. I should really go ride now.

Kayaking also racks up "steps", and I think that's fair. It's supposed to be an activity monitor.

I dunno about all that fitbit stuff...

but a few weeks ago when i asked my physical therapist if i was cleared to ride, he said, "sure, all you do is sit there." so, i'd say motorcycling is the equivalent of reclining in your cage. Ha!

I dunno about all that fitbit stuff...
!

I asked sweet wife to let me wear hers at work, I walk miles in the beer house counting inventory, building orders, moving trucks and trailers in the yard....but she won't let me........she's skeered I think...:mrgreen:

Back