• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Harley-Davidson’s Hurdle: Attracting Young Motorcycle Riders

So they may or may not get into motorcycling... who cares?! Let them be.

And this, since the topic has split into being about kids today, and not only about what motorcycle brand sells what and why.

The youngest person I personally know on a motorcycle today is 26 years old, and he drives a Harley Davidson Switchback.

But so what if kids today don't want to ride motorcycles as much as we on TWT do? Maybe they want to bicycle, bike, run, camp, fish, hunt or paddle a kayak.

Fishing license sales are up, overall. They swing with the seasons, but overall, they are up. Kayak sales are up. People of all ages are still going outside to play.

If hunting is down, I didn't look it up, but if it's down, we need to consider urban sprawl and how expensive hunting has become.

Point is, just because, and if, fewer young people are doing one type of activity, even if it's motorcycling, that doesn't signal the decline of western civilization. Things ebb and flow.

If hunting is down, I didn't look it up, but if it's down, we need to consider urban sprawl and how expensive hunting has become.

Point is, just because, and if, fewer young people are doing one type of activity, even if it's motorcycling, that doesn't signal the decline of western civilization. Things ebb and flow.

You're right on about the cost of hunting. All of Texas except the national forest and a few other wildlife management areas are lease hunting. It's big business for landowners.

And true about leizure activities, they come and go in popularity. When I was a kid, water skiing with small boats with outboard motors was common. Nowdays, it's wake boards and surfing behind 24 ft monsters.

Front page article in the WSJ today. Apparently the push by Harley to offer more modern features and additional models of bikes is partly to blame for the large increase in recalls.

To be fair, BMW has a very large recall list too.

ducking.gif

RB

Harley-Davidson Bikes Feel Recall Sting

Hog maker’s recalls soar to 312,000 this year, up from an average of 94,000 in earlier years

By JAMES R. HAGERTY and TOM MCGINTY

Recalls of Harley-Davidson Inc. motorcycles have surged in the past two years, along with the cost of making repairs to the faulty bikes, potentially denting the company’s reputation at a time when its U.S. market share is falling.

U.S. government data compiled by The Wall Street Journal show recalls affecting about 210,000 Harley vehicles in 2014 and 312,000 so far in 2015. That compares with an average of 94,000 annually in the 10 years through 2013.

Michelle Kumbier, Harley’s senior vice president in charge of manufacturing and suppliers, said in an interview that the Milwaukee-based company was studying its manufacturing, design, testing and sourcing of supplies to see how future flaws might be avoided.

“We’re disappointed,” she said of the recalls. “We don’t find it acceptable.”

A Harley spokeswoman also said the number of motorcycle owners affected in the past two years is smaller than the numbers suggest because some bikes were recalled more than once.

Recent Harley recalls have involved problems including a faulty cylinder that could prevent the clutch from disengaging, a defective fuel-pump seal, and a clasp that could allow saddlebags to fly off the back of the bike. Harley reported 35 crashes or other incidents from the defects and six minor injuries.

“We’ve definitely noticed there have been more recalls than we like to see” in the past couple of years, said George Gatto, who owns a Harley motorcycle dealership in the Pittsburgh area. Many of the recalls have involved things that can be fixed quickly, he said: “A lot of times we’ll do it while they wait.”

Mr. Gatto points to the profusion of new Harley models and features introduced in the past several years. Starting with some 2014 models, Harley introduced engine-cooling technology that uses water and a liquid coolant. It also put hydraulic clutches on more motorcycles. Problems with some of the new clutches led to a recall in October 2013 that included an unusual “do-not-ride” warning.

New technology tends to increase recalls, Mr. Gatto said: “When they make big changes, this is what happens.”

The recalls have cost Harley about $30 million in the three years through 2014. That is up from $7.9 million in the three years through 2004, even though Harley sold about 27% more motorcycles in the U.S. in the earlier period.

One Harley customer dismayed by all the recalls is Dan Harvey, an insurance adjuster who lives near Townsend, Tenn. He has purchased half a dozen Harleys since 1999. His current bike—a 2013 Ultra Limited touring model, which cost him about $26,000—hasn’t been recalled, but all the recall news has contributed to his sense that Harley motorcycles have grown less reliable.

“I’m seriously considering changing brands for my next bike,” Mr. Harvey said. One thing that so far has kept him loyal to Harley, he said, is good service from his local dealership.

Robin Farley, an equity analyst at UBS Group in New York, said recalls were a concern but added: “I don’t think we’ve seen anything that’s going to change the way the core customer feels” about the brand.

The spike in recalls comes as Harley’s market share is dwindling, though it remains far larger than any other motorcycle maker in the U.S. Harley’s share of the U.S. market for motorcycles with engines of 601 cubic centimeters or greater skidded to 47.5% in the second quarter from 50.3% a year earlier and 54.9% for all of 2013.

‘When they make big changes, this is what happens.’
—George Gatto, Harley dealer

Harley has blamed the drop on discounting by rivals from Japan and Europe. Ms. Farley of UBS said she believes other factors include the aging of Harley’s baby boomer customers and tougher competition, including from the revived Indian brand produced by Polaris Industries Inc.

Honda Motor Co., one of Harley’s largest rivals in the U.S. market, also has had relatively high recall totals recently—involving up to 143,000 bikes in 2014 and 60,000 so far this year. Honda doesn’t disclose U.S. unit sales, making it hard to compare rates of recall with Harley.

A Honda spokesman said its recalls involved parts used in several popular models over a number of years and that the company had a “proactive approach to identifying potential safety issues.” Recalls by other major rivals have been much smaller.

U.S. regulators have become more aggressive after facing congressional criticism for failing to spot safety problems. National Highway Traffic Safety Administrator Mark Rosekind, who took over in December, has decried what he views as an auto industry that reacts to defects instead of taking a proactive approach.

Harley in recent years also has reorganized its factories to gain efficiency and begun using more temporary workers. Its manufacturing executive, Ms. Kumbier, said those changes aren’t to blame. Rather, she said, recent recalls have resulted from a variety of glitches, including a design flaw that allowed the saddlebags to fall off and overly porous metal that compromised clutches.

In a 2014 lawsuit now pending in U.S. District Court for the eastern district of Northern Illinois, Michael Dvorak of Park Ridge, Ill., alleges that a clutch failure on his 2013 Harley Softail motorcycle caused the throttle to stick, sending him hurtling across several of his neighbors’ lawns before he tipped over the machine.

The suit says Mr. Dvorak broke four ribs and hurt his back, accuses Harley of negligence and seeks more than $300,000 of damages. It also says the clutch was the subject of a recall in October 2013.

Harley has said the recall didn’t apply to the clutch on Mr. Dvorak’s motorcycle and has denied it was negligent.

Last edited:
I'm convinced the problem lies in the sourcing of parts from China.

They have been using the Toyota Production System for years (like everybody else) so why not overseas parts too?

According to the 10K, Honda delivered 710,000 motorcycles and ATVs in North America for 2015, so why can't they compare recall rates?

601CCs, why the arbitrary qualifier if not to artificially inflate the sales numbers? Is this a Motorcycle Industry Council standard?

and lastly
What is the scoop with a failed clutch making the throttle stick? Did the clutch disable the kill switch too? At the risk of indulging in schadenfreude, the mental image is one of a middle aged first time rider letting the bike get away from him. I hope he recovers quickly and completely, but it is hard to see how that was Harley's fault.

I'm also confused by the clutch/throttle statement. I'm not so concerned by what caused it. I'm more concerned that it seems to be a single incident, and thus shouldn't have a place in a story about recalls which, by nature, are to fix a repetitive problem. And I agree with Meriden's suspicion - in the auto world, lawsuits about mysterious sticking throttles quite often turn out to result from a person whose foot was on the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal. There was a famous Jeep Cherokee lawsuit to that effect.

An interesting addendum to some of the conversations in this thread:

Harley-Davidson is stalling, but don't look for discounts

"Faced with disappointing earnings and declining market share, companies typically reduce prices to regain a competitive edge. Harley-Davidson (HOG), though, is anything but typical. [Harley-Davidson] has struggled lately in the face of heightened competition and the rising dollar. But according to Harley-Davidson, now isn't the time to cut prices even though its market share fell 3.9 percent in the latest quarter."

They've used this market tactic repeatedly since the import tariff days of the 1980s, and and it'll be interesting to see if it continues to work for them in this comparatively unusual retail motorcycle climate.

Question, Tim - Do you know if that statement is referring to offering discounts off of list price, or actually lowering the list price itself.

Long-term Harley Davidson common stock chart.

s154xy.png

As we have mentioned before, compelling rival brands, like Polaris' Indian and Japanese rivals "clones" continue to threaten Harley's leadership position, the adventure bike craze grabbing more affluent buyers - products with new innovation at similar prices steal share too.

The average HOG age is also staying fairly static based on my research - HOG replenishment by younger riders is rather anemic.

RB

I think HD may be caught between a rock and a hard place. A more modern riding set who isn't interested in what HD serves up. And the old guard, many of who may be intolerant of the idea their marque building any models that don't fit the company mold.

I'm thinking it might make sense for HD to create a subsidiary brand. That way, there's no worry of "diluting," so to speak, the Harley name. But the new brand can build to the other markets. And they can still part share, as well as sharing dealerships. Just a thought.

I think HD may be caught between a rock and a hard place. A more modern riding set who isn't interested in what HD serves up. And the old guard, many of who may be intolerant of the idea their marque building any models that don't fit the company mold.

I'm thinking it might make sense for HD to create a subsidiary brand. That way, there's no worry of "diluting," so to speak, the Harley name. But the new brand can build to the other markets. And they can still part share, as well as sharing dealerships. Just a thought.

didnt they try that with Buell, but didn't work out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually a smart idea. They tried and failed with Buell but it was actually great products with poor support on the dealership side.

You're not going to get the bandana selling crowd interested in carrying another line so it would probably take a whole other dealer network. Honda does not sell Acuras at Honda dealerships.

That was because HD management choked the living daylights out of Erik Buell's creativity with idiotic micro-management. Deep down, HD corporate culture wanted Buell to fail so they can prove to the faithful that they will stick to their core.

Even if it a subsidiary or sub brand, like Indian is to Victory, it would be mighty difficult to shake off the corporate identity. HD will still catch feces from the old faithful. Besides, the dealer network are even worse than corporate in their unwillingness to deal with any other business model, other than chrome and potato.

The grotesquerie of inevitability is thick with this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They did, and it failed. I don't pretend to understand the relationship between HD and Buell. But I suspect it's something very different from, say, Polaris & Victory.

I suspect the issues were less about the products and more about upper management personality issues. And maybe a dash of not coming to grips with smaller-volume products. Remember that 30 years ago, GMC came out with a motor home that was wildly successful by motor home standards. But in GMC's mind, sales volume was too small, and they shut it down.

Actually a smart idea. They tried and failed with Buell but it was actually great products with poor support on the dealership side.

You're not going to get the bandana selling crowd interested in carrying another line so it would probably take a whole other dealer network. Honda does not sell Acuras at Honda dealerships.

Of course, everybody who buys a Harley isn't a Bandito poser. But they do cater to that mystique. So maybe the dealers are uncomfortable with mixing cultures, so to speak.

Then again, if HD came out with a different marque and gave the franchises to non-HD dealers, you would now have a dealer selling a full line of Honda-Yamaha-Kawasaki-Polaris, and a dealer down the street selling....... Harley, with a potentially diminishing market share.

Like I said before, it's quite possible HD is stuck between a rock and a hard place, in trying to break out of their own carefully cultivated image.

On from mr-roboto's points...we know the competition from Japan is unfounded as I seriously doubt that any more than a very small percentage of metric cruiser buyers chose those as an option over a Harley. That's a red herring.

However, Victory's sales numbers are very indicative. A 59% overall growth in 2014 with 1st Q15 numbers up 74% over same period 2014. Now these play straight into HD's demographic, and not just that, between the Victory & Indian brands they have the chopper/custom, tourer and retro sub-genres thoroughly covered. All without the dreaded "rice burner" tag and apparel included, particularly with the top selling Klim brand.

Polaris is a double threat because, with it's diversified product line up and broad demographic appeal, it can better weather storms in one segment and divert resources to address issues as they appear.

Does the growth of the Urban ADV craze affect Harley? I've been called up on this before but I truly believe it does. Largely thanks to our whiny friend Charlie the cool look may no longer a bandana and chaps but a fully farkled GS. BMW shipped over 40,000 of the water boxers in 2014. They do not break out sales figures completely in the US market but overall Boxer sales grew 74% year over year in August. Fashion is fashion and perhaps the ADV is not a huge competition to HD's market but I'd wager it's more significant than the metric cruiser.

Of course, to quote Mark Twain "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" Harley have weathered and survived storms far greater than these and have demonstrated that there will always be a core group who will purchase their products irrespective. Those of us who remember the tatty dealership on Harry Hines & Royal know that the Motor Company can always pull in it's horns and survive. Not that that would stop me shorting them right now.

On from mr-roboto's points...we know the competition from Japan is unfounded as I seriously doubt that any more than a very small percentage of metric cruiser buyers chose those as an option over a Harley. That's a red herring.

However, Victory's sales numbers are very indicative. A 59% overall growth in 2014 with 1st Q15 numbers up 74% over same period 2014. Now these play straight into HD's demographic, and not just that, between the Victory & Indian brands they have the chopper/custom, tourer and retro sub-genres thoroughly covered. All without the dreaded "rice burner" tag and apparel included, particularly with the top selling Klim brand.

Polaris is a double threat because, with it's diversified product line up and broad demographic appeal, it can better weather storms in one segment and divert resources to address issues as they appear.

Does the growth of the Urban ADV craze affect Harley? I've been called up on this before but I truly believe it does. Largely thanks to our whiny friend Charlie the cool look may no longer a bandana and chaps but a fully farkled GS. BMW shipped over 40,000 of the water boxers in 2014. They do not break out sales figures completely in the US market but overall Boxer sales grew 74% year over year in August. Fashion is fashion and perhaps the ADV is not a huge competition to HD's market but I'd wager it's more significant than the metric cruiser.

Of course, to quote Mark Twain "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" Harley have weathered and survived storms far greater than these and have demonstrated that there will always be a core group who will purchase their products irrespective. Those of us who remember the tatty dealership on Harry Hines & Royal know that the Motor Company can always pull in it's horns and survive. Not that that would stop me shorting them right now.

A note about Polaris. I suspect you know way more about the market than I do, and maybe you can comment on this. What I've read in magazines is that Polaris will begin differentiating between Indian and Victory, with Indian carrying the traditional cruiser/tourer banner, and Victory moving toward other MC markets.

A note about Polaris. I suspect you know way more about the market than I do, and maybe you can comment on this. What I've read in magazines is that Polaris will begin differentiating between Indian and Victory, with Indian carrying the traditional cruiser/tourer banner, and Victory moving toward other MC markets.

This is already happening. Victory gives them a platform to experiment with alternatives whilst the traditional buyer is serviced by Indian. I notice a much more aggressive look and feel to the Victory product line up (which includes an electric brand) as opposed to the more evocative look to Indian.

The entry level Indian (Scout) has a very competitive price point.

Question, Tim - Do you know if that statement is referring to offering discounts off of list price, or actually lowering the list price itself.

For example, Triumph and many other manufacturers directly in H-D's competition circle offer things like late season discounts, incentive offers, and awesome deals on holdovers. H-D generally never embraced that business model.

...from the article in the WSJ:

The Harley dealership in Manhattan’s trendy Tribeca district tries to project a youthful image. It posts pictures of motorcycle outings on Instagram, and the barista at its espresso bar sports dyed-blue hair, matching one of the glossy motorcycles nearby.

:rofl:

...hipster silliness.

RB

---

Harley-Davidson Tries to Rejuvenate Motorcycle Sales

Harley finds it hard to get past macho act that worked with boomer men

By JAMES R. HAGERTY
Updated Jan. 11, 2016

Nicole Villagran, a 30-year-old promotions manager at a radio station in San Francisco, is thinking about upgrading from the Kawasaki Ninja 250r motorcycle she has used to zip around the Bay Area for a decade.

She likes the look and roar of motorcycles made by Harley-Davidson Inc. “Yet I feel like it’s more of a lifestyle, and I don’t know if I fit in,” Ms. Villagran said. “Something about guys who ride Harleys seem like a tough crowd.”

As Harley-Davidson and its dealers look for ways to regain lost market share, they are finding it hard to let go of the macho act that has worked so well with baby boomer men.

Amid disappointing sales, Harley’s stock price is down about a third from a year ago, and the company’s share of the market for large motorcycles in the U.S. slipped to 52% in the third quarter from 56% two years before. A spate of recalls of defective bikes hasn’t helped.

Chief Executive Matt Levatich has vowed to step up Harley’s long-standing efforts to appeal to younger adults and women in general. The Milwaukee-based company says it plans to raise its marketing spending by 65% in 2016 as part of a drive to stop the slide.

Harley won’t discuss those spending plans, but its dealers are putting out a mixed message. While many are trying to attract younger buyers and women, much of their marketing still caters to grizzled men reliving their youth.

‘Something about guys who ride Harleys seem like a tough crowd.’
—Nicole Villagran, who owns a Kawasaki Ninja 250r motorcycle

The Doobie Brothers, a band whose heyday was in the 1970s, performed at the grand opening of a giant dealership in Scottsdale, Ariz., in November. Prime floor space often goes to big and loud chrome bikes rather than sleek and modern models. At periodic “bikini bike washes,” Harley dealers hire women in skimpy swimwear to sponge down motorcycles.

That sounds like something “for old dirty pervs,” said Ms. Villagran. “It’s not like Harley is having wash parties with young guys washing my bike, right?”

Harley said it sold more than seven times more large motorcycles to women than its nearest competitor in 2014.

Harley’s overall sales of motorcycles and related items totaled an estimated $5.33 billion in 2015, down about 4% from a year earlier, according to FactSet.

Some brands manage to rejuvenate their appeal. Procter & Gamble Co.’s Old Spice deodorant five years ago attracted new fans among young adults by showing zany ads featuring a shirtless actor who advised women to tell their men Old Spice was better than “lady-scented body wash.” P&G’s marketing “redefined manliness in a way that was relevant for millennials,” said Allen Adamson, a branding consultant.

Oldsmobile is a cautionary tale, though. General Motors Co. spent billions on new models and marketing for that division in the late 1990s—insisting in ads that it wasn’t “your father’s Oldsmobile”—but failed to attract enough young customers. Some critics said the changes alienated older fans of the car while leaving young adults unimpressed. GM stopped making Oldsmobiles in 2004.

Ted Wright, chief executive of Atlanta-based marketing company Fizz, said young adults won’t react to a hard sell but appreciate craftsmanship and tradition. Mr. Wright said Harley needs to tell stories about that brand that strike young adults as interesting and relevant.

The Harley dealership in Manhattan’s trendy Tribeca district tries to project a youthful image. It posts pictures of motorcycle outings on Instagram, and the barista at its espresso bar sports dyed-blue hair, matching one of the glossy motorcycles nearby.

Yet the Tribeca store gives most of its prime window space to chrome-laden behemoths costing $28,000 and up—the sort that appeal to 60-year-old dentists. Harley’s Street models, costing less than $9,000 and designed for a younger set, are mostly relegated to the basement. The Street models, introduced two years ago, “have yet to gain a lot of traction,” said Jim Lovegrove, general sales manager for the Tribeca store.

Harley doesn’t disclose sales for specific models. The company’s chief financial officer, John Olin, told analysts in a recent call that the company “couldn’t be more pleased with the overall rollout of the Street.

Some dealers don’t see a burning need for change. Bob Parsons, the 65-year-old founder of GoDaddy.com and owner of the Scottsdale Harley dealership, said: “Everybody likes to look a little bit ******, and nothing says that better than a Harley shirt with a skull on it.” Harley bikes are for those who can afford them, and those people are generally older, Mr. Parsons said.

Others are tweaking the message. Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson puts on concerts at its store in Maryville, Tenn., often featuring younger country stars such as Jason Isbell and Sturgill Simpson. “It exposes young people to our brand,” said dealership owner Scott Maddux. He also donates motorcycles and parts to high schools so students can learn by customizing them.

If Harley doesn’t win over the younger generation, “what am I going to be doing in 10 years?” asked George Gatto, a Harley dealer in Pittsburgh. Mr. Gatto, 53, has rejuvenated his staff since taking the dealership over from his parents a few years ago. Many of his father’s employees looked “like Santa Claus in leathers,” he said, and weren’t good at dealing with women or young people. He recently hired a 22-year-old woman as his marketing manager.

Mr. Gatto doesn’t want to go too far. He typically hires classic-rock or blues bands to entertain customers at special events. Hip hop would be risky, he said: “The core riders are not going to like that.”

Last edited:
How 'bout a new marketing strategy, along the lines of "You meet the nicest people on a Harley." Oh wait........

I'm a sucker for iconic American brands. I own a Zippo lighter and a Kabar knife, even though I really have no use for either.

With that in mind, I really hope to want a Harley one day. It certainly is a classic Americana brand, but they just don't make anything that interests me.

I'd like to have a Corvette or a Cadillac for similar reasons...they're historic American brands. The difference is those two have kept up with the times and make products that are worthy of buying for reasons other than the name. Harley just doesn't do that for me.

That's why I really want to want a Harley someday.

It says something when the writer in the Wall Street Journal has to explain who the Doobie Brother's are. I wouldn't underestimate HD's ability to reinvent itself and it's brand. Maybe they should have picked a band from the '80s.

Motor Company Trivia Question: How much of HD's sales are made up of apparel, stickers and other general merchandise?

Last edited:
I'd like to have a Corvette or a Cadillac for similar reasons...they're historic American brands. The difference is those two have kept up with the times and make products that are worthy of buying for reasons other than the name. Harley just doesn't do that for me.

Good examples, both companies found themselves recently in exactly the same position as Harley does today. Both have struggled to throw off an image (perception) and QC issues (reality). Corvette's success has been somewhat greater than Cadillac's as even with a fantastic product they struggle in the US to gain traction against the Germans and in Europe sales are pitiful.

Sometimes companies have to deliberately discard their demographic in order to secure the future. It's a difficult decision and almost impossible to get by Wall Street. Lexus & Infiniti are facing the same conundrum right now.

Last edited:
Gee, if only Harley could somehow have a sport bike sub brand that also made an adventure bike based on innovative technology. Seems like what they would need now to compete in the younger demographic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back