• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Africa Twin debut?

That's just 28 days from now. Maybe the seat will be low enough for Kat:rider:

Longer than waiting for a chicken to hatch!
Yes, great for Kat! Just so we all have the 5 different colors! Dont want people thinking we are starting our own AT gang! Which , actually, we will be a super cool group!

new-honda-africa-twin-rumored-to-be-a-rival-for-the-bmw-r1200gs-rather-disappointing-83625_1.jpg

Beautiful as that thing is, I can't help thinking how hard it'll be to see potholes. :eek2: I'm assuming a clear windscreen will be a no cost option. ;-)

Beautiful as that thing is, I can't help thinking how hard it'll be to see potholes. :eek2: I'm assuming a clear windscreen will be a no cost option. ;-)

I'd just hat a really high seat height. I rode a F800GS a couple weeks back. 35 inch seat height was way to tall for me. Had to side saddle it at stops.

That low mounted front fender makes me wonder if the African Twin is really designed for off road. I remember Kat wittingly writing that her TDub's front fender's ability to hold mud must be a feature. Hers was so packed with mud at Terlingua that she couldn't steer it any more. I look on the African Twin as a great replacement for my KLR. It's light years advanced, made by Honda, probably weighs near the KLR weight, and is much more powerful. But the fender height makes me wonder if it's posing as a 50/50 bike. My Tenere (90/10 with my ability) weighs at least a hundred more pounds of the guessed weight of the AT. Near 600 pounds is significant when only the balls of my feet are reaching the ground. Light bikes are a joy to ride. Every time I ride the KLR on the street it's lower weight compared to the Tenere and RT makes it a great ride. I will sell the Tenere and the KLR if the AT is a great replacement for both bikes.

If the AT has an adjustable seat height that gets down to 32" or lower, it's going to sell to a lot of short legged riders, including me. I'll give up suspension travel for the ability to stay upright when going slow.

Am I too worried about the low front fender height?

Last edited:
I expect there will be high fender conversions, like there were on the KTM 950/990 ADV, for those who need mud clearance. Usually this means replacing some of the brake lines too.

Yep, wouldn't let the fender bother you. Most rally style bikes have a low fender, and Honda stated it is higher than most, GS, GSA, Tenere. Cheap easy fix. Plus, you will appreciate the low fender on road, no splatter and no big wind sail to shake bike.
We really don't want to ride in the mud anyways do we Zephyr? :rofl:

I will be in Tokyo the last week of July. I will try to gather all the intel I can while there.

I hope they can live up to the hype!

Safe travels,
TTR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That's just 28 days from now. Maybe the seat will be low enough for Kat:rider:

Robert, you and I will have to try out the demos that our dear friends are buying for us. :mrgreen:

Front fenders can be a muddy problem, for sure. Can something that pretty even go in mud legally? I guess we'll all be surprised some day soon.

There have been suggestions that specs for the bike might be released at the end of July.

It is supposed to debut in Europe this Fall and the consensus is a full marketing push will be launched with all the stuff you would usually find on a manufacturer's site about any specific model.

There is also some hope that industry media writers will be provided steeds for evaluation and review.

Back