• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My first Motorcycle GPS - 11 years ago!

cdc

Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Diaz
Just found this picture here under the Community tab (?).
This is a Magellan that I mounted on a Suzuki Sv650 on a Ram support and hard wired the fused cable the the battery. I still have it, it has a 10 meg hard drive and it worked flawlessly for a long time until I sold the bike.

I think the price of this was in the $1,300.oo range... :eek2:

First%20GPS_zpseqdplsiy.jpg

Last edited:
Re: My first GPS - 11 years ago!

Cool. That's probably about the time I got my Garmin ETrex.

Got you beat....

I got my Garmin GPS III+ April of 2001 or 14 years ago. Paid $361 for it, had Cyco-Active install the "V-Mod" (vibration modification) and that GPS is STILL on my current bike and works perfectly. It's been to 49 states and five Canadian provinces in everything from below freezing, torrential rain and desert heat. It's the only GPS I've ever owned.

2001? And I thought I was cheap. I have an '07 Garmin CSX76 that still gets used for hiking. But mostly, these days, it resides on the handlebars of my bicycle.

Got you beat....

I got my Garmin GPS III+ April of 2001 or 14 years ago. Paid $361 for it, had Cyco-Active install the "V-Mod" (vibration modification) and that GPS is STILL on my current bike and works perfectly. It's been to 49 states and five Canadian provinces in everything from below freezing, torrential rain and desert heat. It's the only GPS I've ever owned.

I lost the antenna on my III+, replaced the unit with a 5, then took the antenna off the 5 and put it back on the III+.

One feature of the III+ I haven't seen duplicated is the voltage reading you can set it to show, so you can monitor the charging system on your bike with it.

I bought my III+ in the late 90's, retired it about 2005 or 6. I still have it, though.

Last edited:

I LOVE that voltage display feature!

My Zumo 550 is only 9 y.o. :-(. It's done it all from my street rides to all of my dual sport adventures. :rider:

Got you beat....

"Maybe", but so far the above picture from the era I see on this thread...
:trust:

got my first GPS in 1985! in the Army.
Lensatic.jpg

First gps was in 1999 . Garmin. 3 + . Still have it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a couple of months ago the batteries in my GPSII plus grunged up and I pitched it in the trash. I still have a working GPSIII Plus I received as a gag gift at the Houston BMW Club Christmas party.

I remember the harassment my wife dished out when I bought that GPSII back in the 90s. She'd point at some landmark along the coast and say "There's the bridge (or whatever)" or "Isn't that platform on the chart?" Anyway, I miss the Standard Horizon GPS/plotter on my last boat. The marine equipment beats the stuffing out of anything they make for highway use.

ok cdc, you asked for it....
i-r2vGbP8-L.jpg

.....still looking for a shot of it on the bike from 'back then'.

I thought Leon's humor was gonna take the cake until Scott posted. Do either of you use LED's for night illumination?

ok cdc, you asked for it....
i-r2vGbP8-L.jpg

.....still looking for a shot of it on the bike from 'back then'.

Scott, I'm going to have to disqualify you, the "no re-creation" rule is in effect...:deal:

Wow, this was harder than I thought.... Silly tankbag covered up most of the shots, but I found one.

How about Saturday July 26th, 2001. Fairbanks AK to the Arctic Circle and back to Fairbanks at 416 miles.

Here's the big picture
i-zdM6RgP-XL.jpg

And the little dash area blown up where you can see it on the crossbar
i-FpWwfNH-XL.jpg
:deal: :mrgreen:

Does that work?

The eTrex that's mounted on my DR650 was purchased when I lived in CA. I moved to Texas in Nov 2000. I believe I've had it since the late 90's. It lived several years in a box unused though. Still a great little partner on the DR as it lasts two full days of riding on a set of rechargeable AA batteries.

Wow, this was harder than I thought.... Silly tankbag covered up most of the shots, but I found one.

How about Saturday July 26th, 2001. Fairbanks AK to the Arctic Circle and back to Fairbanks at 416 miles.

Here's the big picture

And the little dash area blown up where you can see it on the crossbar
i-FpWwfNH-XL.jpg
:deal: :mrgreen:

Does that work?

After a careful and lengthy analysis, the gps is not very visible....
:trust:

But, I believe you!
:)

Back